WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Kampfire - a hiker hangout for all those off topic posters

For those who object to the moderation on this forum perhaps the yahoo group Kampfire might be of interest - the following is the "mission statement from the main page of Kampfire:

"This group is a hiker hangout. It's a catch all for the 'off topic' stuff that some folks complain about in the other lists. Pull up a log, have a seat, and tell us about yourself and what you do. This group is about meeting people, and generating a camaraderie with other hikers that are a part of the online community. It's about having fun. If you're looking for gear, check out www.backpackgeartest.org. If you're looking for lightweight, check out the BackpackingLight group. If you're looking for the Appilachian Trail, try www.backcountry.net. If you're looking to meet other people with your interests and to have a little fun, you're in the right place. -- Shane 'Nio' Steinkamp"

link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Kampfire/

whats the Appilachian Trail?

Cool!

But do they have dancing bananas over there?
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Looks like the number of posts has been steadily dropping off for about four years.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    whats the Appilachian Trail?
    It's a trail for those dis-satisifed with the Appalachian Trail.

Kirby

Where is it???

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Where is it???
    siberia

Images

siberia
    I thought it was in complainersville, ajacent to boohooersville, which is in cry me a river county, but I could be mistaken.

Kirby

does anyone else find it weird that HOI is 'advertising' other sites by using reach of the WB forums. If it was someone who had posted a few times I wouldn't be suprised but HOI has posted over 1600 things here at WB. That's a lot of posting. Maybe he's disenchanted w/ WB but still a weird move.

does anyone else find it weird that HOI is 'advertising' other sites by using reach of the WB forums. If it was someone who had posted a few times I wouldn't be suprised but HOI has posted over 1600 things here at WB. That's a lot of posting. Maybe he's disenchanted w/ WB but still a weird move.

Naww....he's just helping people find a place to vent

Images

The fact that moderators haven't moved of deleted this sort of punches holes in the "tired of moderators" comment. If he posted something like this on Practical Backpacking, it wouldn't last 5 minutes before deletion, and he would probably get banned from the site.

If you ask me, pretty much every thread here becomes an "off-topic" forum after the first page or two. But then, I've kind of grown to enjoy the socializing that goes on here. I guess I'll stick around for a while.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

That is basically the idea - the mods here do a good job but some people can't seem to be happy with the way that they do their job - so I just suggested a possible alternative that seems to welcome off topic posters etc.

If I were trolling for another forum I would have suggested another place that I know of that is sort of my home forum. However I don't think it would be a service to that forum to invite the protesters from WB to join nor would it be a service to the objectors since that forum is a quite rough on newbies. Kampfire on the other hand invites off topic postings and since it looks like it could use some more hikers to join and contribute I thought it would be a good fit for those who are disapproving of the moderation here on WB.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    The fact that moderators haven't moved of deleted this sort of punches holes in the "tired of moderators" comment. If he posted something like this on Practical Backpacking, it wouldn't last 5 minutes before deletion, and he would probably get banned from the site.

If you ask me, pretty much every thread here becomes an "off-topic" forum after the first page or two. But then, I've kind of grown to enjoy the socializing that goes on here. I guess I'll stick around for a while.
    Yes some of us may get upset from time to time but it really is a great forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yes some of us may get upset from time to time but it really is a great forum.
    alt.rec.hiking on usenet....no moderators

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    alt.rec.hiking on usenet....no moderators
    Moderation is needed, it keeps this site on track, and there really is not that much, but they do a lot of behind the scenes work.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Moderation is needed, it keeps this site on track, and there really is not that much, but they do a lot of behind the scenes work.

Kirby
    You're preaching to the choir. Just pointing out another place where you can post what ever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

Kirby
    I think everyone can agree with that statement.

What was brought into question is the heavy-handed moderation of a thread that was active in the discussion of Meredith.

Don't lock a thread that was an outlet for so many hikers- dealing with a difficult scenario. Deal with offending members. It seems simple enough.

We are adults- not kids. Right?

Just got a PM from Dixie:
    Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter
    you just came off it not too long ago... want back on it?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Thanks for posting the alternative, HOI. Perhaps some who are unhappy will here will be happier there. Just as no one tent is right for everyone and no one hammock is right for everyone, no one forum is right for everyone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++