WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Question 1500 dollar through hike

no hotels, no restaurant spoils, straight through from georgia to maine. if there are no serious problems can it be done for 1500 dollars

Can you live on $75 a week?

ive heard people doing it for under a thousnd, i feed my family of three for 75 a week c'mon now one person does not need 75 a week in food

Working on Forestry Grad schol

if there are no serious problems

Do you remember 4-7 months of your life that have not included any serious problems?

Quote Originally Posted by snowsurfer View Post
    no hotels, no restaurant spoils, straight through from georgia to maine. if there are no serious problems can it be done for 1500 dollars
    Yes.

Images

Do some research, there are tons of threads on here discussing this very topic. Definately look in the articles section for Weathercarrot's excellent account of a cheap thru-hiking (I believe done on $1500).

My quick answer:

Yes it's certainly possible. I did it with more money, and didn't regret a thing. You'll have to sacrifice. A lot. This is tough after being in the woods burning thousands of calories. You've gotta have a lot of discipline and be really independent-minded. This means watching all your friends eat restaurant meals while you cook your ramen noodles. This means no Ben n Jerry's, no Pizza, no beer, you can't be much of a smoker, etc.

You said "assuming nothing goes wrong". Well, most likely over 5-6 months something WILL go wrong. You'll get hurt, you'll get sick, you might have to go home for a funeral or something. You just don't know. What if it rains for 14 straight days and you want a motel room because you're starting to grow mold on your body? Consider postage to send drops, send equiptment home, mail letters, etc. What if you're gear malfunctions and you need to replace it?

I'm not trying to discourage you, but simply be realistic. For most people, an AT thru-hike is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you have 1500 bucks, why not do half the trail and come back the next yr to finish it? Or get another job. I can't tell you how satisfying it is to have that mental cusion, to know you can treat yourself is something goes wrong or you just need it. Don't cheat yourself or compromise a very unique journey. The point is to enjoy it, not to try and survive with little to nothing
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Of course it is possible. Go for it.

They say anything's possible.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

...if you even ask this question...

No.

You probably do not have the skills or the gumption to make it happen. Sorry.

There are people that are already living on the street that might make that happen. Save up for one more year and go for it with 3K or 4K...

Nah, just go for it. If you don't finish, no big deal. Go as far as you can get. It will be a good experience for you no matter how far you get. I think you can even do it on $1200 if you go 20 miles a day on average. That's more than $10 a day. Ultimately, all you need is air, water, food, and enough clothing to keep you warm, dry, and out of jail.

this assuming you have gear-and gear that is solid-that will last through the end?

think: boots, insoles, pack - I see those things wearing out/expensive/needing interchange. Can get by cheap with the clothes-esp. if you're moving fast all you need is shorts & tshirt for the majority of hiking. If your boots can do the miles, bravo. I'd guess you'd need at least 1 replacement insole if not two if the boot structure holds up.

food wise-it can be done-1 person, on 1500. $10 a day. You move fast you can spend money on more luxurious snacks, assuming your gear and not staying anywhere but free spots/outdoors is floating fine. being a good soul you can probably garner some solid trail magic along the way from the universe and other hikers will be your family. I know I had no problem hooking someone up if they were the person who needed the (beer, food, room split, etc). It was my pleasure.

i didn't, but i wish i did, and thought about a lot the few times I was around brian and glynn (2007) this year (twins-using heavy, old gear) i wanted to throw a $100 bill in their stuff-but i didn't want them to feel like I pitied them at all-they had the best attitudes of anyone i met on the trail, they were inspiring.

if you need gear things, you'll need more than 1500, imho.

You can pick up old gear in shelters, hiker boxes, and from leftover junk at hostels. I saw perfectly good hiking poles, all kinds of clothes, brand-new water systems, flashlights, batteries, compass, maps, shoes, nalgenes, almost anything you need besides a sleeping bag, pack, or tent. Plenty of food including the occasional Mountain House.

ive heard people doing it for under a thousnd, i feed my family of three for 75 a week c'mon now one person does not need 75 a week in food
    If you already know the answer, why are you asking?

tater,

i too saw lots of gear-and used some, such as $80 river fording shoe/sandal deals that were worn a bit by a previous hiker--but to bank on getting your replacement footwear/water system/poles/headlamp/maps--making a plan around it-i guess thats not a style I'd recommend-but you know sometimes you're hiking and the powers that be supply _everything_ you actually need. everything takes care of itself-

i have guided groups on the at for years in maine and new hampshire, i have done all of maine and new hampshire in the dead of winter with very little money spent please don't question my experience ont the trail and what it costs to hike a long way in any conditions

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

75 bucks a week for a family of three is substinance. The bare essentials. Cmon man. You should probably stay home and keep providing for your family and then try to do more. Sounds like you really cannot afford this luxury at this time. Money you take from this hike is coming out of your children's mouth.

My opinion.

i have guided groups on the at for years in maine and new hampshire, i have done all of maine and new hampshire in the dead of winter with very little money spent please don't question my experience ont the trail and what it costs to hike a long way in any conditions
    So if you know it all, why are you asking?

My point is just that if you had to make do, you could make do. Some people even hike barefoot, but there was quite a selection of shoes in the pavilion in Port Clinton a couple of years ago. There were literally cases of ramen at the HQ in Harpers Ferry. I never bought a razor, just got them out of hiker boxes. Even got a chapstick. You can use a stick for a hiking pole. A friend got a pair of North Face shorts in good condition at Kincora. I picked up a baseball hat in a shelter when I needed one because of the deerflies, and it was brand new, no dirt or odor inside. I picked up pole tips along the trail as replacements. Five or six bandanas along the trail. I left a suitcase at Hiker Hostel; surely someone used it to get their stuff home by now.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 01-07-2008 at 00:20.

Oh geez if you don't want your experience questioned stay off the internet. Please. If you're a winter guide then you shouldn't be asking such rudimentary questions.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++