WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Trail transients

In light of what happened at Blood Mtn. and what's happened in the past- How do you feel about the obvious hobos on the trail(I know, I know, sometimes thru-hikers look like bums)? I don't like them at all probably because I had to chase one off before. I was at the Peter's Mtn. shelter in PA and I had to go to the spring. I came back up the hill and here was this hobo digging through my stuff. I started yelling at him and I chased him off. Needless to say, I didn't really sleep that well than night being worried he was going to come back.
    I really don't trust them at all and more than once I've passed up staying in an area because of them. I realize the trail is for everyone so this is kind of a mix of emotions and ideas for me.
    So have any of you had any run-ins with them? How do you handle them?

We heard (from a couple of sources) that there was a homeless person staying at Rock Gap shelter near Franklin when we were section hiking that area in early November. We made sure not to stop, so I guess my answer is that I avoid them when possible.

Fortunately I haven't had any other incidents.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Are you sure?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    In light of what happened at Blood Mtn. and what's happened in the past- How do you feel about the obvious hobos on the trail(I know, I know, sometimes thru-hikers look like bums)? I don't like them at all probably because I had to chase one off before. I was at the Peter's Mtn. shelter in PA and I had to go to the spring. I came back up the hill and here was this hobo digging through my stuff. I started yelling at him and I chased him off. Needless to say, I didn't really sleep that well than night being worried he was going to come back.
    I really don't trust them at all and more than once I've passed up staying in an area because of them. I realize the trail is for everyone so this is kind of a mix of emotions and ideas for me.
    Sounds like you are talking about a Black Bear, are your sure it was a transient and not a hiker, or just a bear?

Images

Haven't ever had an incident, but then I've always been a bit paranoid about staying in shelters near towns or roads. Don't know why, I just am. So I avoid them and try to find a campsite instead.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post
    Sounds like you are talking about a Black Bear, are your sure it was a transient and not a hiker, or just a bear?
    Ummm, seeing as it was a filthy caucasian male who(I'm 99% sure) took a couple of my batteries(again, I may have misplaced them) I'm going to say it wasn't a bear. And I don't care if it was a "normal" hiker anyway, you don't dig through people's packs.

Ummm, seeing as it was a filthy caucasian male who(I'm 99% sure) took a couple of my batteries(again, I may have misplaced them) I'm going to say it wasn't a bear. And I don't care if it was a "normal" hiker anyway, you don't dig through people's packs.
    "I started yelling at him and I chased him off."

Haha, I get the black bear part now...

every year "these types" roll into Damascus and squat at The Place hostel. most are harmless but some are real lowlifes that will rip you off blind.

Most transients try to fly under the radar. They will take advantage on an opportunity, but like to avoid trouble if possible.

Did they say the POI in that missing hiker case is homeless?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    every year "these types" roll into Damascus and squat at The Place hostel. most are harmless but some are real lowlifes that will rip you off blind.
    I second that opinion.........

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Haven't ever had an incident, but then I've always been a bit paranoid about staying in shelters near towns or roads. Don't know why, I just am. So I avoid them and try to find a campsite instead.
    I ran into someone at a shelter in CT last winter who carried his stuff in a garbage bag and appeared to be hanging out. His stuff did not include any real camping gear, so I did not stay for a snack as planned. He asked for food, but I did not feel comfortable around him, so I moved on without offering him any. I was looking over my shoulder for a good mile afterwards.

It's not wildlife I worry about on the trail; it’s locals. Anytime I stay at a shelter with obvious signs of frequent use by the locals - beer cans, trash strewn about in general, an overwhelming amount of vulgar graffiti, questionable water source, etc... - I never get a good night's sleep.

In contrast, in the middle of a wilderness with signs of bear scat everywhere, I sleep like a baby.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I ran into someone at a shelter in CT last winter who carried his stuff in a garbage bag and appeared to be hanging out. His stuff did not include any real camping gear, so I did not stay for a snack as planned. He asked for food, but I did not feel comfortable around him, so I moved on without offering him any. I was looking over my shoulder for a good mile afterwards.
    I don't see why you could not have given him a candy bar or a small cracker at least?

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    I don't see why you could not have given him a candy bar or a small cracker at least?
    why? give an inch they'll take a mile in most cases.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree and disagree with that. Most homeless people are not out to get a mile from anyone. There are some though..............

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    why? give an inch they'll take a mile in most cases.
    Exactly. No need to encourage this kind of behavior.

I agree and disagree with that. Most homeless people are not out to get a mile from anyone. There are some though..............
    the ones i've seen in this town seek hand outs. ever since the food bank opened they flock like stray cats for freebies. same for folks WITH homes. they drive up in new cars getting boxes of free food

Images

1 night a shelter a guy asked for food, so i gave up some gorp. came back from getting water, and my companions said he was complaining about people always giving him gorp when he asked for food.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Okay Wolf, I'm not going to get into this bs about the bad points of all these bad homeless people.

Think about this for a moment. Your out there on the trail and you ran out food. You ask someone for a bite and they walk away from you.

I think I know you good enough to know that you would give someone a snack whether you like what you see or not. You would also know how to say "no."

Think about this for a moment. Your out there on the trail and you ran out food. You ask someone for a bite and they walk away from you.
    ....and next time you'd carry extra.

Self sufficiency lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    ....and next time you'd carry extra.

Self sufficiency lesson learned.
    yup. or keep looking for handouts forever. these guys know how to play the game. they work the system big time

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++