WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default 100 Day Thru-Hike for Students ?

I'm just looking for some thoughts and opinions here:

My friend and I are both relatively experienced Hikers, in very good shape, and 20 years old. We're looking to thru-hike the AT, but would like to avoid taking a semester off from school to do so. Also, being college students, we're very poor .

Do any of you experienced hikers out there feel that it is feasible to thru hike in 100-110 days and only spend about $1500?

We realize it's a sizeable undertaking, but we're motivated individuals ...

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Totally doable. $1500 each or combined? I'm assuming combined. Go fori it.

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

You'll have to average about 20 miles a day, assuming you take no zero days in towns. Is that $1500 for both of you, or $1500 each?
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

Images

Lightbulb Jersey Joe

Check out trailjournals.com and look for Jersey Joe. He finished in 110 days or so and did the entire trail for about 1400 dollars. This journal will give you perspective of what you are going to get yourself into. You will have to average big miles and limit time in town and be reserved to the fact that you are going to be moving faster then most which means you will not be able to stay with any particular group. Some of his biggest problems were racing maildrops and having a heavy pack. Check it out!

Met a SOBO at the Long Trail Inn who was attempting to hike the trail in 100 days. He had done it previously as a NOBO and had taken 5 months. To give you an idea of the discipline he had to maintain, he had only one Guiness and spent only a couple of hours (laundry) at one of the most refreshing stops on the trail.

Nice guy, he had by necessity become a gearhead, doing everything he could do to get his full pack weight to about 12 pounds. I couldn't hike that way, but then I am old and addicted to a few creature comforts, like warmth and food.

He said he had averaged about 20 miles a day to that point, but hoped to pick it up as he continued south. It is an odd form of thru-hike, seemingly about the physical challenge as much as the trail. Certainly it drastically reduces the opportunities to enjoy some of the unique places and people associated with the trail.

But if it's all the time and cash that you have, it sure beats staying at home and watching television.

Default Doable, but:

Is the trail doable in 100 days (14 weeks)? There are some. Flying Brian is one. But he trained for a year before starting out, and he is an ultramarathoner.

But, averaging 22 miles per day, 150 miles per week would be a real challenge for most of us. Consider that in the survey done by Roland Mueser of 1989 thru-hikers, and published in his book "Long Distance Hiking," only 10% did the trail in less than 21 weeks or fewer. And you want to do it in 2/3 of that time?

If you only have 14 weeks, my advice would be to do 1/2 to 3/4 of the trail and enjoy yourselves. It's too good an experience to rush through at 150 miles per week.

$1400 budget? probably adequate for 1 person for 14 weeks, provided that you limit your visits to towns. That means minimizing hotel/motel stays, minimizing meals bought, and no beer and alchohol. But should allow money for some extras.
    (After all, if you back figure $1.00 per mile, or $2200 for an average thru-hike of 25 weeks, that works out to about $100 per week.)

Yes, I know I mis-spelled "Hamster"...
    Images

Not athru-hiker myself, but would recommend going for half the trail. Maybe you could do a couple sections, go from Springer to Roanoke, grab a greyhound bus, and then go from Vermont to Katahdin.

Thats what I'd try to do anyways
    "A man builds a fine house; and now he has a master, and a task for life; he is to furnish, watch, show it, and keep it in repair, the rest of his days".
    ...Ralph Waldo Emerson

GA-ME Someday (Maybe '06?)
    Many Miles in Massachusetts & Vermont...

The $1500 would be for each person, so a total of $3,000 for the two of us.

While doing half or parts of the trail is a good option and would be enjoyable, we'd be making a sizeable investment with what money we have and we wouldn't complete the trail. Call it vanity, but I feel that my money would be better spent if I could complete the whole thing ... even if it is a bit more difficult.

We would plan to start around mid-May of this year and finish 100 -110 days later ...

We live in New England, so we would in essence be walking home. Something has to be said for the mental benefits of that....

Images

Its doable, but I don't think it will be particularly fun. I had some time constraints on my hike. My brother was getting in married in the last few days of August, and school began just after that. I found myself at Swift Run Gap in Shenandoah NP on June 18, with about 1250 miles to go by August 28. I made it and I had a great time. It was not a particularly relaxed hike. I only was able to take 2 zeroes (one in Duncannon and one at my parents' place in Southern Vermont). You will not have the luxury of saying to yourself, "I am tired today, I will only hike eight miles today." While others drastically cut back their miles through the Whites, you will have to maintain at least fifteen miles a day. That is pretty tough in that section. If you are into hiking in groups, it can be hard to find someone moving at your pace.
    On the other hand, keeping a fast pace gives you a certain freedom. You are not ever stuck in packs of people who encourage you to hike at their speed. You also get to meet a large number of people because you move faster than the average thru-hiker.
    If you decide to hike, I have some recommendations. Hit the trail in great shape. Be ready to average 15-20 through Georgia. Start pushing 20s and the occasional 30 once you are in or past the Smokies. Keep this fast pace all the way through Virginia, the mid-Atlantic states, and Southern New England. Give yourself time through New Hampshire and Southern Maine. It is a beautiful area, and you risk injury if you hike too fast or hike at night through the area. You can start picking up your pace at Grafton Notch, just after the Mahoosucs in Maine. I don't think Maine is nearly as tough as some say, but my opinion is most likely the result of having adjusted myself to the Whites and Mahoosucs. You can cruise through Maine once you get a hang of hiking over rocks and roots.
    Also, keep your pack as light as possible. Under 25 pounds is advisable.
    However much of the trail you hike, enjoy your trip.

Default 100 Day Thru-Hike for Students ?

Quote Originally Posted by kellett117
    The $1500 would be for each person, so a total of $3,000 for the two of us.

While doing half or parts of the trail is a good option and would be enjoyable, we'd be making a sizeable investment with what money we have and we wouldn't complete the trail. Call it vanity, but I feel that my money would be better spent if I could complete the whole thing ... even if it is a bit more difficult.

We would plan to start around mid-May of this year and finish 100 -110 days later ...

We live in New England, so we would in essence be walking home. Something has to be said for the mental benefits of that....

I think it's more than doable. You're young and hopefully, it much better shape than most of us. You will need to be in really good shape from the very start. I see the appeal of doing the trail in 100 or 110 days. Your asking a lot of your body. Our bodies are in need of a rest day every seven to ten days (it's not by accident that we have seven days in a week). Plus, you're going to have to eat a whole lot of food, or you'll get sick and have to drop out early. Even then, you'll be burning more calories than you can eat. If you kept this sort of pace up long enough, you would starve to death!

On the other hand, it's been done and I see no reason it can't be done again.

Money? I think you'll manage that to. Just spend your money on food and almost nothing else and you'll do fine. Although, I hope the $1,500 doesn't include the gear you'll need to start the trip.

Go for it!
    Don't waste time telling people what you are doing or what you are going to do. Results have a way of informing the world.

Motivation is the key and if you really have enough of it then go for it.

One concern I have for you is that you would be going as a pair. Trying to stay lock step together for 14 weeks at such a torrid pace could lead to occasional trouble since pacing at that speed should be very individual rather than regressing to your mean. Consider allowing each other to get slightly ahead or behind from time to time, i.e., make individual decisions each day as to how far to go.

I saw three ultra-lighters (12 lb. packs or lighter, or van supported) this year who all did the trail in fewer than 100 days. One did it in about 85 days, I think. I met that guy a couple times while I myself was moving rather fast, but I couldn't keep up with his discipline. He wouldn't neccessarily hike fast, he would just hike all day long--5:30am to 8:30 pm, every single day. He did 30-40 mile days. He had taken one zero day from Springer to New Jersey. I saw him enter a town for resupply and he spent litterally just a half hour buying groceries and eating at a restaurant--that itself takes discipline. He did not do maildrops, instead he resupplied every 1-3 days, never longer. He carried just a half quart of water at a time, drinking instead at the water sources. His pack was close to 8 pounds with food and water.

The first NOBO to finish this year supposedly was sub-100 days, and he still started in the colder times. He almost drowned in the Kennebec, though, because he apparently was in too much of a hurry and too stubborn to wait for daylight and lower river levels--don't let your pace put you in jeopardy, be smart and let up when warranted.

Most $$ is spent while not moving along the trail (in towns on lodging and replacement gear). At a 100 day pace, it should be very easy to spend less than $1500 each, and even possible to spend less than $1500 for your pair. I met an ultra-cheap pair in the south who were trying to do as much of the trail as possible on something like $700 or so for the both of them. They made it at least as far as Harpers Ferry. I have no idea how much farther they got, but that's 1000 miles on $350 each. That's an extreme case, and I think budegting for an adequate diet with lots of fat calories and calcium is essential for a fast pace and sanity.

All that said, I implore you to consider spreading the hike out over two summers or better: take a winter semester off. A 100 day pace could lead to burn out, you would be at a much greater risk of not finishing than if you gave yourself five months. The thru-hike is worth delaying graduation by a semester. You could even pack in the courses over next sumemr or in other semesters to make it up. Unless you have dependents to provide for or rigid scholarships to keep, there is no reason to rush for a speedy undergrad graduation.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

People do the PCT (500 miles longer) in roughly 110 days every year. Don't let the nay-sayers get you down. You can do it.

People don't typically do the AT in a hundred days simplly because they don't have to. The hiking season in the east is almost 10 months long (assuming you don't mind a bit if winter in the south). So, thru-hikers have the "luxury" of going slow. Getting drunk in towns and doing 10 mile days.

Check out messages posted by "chris", he finished the PCT (2650 miles) this past summer ('03) in less than 110 days. In particular check out this thread.

Quick math...

15 weeks == 105 days
    15 6-day weeks = 90 days

2150 miles / 90 days = 24 miles per day doing 6-day weeks.

If you are truely in shape. 24 miles a day on a 15 hour day is a mere 1.6 mph. Or 15 hours with a 15 minute break per hour (11.25 hours of hiking per day) at 2.2 mph. 2.2 mph is very doable. Most thrus do at least 2.5-3.5 mph once they get into shape. Tell me how many thrus actually take a 15 minute break per hour??!?! Not many. They sleep in 'till 10am and then rush to the next shelter just to sit on their ass from 5pm 'till bedtime. That sounds quite boring to me. I'd rather take 15 minute quiet rest stop every hour. Rather than spend 4-5 hours sitting around camp per day.

If you seriously make an effort to take a 15 minute break per hour (or 30 minutes in 2 hours, etc.), you will not be tired or exhausted at the end of the day. Eat your breakfast, snacks and lunch while hiking. Eat your "cooked dinner" during the late afternoon during a 30-45 minute break.

Edit:

Going this "fast" you should never need to carry more than 3 days worth of food. As such your pack weight (including food and water) should never exceed 20# (25# at most). Shopping sales, you can easily purchase a pack, shelter and bag for less than $200 and still keep your total dry pack weight below 10#. If you make your own gear, or spend a bit more. You can have a dry pack weight below 8# without much effort. Which puts your "wet" weight around 18# for 3 full days worth of supplies.

Don't underestimate the importance of eating the correct amount of food. You won't be able to "cheat" and fuel-up in towns. Read Chris' thread (link above) on the topic.

Also consider a flip-flop. Start at Harpers Farry, WV (easy train/bus access) and hike south to GA. Then flip back to Harpers Farry, WV and hike north to special K. This way your first few weeks won't be as trying as if you started in GA.

Good luck.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Quote Originally Posted by kellett117
    Do any of you experienced hikers out there feel that it is feasible to thru hike in 100-110 days and only spend about $1500?
    You can do it! My friend Linguini did a SOBO hike in 2001 in less than 100 days. It was physically & emotionally taxing on him, but he is also more than twice your age.

Go for it, and have fun trying!

Journal Entries
    Images

You may find that hiking fast with a partner is more difficult than hiking fast without one. Apart from physical differences, having a tight shedule can interject some "special" dynamics into any partnership.

Since you spoke of an "investment", you might want to hedge that investment by making sure you each have your own stove, tent, etc. And talk about under what eventualities either of one of you might want to leave the other behind, with no hard feelings.

Anyone know of fast time for two people to have hiked the trail together?

Rick B

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    Anyone know of fast time for two people to have hiked the trail together?
    Ray and Jenny Jardine come to mind.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

I ran support for a friend back in 91 who did the AT in 56 days. He was fat and out of shape when he started. Averaged 38 miles per day @ 2.8 miles per hour. It's a mind game. You can do it.

Default Caution

Everyone here seems to say go for it. I'd like to suggest that you do some soul searching. The facts are that very few thru-hikers do the trail in less than 100 days. If you think you are one of them, then all the more power to you. However, if you are anywhere near the average, you will need at least 20 weeks.

Images

Default speed

All the opinions stated above are good ones. Certainly a lot to think about. I'd suggest reading Highlander II's journal on trailjournals.com He hiked the trail in just over 3 months. As Moonmonster suggested, a few others did it in the time as well. They spent the overwhelming majority of the hike alone, mostly because most other folks didn't want to keep up that pace.
    To me the most important and enjoyable aspect of my thru-hike was the people. 8 out of 10 thru-hikers would probably agree. To me not having the time to meet and talk with all the eclectic people out there doing the same thing as you is a big mistake, but I also respect those who wish to have a different hike. I hiked the trail in 5 months, could have physically done it in 4 months, but would not have wanted to do so, especially in 3 months. I'm 20, a college student too, and in pretty good shape. I would never want to bring about that much pain and damage to your body.
    As others suggested, i'd either spread it over two summers or take a semester. Taking a semester off from school to hike the Trail was the most rewarding thing I've done in my life.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Default ...support...

I'm glad to see many of the posts here are in support of you following your dreams. That's great. In the past, I've seen quite a bit of negative feedback for ideas like this, people suggesting that you're not getting the "true essence" of the trail and b/s like that. The trail is just that: a trail. To each his own, hike your own hike, whatever floats your boat. The trail is what you make of it. While I certainly wouldn't want to HAVE to hike the trail in 100 days because of a time deadline, that's certainly not to say that I wouldn't do it in that amount without one. In 2000, I hiked the trail in 175 days (and that was with nearly 40 zero days along the way). I spent $1700 on trail expenses (every expense from Springer to Maine not including transit to or from the trail). I slept in a hostel about once/week and in a hotel (never by myself, I always split a room), about 7 or 8 times. I ended up buying about 1/2 of my food along the way and replaced a few worn-out gear items too. $1500 is certainly doable - it'll keep you in the woods more, but it is a trail afterall. The biggest expense that others had was the purchase of alcohol. Bar tabs add up quickly, and even though I took a leisurely pace and hung with some true partiers at times, my bills were considerably less than theirs since I don't drink.

My advice is to begin hiking with the intent of doing the entire trail in 100 days (or whatever you have). Plan for the whole trail and try. If, however, you get out there are 100 days doesn't seem feasable to you for whatever reason, either slow down and enjoy what part of the trail you can, or skip fall semester and keep on hiking. There's nothing less glorious about doing the trail in 2 or more sections. If anything, you may be better off (attitude wise) doing it that way. I took off 2 semesters from school to do this and enjoyed every moment. I had hiking friends that had to speed up in NH and Maine (IMO the prettiest part of the trail) to get done in time for school, and this was the part that I wanted to savor the most. Follow your heart. It can be done (and has been many times).

-Howie

Thank you everyone for the input ... so far it's been very very helpful. I particularly like what you have to say, Howie ... to me no harm can be done in giving it a try. Please keep the advice coming if you have any ... it's a huge help.

--Brian

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++