WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam View Post
    Whats a coed?
    A piece of rope used in the south.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    ??? you're, kidding???

No?

A female college student.
    Just looked it up. I got either
    COED Commission on Education for the Deaf or
    COED Compact Oxford English Dictionary

Still

Images

Just looked it up. I got either
    COED Commission on Education for the Deaf or
    COED Compact Oxford English Dictionary

Still
    No fooling you Clouseau.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    Makes me wanna "apck" when I hike close to busy roads, but now Im not some pretty young coed either.
    But the trail is safer than anywhere else, haven't you heard?
    Last edited by Frolicking Dinosaurs; 01-03-2008 at 10:52. Reason: format error
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

How is it pronounced? Does it rhyme with code/road/load? Is this a southern term or something?

Can we keep this thread serious and about hoping for a positive outcome? Is it so hard to show a little respect for someone lost as well as their loved ones?
    Last edited by Tin Man; 01-03-2008 at 00:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Can we keep this thread serious and about hoping for a positive outcome? Is it so hard to show a little respect for someone lost as well as there loved ones?
    I AM being serious. I just have no idea why they're referring to the missing woman as a "code".

Images

I AM being serious. I just have no idea why they're referring to the missing woman as a "code".
    http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/co-ed
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    He didn't say "co-ed", he said "coed". Which is a non-word that appears to rhyme with "load".

Internet research reveals that a "co-ed" is apparently an archaic term meaning a "co-educational student", which could be either male or female. Again, a big here.

Hope she is found safe.

Journal Entries
    Images

OK, I am a stupid uneducated redneck, drop it.

Sad situation. I wish the man who saw her being followed had alerted someone sooner. It certainly doesn't sound good.

Images

Default Co-ed

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    OK, I am a stupid uneducated redneck, drop it.
    Keep in mind this person is from another country...perhaps speaks English as a second language.
    Maple

Images

This situation sounds very sad, and gives me second thoughts, especially about going the trail alone. And to think there might be a second victim also. I hope they find the man that was carrying the baton and wearing the sunglasses as he may be the clue to this whole thing. And let's hope they find him quickly before any one else can get hurt. My prayers for the victims and their families and friends.
    Maple

Images

He didn't say "co-ed", he said "coed". Which is a non-word that appears to rhyme with "load".

Internet research reveals that a "co-ed" is apparently an archaic term meaning a "co-educational student", which could be either male or female. Again, a big here.

Hope she is found safe.
    Flotsam

This is not the appropriate time to discuss semantics and vocabulary. There is a young woman missing.

Regards
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maple View Post
    This situation sounds very sad, and gives me second thoughts, especially about going the trail alone. And to think there might be a second victim also. I hope they find the man that was carrying the baton and wearing the sunglasses as he may be the clue to this whole thing. And let's hope they find him quickly before any one else can get hurt. My prayers for the victims and their families and friends.
    All we can do is hope and pray. This can easily turn out for the better come morning.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Maple View Post
    This situation sounds very sad, and gives me second thoughts, especially about going the trail alone.
    It would take away from the joy of hiking, having to worry about such things. Sad, but a real concern for solo females, even if the risk is remote.

Images

Default News update

This does not sound encouraging...

From: http://www.11alive.com/news/article_...storyid=108958

Cold weather and darkness forced crews to suspend the search for a missing Gwinnett County woman.

Meredith Emerson, 24, along with her dog went hiking Tuesday on the Appalachian Trail on Blood Mountain in Union County, and has not been seen since.

She is described as an experienced hiker who knows the area well. It is said that she does not get turned around easily, so everyone is wondering what has happened to her. Given the cold weather, friends and family are desperate to find her.

Emergency personnel are staked out on the Appalachian Trail on Blood Mountain. They said they will resume their search for her at sunrise.

"Meredith is my roommate. She did not come home last night. She left a note that said she was going hiking yesterday afternoon," said her roommate. "She didn't come home, and then her dog wasn't there this morning, which it usually is, and then we heard that she did not show up for work, which is very unlike her."

Her car was found in the trailhead parking lot, covered in snow. But there was no sign of Meredith or her dog.

While the sheriff's department and GEMA are handing it as a missing persons' case, there are some details that have friends concerned. According to her roommate, a man hiking on the trail on Tuesday said he recalled seeing her and her dog on the trail, but he said he also noticed a gentleman on the trail that gave him an uneasy feeling, who he said was carrying a police baton.

The hiker who saw the man with the baton said he continued up the hill. He said that when he came back down the hill that he found some of Meredith's belongings including a leash, two water bottles and some dog treats. Also, next to those items, were a police baton and some men's sunglasses.

All of that information is being checked into.

Searchers covered about six miles of the Appalachian Trail on Wednesday, and they said they hope to get a helicopter up in the air on Thursday.

Anyone who has any information that may help in the search is asked to call GEMA at 706-439-6038.

Images

Another young women has been missing from Athens since Dec. 29, under suspicious circumstances.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14965025/detail.html

Way too close geographically to just pass it off as circumstance. Bad, bad news.
    [quote=john30563;488638]Someone definately abducted this young girl. According to the news.....a guy say her headed down around 3. Behind he a few feet was a "weird" guy wearing sungalsses and carrying a police type baton. When the man who saw her returned back down the trail he found water bottle, dog collar, dog treats, mens sunglasses, and the baton. The authorities have these items.

Makes me wonder if these two incidences are related as in "serial stalker"? I sure hope not. My prayers go out to these two girls and their families.

Images

Here's another update from 9news http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...?storyid=83799

"...According to workers at the Visitors Center, someone saw Emerson coming down the mountain, trailed by someone with a police baton.

WXIA reports a hiker turned in a dog leash, two water bottles and a police baton to the Visitors Center. Emerson's car was also found. According to WXIA, the significance of the findings was not realized until later; authorities do not know the identity of the hiker who turned in the belongings but they would like to speak to him because he may have seen something.

According to WXIA, despite the finding of the police baton, the Union County Sheriff's Department is considering this a missing person search, not a criminal investigation...."

Missing persons? Friggin' Barney Fife is alive and well in Georgia.

...authorities do not know the identity of the hiker who turned in the belongings but they would like to speak to him because he may have seen something.

....despite the finding of the police baton, the Union County Sheriff's Department is considering this a missing person search, not a criminal investigation...."

Missing persons? Friggin' Barney Fife is alive and well in Georgia.
    I think it's a police tactic hoping the perp will come forward. You see it all the time, criminals leaving evidence and returning to the scene of the crime.

PS I don't think it really matters if she left the leash in the car. It appeared to me people were reading too much into it. On the trail is a different matter. The fact other personal belongings were found on the trail, definitely leads me to believe she was abducted.

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++