WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Thru Hike departure time

I will be retiring from the Marine Corps in late 2009 (Aug-Oct time frame). My plan currently is to wait until March 2010 to start my thru-hike however, I am wondering what the conditions are like doing a NoBo right after I retire. I understand that I would be in the mountains for most of the winter months. Looking for the experience and recommendations of those here who have hiked NoBo and what they would say. I am probably going to stick to the original step off date to give me more time with the wife to set up all the final prep stuff (i.e., mail drops, gear checks, last minute planning). Just figured I would ask and see what you all would recommend.

Thanks for the help in advance....
    Tony

Images

Crusty if you started in August and headed south you would most likely be in the Smokies about right now. This means you would have nights in the 10-20 degree range with possible lows in the single digits on the really bad nights. There would be snow, not too deep normally but the chance it could be bad. You would probably be getting down to Springer around the middle to end of next month. It would not be too terribly bad for an old Marine to hack. If you waited until later than that you may as well wait until next Spring to start or do like me and start in January in the south if you are tired of waiting until spring.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Semper Fi Marine! If you retire (or go on terminal leave) in August, you could SOBO and be finished by January sometime or early February.

Just Jim

Images

Absolutly. I'm starting my terminal leave the 26th of this month and planned to start the next day. I've got so much leave accrued I'm getting paid for near 3.25 months of hiking.

But since I am so short I need a step stool to see myself in the mirror my unit has me doing NOTHING and I live a couple of miles from the AT - I'm planning to take some 4 day passes and start before my terminal leave even begins. Just consider the days off the trail this month as Zeros.

If this old Army guy can hike in ****ty weather, I know a Marine can get out there.

Good luck man.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Default Keeping to the original plan

I just talked to my wife tonight about my plan to hike the AT. She knew that I wanted to do the trail before I turned 50, however, she just found out tonight that I want to do a thru-hike in 2010. Surprisingly, she said ok. To be honest, wasn't sure what response I would have gotten however, I am going after this like Rocky after his wife came out of the coma and said "Win". LOL I appreciate the input and look to be more active on the boards now that the shadowy veil has been dropped and my lurking revealed.

Sgt Rock, look forward to meeting you someday at one of the events or on the trail itself. I have enjoyed/will continue to enjoy your postings.

Talk at you all in a while. (surfing whiteblaze)

Tony

Images

Already planning to step off down south as my Brother in Law lives near Atlanta. However, I will see what happens as the date get's closer. LOL

Thanks

Images

Good luck with that. Lets us know how we can help in the future.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Absolutly. I'm starting my terminal leave the 26th of this month and planned to start the next day...
    Hey Rock, why you leaving so early? Damn Cold!

Images

It's either sit around the house driving my wife nuts or just suck it up and go hiking.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

Yep, I'll be sitting around the house driving my husband nuts till I start my SOBO, but I'll be warm...

Were suppose to have a high ~45 degrees here in Florida tomorrow, DAMN COLD.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Tony, Marine to Marine, Semper Fi and best wished for your thru in 2010. to White Blaze, I'm sure that you'll find plenty of intl on here tohelp ypu in your thru planning. I saw that you're on Parris Island, I took an 11 week vacation there after I graduated from high school in 1987, graduating from Delta Co, 2d RTBN. Anyway, best of luck and glad to have you aboard.

Hooch
    CPL, USMC
    1987-1991

SGT, USMCR
    1991-1995
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Tony, Marine to Marine, Semper Fi and best wished for your thru in 2010. to White Blaze, I'm sure that you'll find plenty of intl on here tohelp ypu in your thru planning. I saw that you're on Parris Island, I took an 11 week vacation there after I graduated from high school in 1987, graduating from Delta Co, 2d RTBN. Anyway, best of luck and glad to have you aboard.

Hooch
    CPL, USMC
    1987-1991

SGT, USMCR
    1991-1995
    11 weeks? mine was 13. H Co., 3rd Bn. 1977

The problem with going north starting in August is that you wouldn't be able to finish the trail, even if the weather cooperates and you have a mild autumn/early winter all the way. Katahdin doesn't let hikers in during the winter unless they are in a group and equipped for winter mountaineering. Generally the mountain closes in mid-October and opens again at the end of May (sometimes later). The southern mountains are higher, but the trail is better (less rock climbing) so it is better to hike the northern mountains when they aren't covered with snow and ice. SOBO works better for a late start unless you plan to stretch it out to the following June.

Images

I assume he was going to hike SOBO if he started in August. That is why I said he would be in the Smokies around this time if he does.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    11 weeks? mine was 13. H Co., 3rd Bn. 1977
    Yeah, but that's when body armor was made out of chain mail.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    The problem with going north starting in August is that you wouldn't be able to finish the trail, even if the weather cooperates and you have a mild autumn/early winter all the way. Katahdin doesn't let hikers in during the winter unless they are in a group and equipped for winter mountaineering.
    a great reason to move the northern terminus out of the constrictive, elitist baxter park

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

a great reason to move the northern terminus out of the constrictive, elitist baxter park
    Where should it end?

Kirby

Whitecap Mountain

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Whitecap Mountain
    100 mile wilderness whitecap?

If so, that would be a good ending spot, impressive summit and view, of...Mount Katahdin.

Kirby

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++