WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    GA-ME 08

Default My clothing list- Will I be warm enough?

I'm leaving Springer in mid April and I'm not sure weather (yes, I spelled it wrong on purpose) my clothing list will be enough to keep me warm. What kind of temperatures can I expect?

1 pair zip-off pants
    1 pair shorts/swim trunks
    2 short sleeve t-shirts
    1 pair boxers
    2-3 pair socks
    1 fleece sweatshirt
    1 lightweight rain jacket
    1 wool hat
    1 baseball hat

Should I bring a heavier jacket and/or long johns? If so, how long should I plan on carrying them?

It can still get pretty cold in April down south, thinking of SMNP. I'd have a warm jacket for in camp/night just in case.
    ad astra per aspera

why do you need shorts if your pants are zip-offs?

It could get very windy with temps down to about 10F.

So put on your clothes and go stand around in dark windy freezing temps and see how warm you feel.

I carry a down jacket for the cold times..Patagonia down sweater (9 ounces).

If the fleece you mention is extra thick it probably will do you while hiking but may not when stopped around camp.

Sandalwood

Like everyone said, it can be very cold during your planned date, this was near Springer on 4/09/07 and it stayed cold for a good while thruough April and May.
    Your list looks OK, but what's really important is:
    - Have a plan/back-up clothes if when you do get wet.
    - Do the layering thing during your hike so you don't sweat too much.
    - How do you plan to stay warm during the night, while sleeping, it's pretty easy to stay warm while hiking, but sleeping is a different story.

GA-ME 08

Thanks everybody. I wasn't expecting it to be so cold, so I will probably revise my list.

Quote Originally Posted by ErickP View Post
    ... If so, how long should I plan on carrying them?
    How long you planning to be on the trail?

Dude, I wouldn't do too much revising. Drop a pair of the shorts and add another pants layer. Make one your two shirts long sleeve. That should be enough. Assuming your fleece is good.
    Yahtzee

GA-ME 08

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    How long you planning to be on the trail?
    I'm doing the whole trail in 4 months

GA-ME 08

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    Dude, I wouldn't do too much revising. Drop a pair of the shorts and add another pants layer. Make one your two shirts long sleeve. That should be enough. Assuming your fleece is good.
    I think I will be plenty warm while I'm hiking, so I could also just bring an under armour shirt and shorts as a base layer to wear in camp.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think I will be plenty warm while I'm hiking, so I could also just bring an under armour shirt and shorts as a base layer to wear in camp.

Is that Under Armour stuff pretty warm? I saw some of it at the local outdoors store yesterday and was wondering?

I am doing a three day hike late April from Springer, I wonder what I should plan to encounter?

I'm doing the whole trail in 4 months
    Is that because of time constraints caused by school?

GA-ME 08

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    Is that Under Armour stuff pretty warm? I saw some of it at the local outdoors store yesterday and was wondering?

I am doing a three day hike late April from Springer, I wonder what I should plan to encounter?
    Its keeping me warm right now as I sit at the computer. My parents have something against heat

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Like everyone said, it can be very cold during your planned date, this was near Springer on 4/09/07 and it stayed cold for a good while thruough April and May.
    Your list looks OK, but what's really important is:
    - Have a plan/back-up clothes if when you do get wet.
    - Do the layering thing during your hike so you don't sweat too much.
    - How do you plan to stay warm during the night, while sleeping, it's pretty easy to stay warm while hiking, but sleeping is a different story.
    Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    ...I am doing a three day hike late April from Springer, I wonder what I should plan to encounter?
    Check out the link above. It didn't warm up until late May.

Images

you need merino wool long johns

Better have at least a pair of long base layer pants. You probably also need something warmer than a fleece sweatshirt & an under armor shirt.

We ran into weather in the 20's in mid-April near Erwin this spring.

By far the best thing to do is to do some trial runs in cold weather, even if it is just staying out in your backyard sitting around for a few hours in the evening and then sleeping outside in your planned setup.

The sitting out is as important as the sleeping, so that you'll know if you'll be comfortable around camp as well as once you are in your sleeping bag.
    Last edited by River Runner; 01-06-2008 at 04:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Yahtzee View Post
    What he said. You need some long underwear as a dry reserve and to sleep in. Make sure your fleece will keep you warm or consider a jacket or wool sweater instead.

However, I would consider keeping a pair of very light nylon shorts to do laundry and swim in. They might also come in handy if your skin gets irritated.

Images

make sure some of your stuff is windproof. The balds are really windy, and it doesn't stop.
    can't never did

Yep you need long johns...perfect for creating layers. You may not need the swim trunks as you have zipoff pants which work for swimming. Though I have used swim trunks to hike in and not needing underware. You Do need a long sleved shirt, to keep skeeters off you, and can add another later to keep warm keep it synthetic nylon or a combination of synthetic fibers. Dittos for the T shirts too...no cotton!!

Heres what I have experienced with UnderArmor. They work, the reason why they work is because it doesnt release the air thats under it. Now, when your hiking you will get extremely hot in an insulated underarmor shirt. The problem is, if your at camp and you are wearing one, if cold air gets inside of it, the air seems to be trapped and you will get really cold and have no way to let the cold air out without lifting up your shirt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++