WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Damascus Question

My girlfriend is moving from Philly to Houston in a couple of weeks and I'm flying up to meet her and drive down with her. We are going to be running down I 81(?) a good bit of the way and I noticed it runs about 20-30 miles from Damascus.

The AT was a big deal in my life and I'd like to take her in to Damascus for lunch at Dot's and maybe pick up some AT swag at MRO. Will MRO be open or is it strictly a hiking season business?

I was also thinking about popping in to Ms. Janets to give her a new years hug, does she still check around these forums? Erwin looks about 60-70 miles out of the way?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Miss Janet has closed the hostel, but is a member here. PM her to arrange a meeting. MRO is open year round.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Miss Janet has closed the hostel, but is a member here. PM her to arrange a meeting. MRO is open year round.
    Dino,

In an effort to soften the blow to Singe03, we should point out that while Miss Janet has indeed closed her hostel, I believe that it is still true that she is quite actively pursuing the dream of re-opening another hostel in some form (hopefully bigger and better) in or near Erwin as soon as possible. That was the last I heard anyway, unless you know otherwise.

Tripp

Images

Argh, I shouldn't vanish from the forums for months at a time! Too much news to catch up on!

Images

Damascus is an easy straight shot from I-81 in southwest Virginia. 15 minutes from the highway, max. MRO is open all the time.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

You are correctly informed above......Ms. Janet, I'm sure, would love to se you, and MRO is open year-round. Have a great time in Damascus! (And depending on where you are at the end of the day, you might want to stop by Kincora as well, to say hey to Bob and Pat, plus an overnight in the treehouse in January would be a blast. For you, anyway, your friend might feel differently!)

Images

Oh holy crud, how could I not think of Kincora, I have VERY fond memories of that place, including Bob telling the little group of us that we were among the first hikers to walk one of his relocations and his plans for that area. It was an absolutely beautiful stretch of trail, I still want to swing time off and go work with him at some point, time off and travel money have been rarity for me the past couple years.

The G/F has done some camping but not backpacking and is undecided on the whole idea, she is however a trooper and roughing it for a couple of nights wouldn't phase her in the least.

I dont remember a treehouse though? Did I miss something when I was through there?

With every place I want to stop and see again, maybe I can just convince her to do a southbound thru with me next year and have the car shipped down. Its a nice dream at least.

Twenty four hours drive time with a young, very active welsh corgi (her dog) will likely leave me REALLY wanting to get out and see a few friendly faces.

The tree house is new since '03.

But in the main hostel, the wood stove is right outside Kincora's one private bedroom, and I bet the place will be empty when you get there.

By all means visit again if you can.

Images

We will just have to see how the trip goes. She is very open minded about side trips, but we also have a bit of a schedule we have to keep to and alot of driving to get done. I know she would love Kincora though.

I am going to PM Miss Janet tonight to see about just meeting up someplace even briefly to say hello, an hour or so on such a long trip is relatively little.

My main worry about "dropping in" would be imposing, even briefly during everyone's off season. Do you know if Bob and Pat are open to visitors this time of the year or is there a way to contact them? I had some good conversations with both of them, but it was a relatively uneventful stay in light of the fact they meet several hundred hikers a year, I doubt they would remember me. Generally during hostel stays, I tried to NOT be a standout or cause the kinds of problems that would make one memorable

As fars as I know, asuming Pat's health is better (and I've recently been informed that it is), you'll be welcome there.

But to be sure, send Bob a card or give him a call.

And as for Bob not remembering you, you might well be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Singe03 View Post
    My girlfriend is moving from Philly to Houston in a couple of weeks and I'm flying up to meet her and drive down with her. We are going to be running down I 81(?) a good bit of the way and I noticed it runs about 20-30 miles from Damascus.

The AT was a big deal in my life and I'd like to take her in to Damascus for lunch at Dot's and maybe pick up some AT swag at MRO. Will MRO be open or is it strictly a hiking season business?

I was also thinking about popping in to Ms. Janets to give her a new years hug, does she still check around these forums? Erwin looks about 60-70 miles out of the way?
    Damascus is 12 miles off I-81 at exit 29. MRO is closed Sundays, open Mon-Sat 9-5ish

Images

Just tell her there aren't any good mountains to hike around Houston! Boy I miss the trail when I'm here in Texas....

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Damascus is 12 miles off I-81 at exit 29. MRO is closed Sundays, open Mon-Sat 9-5ish
    That's 91 south into town. When you leave take 58 west & that will cut out 10 miles of interstate
    ???

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Let me get you caught up on some of the news from around here.
    This past summer we had a bit of a drought here in the south. Georgia got the real brunt of it.

ATC was able to get the trail back on the old Osborne Farm at TN91/Cross Mtn Road. It is now opened as handicapped accessible for most of it.

Tennessee Eastman Hiking Club has opened a number of new small relocations on or at the White Rocks, Bishops Hollow, Weedy Gap, and Cherry Gap.

Bob and Pat just opened a tree house loft at Kincora within the last year. Its quite sweet. If you want to work with them and the Eastman Hiking Club for a maintenance outing, we go out on Tuesdays for small projects, then the big Hardcore event takes place at Trail Days. Bob's an encyclopedia of hikers...he never forgets. Kincora is open all year..just give him a call during the off season to make arrangements, 423 725 3039

Mountaineer Falls Shelter on the recent Elk River relocation opened late 2006. Bousts 2 main sleeping platforms, then a top loft just for 2 (the Lovers Loft).

Big relocation on Unaka Mtn summit will hopefully be complete by summer 2008.

You all need to make it back up for Trail Days.

Just don't get attached to those Texas plains.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by buliwyf View Post

ATC was able to get the trail back on the old Osborne Farm at TN91/Cross Mtn Road. It is now opened as handicapped accessible for most of it.
    the so-called handicapped accessible path is hardly able to accomodate a wheelchair

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Are you talking about the farm road or the pebble path through the stile?

Eastman Club has heard any complaints yet. ATC gave the club a high recognition for it.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

++ New Posts ++