WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default I just want to sleep..............

When we started our hike in March we each carried a Big Agnes 2" air core pad. Very nice but just too heavy, and when I was so exhausted in the evening, having to face blowing that thing up was daunting. I'm setting out again in April and I don't want to carry that mattress. I have a Thermorest Z pad but when I try to sleep on that (or a 1" thick self inflating pad) I spend the entire night doing the rotisserie - turn from side to back to side to front to side .........and I don't sleep. I want a comfy pad that doesn't weigh as much as the Big Agnes. Does one exist??? I am 4' 10" tall and weigh 120 lbs if that's any help.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I use a Thermarest Prolite 3 short, about 13 oz. I'm about 5'6" and 170 lbs.

Images

Nope. Nothing lighter than the Big A with that much padding that I know of, and I've been looking really hard for one. You could go with a z-rest or ridge rest closed cell under a thermarest but it'll be a heavier combo than the Big A. Doesn't Big A make a very light(2 oz or so) inflater bag/pump?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Try cutting it down, I cut mine up and it turned out great. Doesnt take that much time to inflate now and it takes up a lot less room - 8" long x 5" wide x 3" thick. I use my Hiker Pro storage bag to hold it.

here is the link, the photos dont show up anymore but it explains how I did it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ight=big+anges

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    When we started our hike in March we each carried a Big Agnes 2" air core pad. Very nice but just too heavy, and when I was so exhausted in the evening, having to face blowing that thing up was daunting. I'm setting out again in April and I don't want to carry that mattress. I have a Thermorest Z pad but when I try to sleep on that (or a 1" thick self inflating pad) I spend the entire night doing the rotisserie - turn from side to back to side to front to side .........and I don't sleep. I want a comfy pad that doesn't weigh as much as the Big Agnes. Does one exist??? I am 4' 10" tall and weigh 120 lbs if that's any help.
    This dilema is the main reason that I have not slept on the ground since 2003, but I expect that you must have already considered and rejected the hammock option for some other reason. Best of luck at finding an acceptable ground solution.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Mrs. Baggins, since you are quite short, you might be able to use the z-pad plus a second piece of closed cell foam under your head and torso only (cut down a WalMart blue pad) Your legs will not need as much padding.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I have been quite pleased with the peformace of my Thermarest Ridgerest.

Kirby

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    In my younger days, so was I. however, as hikers get older, more paddiing is needed to be able to rest. I carry a BA insulated air core - heavy, but the only way I can get any sleep (but I am trying out hammock so no need to tell me about them )

for a while I used a Exped DAM (9 cm) - eventually I adapted a Coghlans air pump for blowing it up and it was not too bad for pumping the air mattress up - I made a little adapter to fit the pump nozzle to the air mattress valve from a couple shot pieces of two different sized plastic hose and a small piece of CCF to fill the gaps

these days I use one or more WW blue ccf pads in a hammock

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

Kirby

A Ridgerest isn't a pad, it's just a thick heavy groundcloth. Wait 30 years and tell me again how comfortable it is.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I have an extra Prolite short pad, it's been used a couple of times, I prefer the long one, PM me if you're interested
    ad astra per aspera

Images

I like a Ridgerest. If you can borrow one, try folding it in two, double thick might or might not work for you. You can figure the length stuff.

Some of those concrete flattened smashed chunks of ground don't work for me, I like pine needles. Good luck.

I saw a kids' size inflated mat at our local outdoor store, which might work for the sub 5' crowd. Narrower and shorter than the 66" Big Agnes, but lighter and still somewhat cushy. Pacific Outdoor Equip.? Not positive of the brand. Good luck, keep us posted. Mame
    "Live, Agnes, LIVE!"

I've been thru many different pads, started with the old floppy ensolite, went to a short standard thermy, then a ridgerest(crappy on ice/snow), then some thicker thermys like the full length standard/expedition, etc. Thermarest changed out all their names a couple of years ago so I had to relearn R values, weights and thicknesses, ho hum.

I lived on a Camp Rest at the tipi, went thru several as it became my main mattress on the ground of the lodge. I suppose tossing and turning has something to do with a sleeping pad, the thermys are fairly stiff but warm and comfortable overall.

On a couple of recent winter trips I took a Prolite 4 large(25x77x1.5)and it is very light for its size and comfy but a little thin on ice and snow. My standard load now for the winter is an Expedition thermy(discontinued)which at 25x77x1.75 is just about perfect for what I need. It is heavy, maybe 2 lbs 12 ozs . . . maybe even more. Heck, it might be 3 lbs 6 ozs . . .

My next pad will either be a thermarest Trail Comfort large(heavy)or an Exped downmat 9. I do like the wider pads, I'm spoiled with the 25 inch width and even though I'm sleeping on a 20 inch Standard down at my Chickasaw Creek tent every night, when I go backpacking I must/want/need the 25 inch. Keeps the knees and elbows from flopping off.

Images

Default Sleeping Pads

Check out www.pacoutdoor.com . They have an inflatable pad that measured 17x37x1.5 and weighs only 10.5 oz. It's called the "Uber Mtn" and is a little thicker than the regular "Uber Light" because it's classed as a four season pad. I know, you still have to inflate it, but it should be easier since it's a small pad, and weighs less than the BA.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mrs. Baggins: Check out Hennesee Hammocks. It will not necessitate a pad and it will all be lighter then: tent, groundcloth, rainfly, thermarest pad. I am 54 and will never go back to the ground unless I just have to. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I have an air core mummy and don't consider it heavy (1#5oz.).
    Is yours the insulated rectangular one. I imagine that is heavier.
    I experimented with my non-insulated pad and found that it is just as comfortable and much warmer if you put closed cell foam on top. You could just use a torso length piece of 3/8 inch ccf and only add about 6 oz.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default Foot pump

There's a foot pump by Exped, for their down mats, that's light, very effective, and forms a great pillow - saves all that huffing and puffing. I can go mighty light in order to justify the air core or downmat - a few nights on a z-rest is one thing, but week after week? i think not!

Anyway, it's all a trade off.
    V8
    -lyk2hyk

Images

Default Hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyWalker View Post
    Mrs. Baggins: Check out Hennesee Hammocks. It will not necessitate a pad and it will all be lighter then: tent, groundcloth, rainfly, thermarest pad. I am 54 and will never go back to the ground unless I just have to. -SunnyWalker
    But how do you always find trees to hang it in??? And doesn't the "sway" in the shape get to your back or make it hard to rollover? And weather issues? And the actual size of it? I have a Hubba freestanding tent that I love to death - not that heavy and very easy to set up and take down.

The idea of cutting up my Big Agnes......at $85 I'd hate to risk ruining it. We also do regular camping, tent and tent trailer, and it comes in very handy at those times. It's just too much to carry every day.

Thanks to everyone for all of the recommendations! I'll check out as many as I can.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Hammock for comfort.... done right you will most likely save weight.... there are many options for warmth and comfort....check out Hammockforums.net and JJ's site.

Pan
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++