WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lacbe View Post
    I tried in in 2007 and failed, I only made it to Neels Gap, and the feeling I had sitting in the foyer next to the bathrooms, made sick to my stomach, I told myself that I would never forget that feeling. Now I have that same drive again. to try again. No disrespect to those who do it in sections or just enjoy being on the AT but why go all the way?
    With all due respect, can you share why you fell short just 30 miles in your initial attempt. What is it an injury, difficulty, weather, or just not what you had envisioned. Maybe understanding that will help you in your next attempt.

*thanks kirby!

I was just bored and wanted a change.

I tried in in 2007 and failed, I only made it to Neels Gap, and the feeling I had sitting in the foyer next to the bathrooms, made sick to my stomach, I told myself that I would never forget that feeling. Now I have that same drive again. to try again. No disrespect to those who do it in sections or just enjoy being on the AT but why go all the way?
    When a nobo thru hike attempt ends at Neels, I have to guess that the hiker in question simply hadn't done their homework concerning the nature of the trail -- or perhaps had never actually done a two or three-day hike in the woods with a backpack. Quitting after two or three weeks, or after a month or two, is another matter -- that's more likely to be one of expectations not being met, or boredom, or some such.

Well, anyway my own attempt ended after sixty days and falls into the 2nd category. Oh, I felt plenty bad. Many tears at the time. I always felt like I wanted (in fact, needed) to finish the job I'd started. And eventually it came to pass, through no small effort... 17 years later.

Why? Wow, tough question. I suppose there's nothing terribly rational about it. Needed a change in my life, needed to "get away." I'd broken my hip a year earlier, in a skiing injury, and it seemed important to prove to myself that I was well again -- well enough to do a marathon walk in the woods.

Images

He seemed to have a good reason to drop-off:

I had two hernia surgeries on 1/17/2007 and tried to begin my journey on 3/17/2007. Big mistake, I was to stubburn to wait another year, My wife of 35 years says I'm not to bright sometimes. She is right. But the drive is still there.
    Never had a hernia, but pretty sure I wouldn't want to go hikin right after getting two of them fixed. 'Fixed' somehow seems like a scary word when talking about that area.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Lacbe, are you starting this year? If so, when?
    Just take it easy and don't think about Maine, that's way too much trail for anyone to think about at one time. Despite your "drive" to do a thru-hike, if your anything like me, you'll be hating life after the 3rd day. Just have to keep telling yourself: "It can't get any worse than this". It will get worse, but keep telling yourself that. No rain, no pain, no Maine.

The only reason the number of people complete a thru is because of the social factor, without that, the number would be so much smaller, it's just plain tough(mentally, the physical part is easy after a couple of weeks and barring injury), but very doable given the right frame of mind, you just have to find out what works for you.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    With all due respect, can you share why you fell short just 30 miles in your initial attempt. What is it an injury, difficulty, weather, or just not what you had envisioned. Maybe understanding that will help you in your next attempt.

*thanks kirby!
    I he was a NOBO, and made it to Neels Gap, I don't think he was SOBO, correct me if I am wrong.

Kirby

To try all the camping gear I have to see it really works well.Mental limits. Get out of the city for a while.To do and see all the things I read about on WB. And what ever else happens to happen.

Images

Default because its there

the reason i want to do this is:
    1. unemployeed
    2. got the money to go
    3. health still good enough to go
    4. single
    5. love the outdoors
    6. already got the gear
    7. always wanted to go (in 1973, but life got in the way)

but most of all;
    where could i meet a more understanding, friendly, soft spoken, give u the shirt off their back, humble group of people like the ones on Whiteblaze

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    the physical and mental challenge of it.

renew my spirit.
    x2 .... mental challenge is the best part, I think.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    x2 .... mental challenge is the best part, I think.
    That's ok Rick ... we'll still let you hike with us regardless of you being mentally challenged.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    A change from my current life. I always feel like I am trying 100%, and I want to do something that will require me to try 100% both physically and mentally. Plus, I can't thing of a better way to spend my spring and summer.

Kirby
    Sounds like that came straight out of the movie Trek Great movie BTW.

Because I want to carry a concealed handgun from one end of the trail to the other…

Seriously I don’t want to through hike it, section hiking would fill my needs just fine.

Images

I wanted to celebrate still breathing after a decade of military service. (And I only spend a few weeks in combat areas, but a few friends still didn't make it.....)

I had the money, time, and inclination.

Who really needs a reason?

Just get out there and hike!
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Thumbs up Why?

I just love to hike.
    Uncle Wayne

Just wanna give my 2 cents here. I think that hiking at all is a noble endeavor. If one tries to thru hike and decides not to; there is nothing wrong with that. It is a monumental task to hike 2175 miles. I am looking forward to it but it is scary to me to try. I section hike right now. One day I hope to thru hike but if I don't there is no shame. I say to you kudos for what you have done, not shame for what you haven't.

Default Why do you want to thru hike the AT

Hiking the AT was the healthiest thing (both mentally and physically) that I ever did just for myself. I would encourage recent retirees or people who are in one of lives great transitions to do the AT.
    It also helps if you’re a little nuts. You can do it if you’re sane but it may be a handicap.

Cindy From Indy

Smile Soooo many reasons.....

I've been thinking about doing this for over 20 years.........I have this ache in my soul and I need to prove to myself that I can meet and conquer this challenge. There is a kind of 'romance' about it too. I am attracted to that. But I am also realistic. This hike will be a helluva lot of hard work!

I want to see unspoiled landscapes and commune with it all.

I want to feel the feelings that the very early hikers had. The good, the bad and all the ugly stuff too! LOL

At one point in my life I was told I would never walk again. Well, by God, I'll show them all!!!!

I plan on doing it in 2010. I have done sections up to now. Have hiked springer to fontana,SNP and new jersy. I have a question. have I saw the hard parts of the trail yet? This year I plan on hiken just east of the smokies and going east for 2 or 3 weeks. How hard is this part? Thank you all. To answer your question I think it is just a drive a person gets. I know how short life is because Im a nurse in a nursing home. It makes me feel good to tell my patients about my hiking and they love it. Even taken my gear in and showed them. Even made a trail dinner for them it was great. To me this is what life is about. The trail provides an escape from the "real" world and allows me to clear my mind.

Well, Mapman has some surprising statistics -- Georgia is hard, even by the numbers. So you've got that under your belt!

Most folks would agree, I think, that the toughest part of the AT is the Whites and southern Maine.

SNP has some respectable verticals but is very nicely graded, for the most part, which isn't usually the case on the AT. New Jersey isn't on anybody's list for the toughest part of the AT.

I made it to NOC in 1998 before I dropped off. And the reason I quit was due to my husband's stressful job. Him having to take care of everything at home (dogs and cats) while I was gone. And me feeling a bit guilty about it and not being able to shake the feeling that it was the wrong time to go.
    Now he has totally changed careers and when he gets through with school this summer, I will be attempting it again in 2009 or 2010.
    And the reason that I wanted to do it was to find out if I could. Since I didn't fall off a mountain, blow myself up with the camp stove or get eaten by a bear, I guess I found out I could.
    Dog is my Co-Hiker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++