WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Champerrific

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I tried googling that, I could not find anything, do you think you could point me to a website?

Kirby
    Here's the 300's on sale for $15

http://www.buckscountyoutfitters.com...Wom---M-Black/

Default cold weather in GA in april?

Hi All -

I'll be starting in early April (just doing Georgia in this trip), and as I've not been in GA in the Spring, I was wondering how much cold weather I should prepare for... I know it's colder at elevation, and in camp after you've been walking all day.

My usual layering is as follows:

wicking t-shirt
    long sleeve synthetic shirt (polypro or something)
    fleece
    gore-tex shell

hat
    gloves

running shorts
    nylon trousers

I would usually hike in the t-shirt and long sleeve shirt, shorts and trousers, plus hat and gloves, if it was cool. I'd then add the fleece and shell whenever I stopped.

Based on the posts in this thread, I've ordered a wind shirt. Would people suggest bringing a down jacket or equivalent as well?

Any thoughts are appreciated! I find it's hard to think about other types of weather when you aren't in them - here in Scotland it's rain, rain, rain. And I will definitely be prepared for that when I get to the AT.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    That is why I like a watch cap and a neck gaiter. When it is really cold you can wear the two together like a balaclava but you have more flexability of how to wear the items.
    I think he is speaking about wearing the hat and or the neck gaiter over the balaclava. Would have to define "really cold."

Brimmed hat, even baseball cap, over balaclava works in cold rain. Feels funny on ears if you wear glasses.

Are mitts really more effective than gloves? What type of mitts?

Learn something new everyday,
    Kirby
    Mitts inside of mitts is best for warmth, yes.

Keeping the fingers skin-to-skin is better than separated by fabric as in gloves..

If you were lying with three cool chicks which would be hotter for you...skin to skin or separated by fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    Hi All -

I'll be starting in early April (just doing Georgia in this trip), and as I've not been in GA in the Spring, I was wondering how much cold weather I should prepare for... I know it's colder at elevation, and in camp after you've been walking all day.

My usual layering is as follows:

wicking t-shirt
    long sleeve synthetic shirt (polypro or something)
    fleece
    gore-tex shell

hat
    gloves

running shorts
    nylon trousers

I would usually hike in the t-shirt and long sleeve shirt, shorts and trousers, plus hat and gloves, if it was cool. I'd then add the fleece and shell whenever I stopped.

Based on the posts in this thread, I've ordered a wind shirt. Would people suggest bringing a down jacket or equivalent as well?

Any thoughts are appreciated! I find it's hard to think about other types of weather when you aren't in them - here in Scotland it's rain, rain, rain. And I will definitely be prepared for that when I get to the AT.
    I hiked the Georgia AT last April. I found my down jacket to be just right for cold evenings and mornings. It got down into the mid teens at night. The down jacket also doubles as pillow. I wrapped mine around a small camp pillow and slept great!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    Mitts inside of mitts is best for warmth, yes.

Keeping the fingers skin-to-skin is better than separated by fabric as in gloves..

If you were lying with three cool chicks which would be hotter for you...skin to skin or separated by fabric?
    I'd prefer hot chicks over cool ones.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Images

Are mitts really more effective than gloves? What type of mitts?

Learn something new everyday,
    Kirby
    Kirby,

For winter backpacking, I like a medium or light weight glove (I use ragg wool but fleece would work well too) with a shell overmitt. As in all other areas, layoring gives many options. The combination of glove and overmitt is very warm, but having the gloves allows you to remove the mitts and have more dexterity for putting up tent, cooking, etc.

Probably a light weight liner glove with an insulated overmitt would be another very workable option.

My $0.02 worth.

Still works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Kirby,

For winter backpacking, I like a medium or light weight glove (I use ragg wool but fleece would work well too) with a shell overmitt. As in all other areas, layoring gives many options. The combination of glove and overmitt is very warm, but having the gloves allows you to remove the mitts and have more dexterity for putting up tent, cooking, etc.

Probably a light weight liner glove with an insulated overmitt would be another very workable option.

My $0.02 worth.
    I settled on Possum Gloves covered by Z Packs Vertex Rain Mitts and loved the combo on my 2018 Thru Hike. Never desired anything else and had warm hands Hiking and in camp.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    Hi All -

…………………….

It tends to rain a lot in April, so you'll be right at home. An April 1st start can have a few nights below freezing, but the trend is to be warming up quickly. You'll only be in Georgia for about a week so you could have a week of 40 degree (4C) rain or a week of sunshine. Most likely a little of both.
    A lot of it is how well acclimated you are when you start. If you spent all winter in a cold climate going to Georgia isn't as big a shock to the system as it would be for those from say, Florida.

Your hiking layer mix is pretty much what I wear. A dry base layer for camp/sleeping is a must. This layer is never worn while hiking, even though it can be tempting to leave camp warm and dry. It doesn't take long to require a wardrobe change if you leave camp wearing too much.

I hardly ever hike in shorts unless it's really, really hot. I like to keep my legs clean, free of bug bites and scratches. For April I recommend long gaiters to keep the mud under control. Georgia clay is really slippery when wet, be careful! It's taken me down a few times.

A down jacket or "puffy" has become a standard issue for AT hikers. I really need to break down and get one myself. I've been getting away with either a fleece or synthetic fill vest. Gets very marginal below 40 F.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    It tends to rain a lot in April, so you'll be right at home. An April 1st start can have a few nights below freezing, but the trend is to be warming up quickly. You'll only be in Georgia for about a week so you could have a week of 40 degree (4C) rain or a week of sunshine. Most likely a little of both..
    Did you notice the third digit in the year of the date? It's ten years old! I noticed because this is the Class of '08 forum, and I'm an alum. I didn't join (had never even heard of this site) until after my thru-hike.

But it's all still good advice. I have not changed the clothing I carry these last ten years. I think it's all cemented in place.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Did you notice the third digit in the year of the date? It's ten years old! I noticed because this is the Class of '08 forum, and I'm an alum. I didn't join (had never even heard of this site) until after my thru-hike.

But it's all still good advice. I have not changed the clothing I carry these last ten years. I think it's all cemented in place.
    Zombie thread! I thought I was responding to a current cold weather clothing thread. Oh well. I was on top of Springer April 1st in 2008 myself. And a couple of times since then
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++