WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    And something else we havent discussed here, who says she went up Blood? YOu are supposed to park north of Mountain Crossings no matter which direction you are headed. She could have as easily went up and over Levelland on the northbound side.

??????
    The article says she was last seen on 'Blood Mountain Trail', which, of course, doesn't exist.

But it sound like they have some leads.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

What would be useful to know is whether she typically walks the dog using the leash in the woods. That and where was the leash as Skids asked. Oh, and how obedient is the dog. If they haven't found her on a trail, she may have wandered off after the dog and got lost.

Hope they find her soon. Too bad they had to call off the search.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

a lot of people refer to the Byron Reece trail as the Blood Mt trail.

I will check the local news in the morning at 6A to see if there are any new developments. If not then I will head on up to the Mountain Crossings store, Winton opens at 8A. If any others plan on going up I will see you there. I will be wearing a bright orange jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Did they try tracking with dogs yet? Windy but it's still worth a shot. Bloodhounds and a good handler can do some amazing things. Might have an easier time tracking the other dog's scent as well. Who knows if they're together or where they are, but find one and it might lead to the other. Hope she's holed up on the mountain somewhere, or walked out, 'cause the alternative , well...
    Had a recent case near me were they asked that only trained SAR volunteers participate

Images

I just saw a report on the news and it doesn't sound good. A witness saw the missing hiker heading down the north side of the mountain towards Neels Gap and also saw a man walking a short distance behind her carrying a police baton. They found her two water bottles, dog leash, dog treats and a pair of men's sunglasses on the trail.
    Last edited by Phreak; 01-02-2008 at 23:10.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Prayers, prayers and prayers. This sounds like an abduction.

Images

No, that doesn't sound good at all

local NBC news just reported a hiker saw the missing hiker (Emerson) around 3P Tues on the trail hiking back toward her car. A man with a baton was spotted on the same trail.
    a water bottle, leash, dog treats and sunglasses have been found on trail
    officials are at the trailhead tonight and search will continue on Thursday

not good at all
    Last edited by JERMM; 01-02-2008 at 23:16.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    Had a recent case near me were they asked that only trained SAR volunteers participate
    Lots of places like that. NH Fish and Game runs a lot of the S&R here in the Whites, but there is a core group of trained voluteers to draw on from lots of other agencies. First rule of rescue: don't become a victim yourself. No need to turn searching for one missing person into a recovery mission for well meaning but untrained volunteer rescuers turned victim.

That said, if it was my daughter or a friend's or maybe even just someone who asked, I know a few of us would probably ignore the authorities and be up on the mountain with full winter gear, headlamps, portable searchlights, etc. Conditions are obviously really bad, but the clock is running out fast on any hope. It might be irresponsible, but I couldn't stand by and do nothing.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    I just saw a report on the news and it doesn't sound good. A witness saw the missing hiker heading down the north side of the mountain towards Neels Gap and also saw a man walking a short distance behind her carrying a police baton. They found her two water bottles, dog leash, dog treats and a pair of men's sunglasses on the trail.
    I know we know nothing now, but I really hate to hear about reports like this, I hope it doesn't end up like what this report leads me to think.

Oh no, this does sound bad. We've gone from worrying about someone freezing to death to worse. I hope my fears are all wrong.

Lots of places like that. NH Fish and Game runs a lot of the S&R here in the Whites, but there is a core group of trained voluteers to draw on from lots of other agencies. First rule of rescue: don't become a victim yourself. No need to turn searching for one missing person into a recovery mission for well meaning but untrained volunteer rescuers turned victim.

This was done to not disturb any trail the victim might have left

Images
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

A good bit of conflicting info on this. Latest article says a collar was found.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

I know a few of us would probably ignore the authorities and be up on the mountain with full winter gear, headlamps, portable searchlights, etc. Conditions are obviously really bad, but the clock is running out fast on any hope. It might be irresponsible, but I couldn't stand by and do nothing.
    It WOULD be irreesponsible. They are trying to track the victim. Well-meaning "volunteers" at this point will just create more tracks, trails and mis-leads. YOU could end up causing the lost person's death because the search teams were distracted by YOUR footprints and/or scent.

Let the SAR people do their jobs. They will call for volunteer searchers if/when they are needed.

Journal Entries
    Images

On local NBC channel 11 right now!

Journal Entries
    Images

Someone definately abducted this young girl. According to the news.....a guy say her headed down around 3. Behind he a few feet was a "weird" guy wearing sungalsses and carrying a police type baton. When the man who saw her returned back down the trail he found water bottle, dog collar, dog treats, mens sunglasses, and the baton. The authorities have these items. Makes me wanna "apck" when I hike close to busy roads, but now Im not some pretty young coed either.

BTW, the roommate says the dog "would never leave her side, they are inseperable."

Images

Someone definately abducted this young girl...
    Another young women has been missing from Athens since Dec. 29, under suspicious circumstances.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14965025/detail.html

Way too close geographically to just pass it off as circumstance. Bad, bad news.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Im not some pretty young coed either.
    Whats a coed?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam View Post
    Whats a coed?
    ??? you're, kidding???

No?

A female college student.

Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++