WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Solitude on the trail. Company in camp. I often backpack with 1-2 other hikers, but usually take up the sweep. It seems to happen regardless of who I hike with. That seems to be my equilibrium. I like to hike alone, but take breaks and enjoy camp with others.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosthiker View Post
    Probably the best thing you could do is leave your itenary with someone, including an ETA back home.
    Thank you Ghosthiker and CoyoteWhips for your response.

Honestly, the itenary and ETA is not to protect me, I need my whits more than anything else for that, but if no one knows where I'm at, no one can know I'm even missing or maybe hurt somewhere and where would they even start looking? I was thinking of my family and friends. I'm good with that. I"m not going to stop hiking or living my life. I'll just be a little smarter.

There is a lot of talk about how we react to others on the trail. Perhaps we should also consider how our actions may be perceived by others, so as not to cause alarm or fear.

I usually hike with my brother. We stop and chat with other hikers. Usually the only ones who appear wary talking to us are solo female hikers and we are not all that scary looking. We always give others plenty of room and just offer friendly smiles and simple banter about the trail and the weather. I would not say we consciously try to put others at ease simply because we are just hiking with no worries, but maybe we should consider some simple steps to avoid unnecessarily raising anyone's concern?

We met a young lady a few years ago who was SOBO and went by the name Ghost, because she stealthed and was rarely seen. You could see she was on guard by her stance and mannerims. Smart lady, but sad nonetheless that she could not enjoy more socializing on the trail.

Another time, we ran into two young ladies finishing up the LT. We had a very friendly chat with them. After we separated, my brother and I talked about how they did not seem to be concerned in the least about talking to two old farts like us in the middle of nowhere. We weren't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing.

The stuff going on at Blood Mountain worries me, mostly because I was up there a couple weeks ago. I hate to say it but I doubt I'll be going back on the trail until I have a .22LR pistol and a german sheperd. Its enough to give anyone a second thought about doing anything.

Default Guns & Such

I just have to chime in.

A friend's husband is very into firearms, the 2nd amendment, self-defense, etc. He used to live in Arizona, and was telling me that he would go camping all the time, but always armed. He would lie 1/2 awake at night, and constantly think--what's that noise? What is that? And be esp. suspiciuous of everyone he saw, and would always have his firearm close at hand.

Well, now this guy lives in New Jersey (where I used to live) and was asking me about some hikes on the AT there. I told him that the most I've ever carried was a small camping knife for cutting rope, peeling apples, etc. He was very suprised. He told me that he would love to do some hiking in that area, but of course he wouldn't dream about not taking his gun along. I cringed, thinking of his reaction to possible night-hikers, homeless-looking thru-hikers, and animals scrounging around during the day and night.

Just a passing thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGSU View Post
    The stuff going on at Blood Mountain worries me, mostly because I was up there a couple weeks ago. I hate to say it but I doubt I'll be going back on the trail until I have a .22LR pistol and a german sheperd. Its enough to give anyone a second thought about doing anything.
    I hear what your saying, but think about this; A few years ago a killer was stalking parking lots ( i think in virginia), he was shooting people from inside his car trunk. Funny I didn't hear anyone speaking reluctantly about going to home depot ( it sure didn't hurt their sales).

Why do you think that is? We know we're statistically in more danger out in the street than on the trail. We're more likely to get into a car accident and die on the way to the trail head. Logic tells us one thing, but our fear ( the most primitive emotion) tells us something else.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    ..... 24, 48 hours or more without speaking to another human... gets kinda weird, IMO.
    Just 24/48 hrs gets weird!..You may be suffering from socialophilia

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest View Post
    I hear what your saying, but think about this; A few years ago a killer was stalking parking lots ( i think in virginia), he was shooting people from inside his car trunk. Funny I didn't hear anyone speaking reluctantly about going to home depot ( it sure didn't hurt their sales).

Why do you think that is? We know we're statistically in more danger out in the street than on the trail. We're more likely to get into a car accident and die on the way to the trail head. Logic tells us one thing, but our fear ( the most primitive emotion) tells us something else.
    I posted this in another thread...

I think people realize that every time you leave your home you can be a victim, accidentally or otherwise. Even your home is not 100% safe. Here are some statistics that might add some perspective...

http://www.nsc.org/lrs/statinfo/odds.htm

Don't be afraid to hike, just hike smart.
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->

I think it's also important to realize that with the capture of this "person" the trail just got a lot safer. Just because something terrible happened doesn't mean that there is a sudden crime wave of nutjobs. If he were NOT caught, this would be of greater concern.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    That is BS, people fight back every day and win, the press doesn't report it. If you've already decided to be a victim you've sealed your own fate. Our country wasn't founded or built by people with your defeatist mindset.

THere are few guarantees in life, you are right in the regard, except the guarantee that'll you'll have your arse handed to you if you are unprepared.
    I know a guy who was jumped by a gang of four muggers in DC one night while he was walking home. He was fresh out of the Marine Corps, and a broken leg and a broken jaw later (for them, not him), he made an escape and the police got the two who were injured when they showed up at the hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    There is a lot of talk about how we react to others on the trail. Perhaps we should also consider how our actions may be perceived by others, so as not to cause alarm or fear.
    If I encounter a woman alone in the woods while walking, I smile and say hello and speed on past. I do not want to be "that creepy guy", whether she is justified in thinking so or not. It's only if she wants to talk that I would say anything more or stop. At a shelter or something, you have to make conversation, to be polite, and I figure if she's not comfortable she'll move on.

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    If I encounter a woman alone in the woods while walking, I smile and say hello and speed on past. I do not want to be "that creepy guy", whether she is justified in thinking so or not. It's only if she wants to talk that I would say anything more or stop. At a shelter or something, you have to make conversation, to be polite, and I figure if she's not comfortable she'll move on.
    I don't bother with any of that, I just act the same as I would with anyone, that is to say 'natural'(burping,cursing,drinking,etc). If she thinks I'm a creep or weirdo thats her mistake. And if she thinks she's going to mace me or something.....just try it, sister!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    I just have to chime in.

A friend's husband is very into firearms, the 2nd amendment, self-defense, etc. He used to live in Arizona, and was telling me that he would go camping all the time, but always armed. He would lie 1/2 awake at night, and constantly think--what's that noise? What is that? And be esp. suspiciuous of everyone he saw, and would always have his firearm close at hand.

Well, now this guy lives in New Jersey (where I used to live) and was asking me about some hikes on the AT there. I told him that the most I've ever carried was a small camping knife for cutting rope, peeling apples, etc. He was very suprised. He told me that he would love to do some hiking in that area, but of course he wouldn't dream about not taking his gun along. I cringed, thinking of his reaction to possible night-hikers, homeless-looking thru-hikers, and animals scrounging around during the day and night.

Just a passing thought.
    Just my luck to stumble into his "camp" on a nighthike. Maybe Outward Bound or NOLS should offer classes on E & E, harbor sites and the building of pungi pits and night perimeter defenses. If we could just get them, we could set out claymores every night just in case, can't be too safe. And since personal security is the most important thing in the world for some people, maybe they should work to have security lights with motion detectors installed on the trail, surveillance cameras and personal GPS locator chips and a satellite phone to use when and if an old questionable backpacking hippie approaches and things get hairy. Dangit, he just looks suspicious! Call in your coordinates, go to ground, sight-acquire-fire. Shoot first, ask later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    and a satellite phone to use when and if an old questionable backpacking hippie approaches and things get hairy.
    Don't things always get hairy when old hippies are around?

Don't things always get hairy when old hippies are around?
    My point exactly.

Images

If I encounter a woman alone in the woods while walking, I smile and say hello and speed on past. I do not want to be "that creepy guy", whether she is justified in thinking so or not.
    Frankly, I've gotten to the point I don't even want to make eye contact when passing women on the trail. If she says hello, I'll respond, but most of the time I'm pretending to admire the scenic view on the other side of the trail.

I 100% agree with the notion that you need to take the measures YOU need to make YOU feel safe.

If you feel confident in self defense, then great. If you feel a knife is required, fine. If you feel you need a firearm, then if you're willing to carry the extra weight, go for it!

I personally have a concealed carry permit for my S&W .40 handgun and it stays in my car mostly. I would carry it backpacking if it wasn't for the weight issue. I do carry a knife and I do keep it handy.

For all those who are jumping on the "guns dont belong on the trail" bandwagon, who are you to say what is required for a certain person to feel safe? If you feel safe with your bare hands or cunning wit, then more power to you. If you feel safe with bear mace, great, carry it. Only YOU can determine what makes you feel safe.

TO EACH HIS/HER OWN!!
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixGSU View Post
    Typical knee-jerk reaction to a senseless crime on our turf. For the safety sake of all hikers, please leave the guns at home. Accidents can be just as deadly as senseless crimes.

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    ..... please leave the guns at home. Accidents can be just as deadly as senseless crimes.
    How about this; you don't worry about what others carry in their backpacks/jackets/holsters, and others won't concern themselves with what you carry in yours.

Fair enough?

Quote Originally Posted by KirkMcquest View Post
    How about this; you don't worry about what others carry in their backpacks/jackets/holsters, and others won't concern themselves with what you carry in yours.

Fair enough?
    Nope, carrying guns on the AT is BS. No need and very dangerous.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++