WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Hammock Question

Has anyone used the two layer hammock sold by Brigade Quartermaster ? It looks interesting. The idea of a secure place for my sleeping pad sounds good. Another hammock that I'd like some feedback on is the Amazonas Moskito traveler. I wonder how reliable the zipper is?
    thanks,
    Hank

Journal Entries
    Images

Never heard of it. Is there a web site for this hammock?
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Yeah, The Moskito is at the rei.com and several others, and the Brigade is actually called the "twin layer tropical hammock" see it at http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/ta...Fresults%2Etam

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sawwhetowl
    Has anyone used the two layer hammock sold by Brigade Quartermaster ? It looks interesting. The idea of a secure place for my sleeping pad sounds good. Another hammock that I'd like some feedback on is the Amazonas Moskito traveler. I wonder how reliable the zipper is?
    thanks,
    Hank
    I have used both of them in my backyard, but I didn't take either one on a backpacking trip. I agree that they both look interesting, but neither one is a complete backpacking hammock system. They don't cost much and basically 'you get what you pay for'. However, the twin-layer hammock from Brigade Quartermaster did inspire me to make my own two-layer version of a Speer Hammock, because, as you mentioned, it does tend to hold the sleeping pad in place. I found that it also allows you to get in/out of the hammock without the classic wrestling match with the sleeping pad.

The twin-layer: Too small for me (6 ft), both in length and width. Looked like the sewing would eventually fail where the rope/webbing attachment loop is formed. Attachment ropes/webbing are bad news, the knot melts on themself and will not untie. No bug net or tarp.

The Moskito traveler: Uses about a dozen small cords to shape hammock on both ends. These tend to tangle and also provide a shape that does not allow a flat lay, ie, it keeps you in a banana shape. The mosquitto netting is a larger weave than classic no-see-um netting; this is good for ventilation but might be a problem with no-see-um's. No tarp or attachment ropes.

Hope this helps. They will give you an idea of what a backpacking hammock can be.

Oh yeah, about the zipper... I didn't use it long enough to have a comment. I bought it from REI and after trying to sleep in it in my backyard, I returned it.

Youngblood

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Two years ago i made the equivelent of the moskito by taking the amazonia hammock by byer of maine and sewining a flat of noseeum on the top with a loop to hold it up and velcro on both sides. It worked well. It does lay as flat as a hennessy, if you lay on the diagonal, as in the hennessy. The cords do tangle . This is easily fixed by adding a small cabiner on each end and putting a loop in the ends of you hammock rope. Generally the end twists thru the hammock strings and by removing the cabiner, untwisting and reclipping it is readily remedied in a few seconds. This is a good low bucks answer but the hennessy is just easier, more secure, and tip free.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

++ New Posts ++