WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Why do you want to thru hike the AT

I tried in in 2007 and failed, I only made it to Neels Gap, and the feeling I had sitting in the foyer next to the bathrooms, made sick to my stomach, I told myself that I would never forget that feeling. Now I have that same drive again. to try again. No disrespect to those who do it in sections or just enjoy being on the AT but why go all the way?

Images

Because I want to challenge myself and see if I can find work-arounds to my own limits/doubts. No desire to conquer the AT or prove anything to anyone, just want to do something for me.

Besides, it's a good excuse to go play in the woods for a few months.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Oh, I forgot those who have done it, why did you do it? Did you find what you were looking for?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post

Besides, it's a good excuse to go play in the woods for a few months.
    As good a reason as any other, and probably far more candid.

I don't know why I want to try again(quit at Damascus in '76) other than even after quitting I still kind of wanted to do it, that and my daugther wants to give it a go, so at least I'll have other motivation this time.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I'm not really looking for anything. I'm doing it this year for a couple reasons....

a) I can and it's there
    b) It is going to be an amazing and unique experience
    c) Meet and learn from all sorts of new people from all different walks
    d) Get back in trail-shape and play in the woods for an extended period
    e) Accomplish something great and incredibly challenging
    Andy Pittman

Not enough information here, need to answer the following:
    - Why I quit
    - Why I have such a strong desire to do a thru-hike.

I had a strong desire because my health, I could see, was deteriorating (no it wasn't to be with nature). I saw a thru-hike as an overhaul to my body; I could have just gone to Harper's Ferry, that probably would have been good enough for an "overhaul", but the end is at Katahdin so I figured what the hell. No words of wisdom here, it's just because that was where the trail ended.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Images

Because the idea of the Great Journey took hold of my imagination decades ago, when I was a child. Other than that, there were lots of fantastic things to see (eagles, loons, hawks, flowers, moss, waterfalls, lakes, ice, snow...) and experience. (Eating as much as I want and still losing weight ranks way up there.) I was too stubborn to quit when quitting seemed like a good idea, then things would turn around and I'd start enjoying myself again.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I got it REALLY BAD. It hurts.

Images

the physical and mental challenge of it.

renew my spirit.

I had two hernia surgeries on 1/17/2007 and tried to begin my journey on 3/17/2007. Big mistake, I was to stubburn to wait another year, My wife of 35 years says I'm not to bright sometimes. She is right. But the drive is still there.

Images

Because it's fun. Personaly there are no eureka moments or things to find. There are self discoveries of strenght and a understanding of what one really needs to be happy. After a few weeks in the woods you won't be the same person that started anyway IMHO. At least until the hike ends. It all depends on how much deprivation you are willing or not willing to take during a long-distance hike. If you have to ask why some folks do a long distance hike ... if you have any doubts now as to why go all the way your chances start going down - I believe you should have no doubts as to why attempt a thru by the time you step on the trailhead. For the couple of thousand folks that try it every year - there could be a couple of thousand different reasons ... self-imposed rehabs, self-imposed fatcamps, the kids that think it's a big smokefest ... escapisim. Or it could be as simple as it's a great adventure that you can fondly remember for years to come.
    PS - I only made it to New Hampshire. I'll finish the last 400 or so miles sometime this year.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Dino, It would be an honer to meet you on the trail, with all that you and your family has been thru . You to me, show what this community is all ab out. Caring for those who enjoy being out in nature and what we as hikers enjoying.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I wrote this almost exactly 10 yrs ago...

"The most asked question about hike (besides if I have seen the movie "Deliverance" ) is a simple "WHY GO?" I have several reasons, but I think the best answer is for the journey itself-all the pain and joys, all the experiences that comes with a 2160 mile walk in the woods. My journey on the AT will not be easy. I will be tired, cold, wet, and, at times, depressed. But I will see sunsets, smell pines on a sunny day, and relish the cup of hot cocoa on a chilly night. In short, my journey on the AT will be filled with memories I will not forget. That is the answer to the question "WHY GO?"" -

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I wrote this almost exactly 10 yrs ago...

"The most asked question about hike (besides if I have seen the movie "Deliverance" ) is a simple "WHY GO?" I have several reasons, but I think the best answer is for the journey itself-all the pain and joys, all the experiences that comes with a 2160 mile walk in the woods. My journey on the AT will not be easy. I will be tired, cold, wet, and, at times, depressed. But I will see sunsets, smell pines on a sunny day, and relish the cup of hot cocoa on a chilly night. In short, my journey on the AT will be filled with memories I will not forget. That is the answer to the question "WHY GO?"" -
    Very True, at least the way I interpret. Walking the trail is filled with pain, boredom; it’s cold, depressing... But then you have those times that are filled with things you'll never experience in the "real world", such as the views, wildlife sense of accomplishment, camaraderie,... These "good times" are eclipsed by the "bad", yet they are extremely memorable.

But then again:

Somehow many of those "bad" experiences turn into some of my best memories. Why do I gain so much joy in remembering how I almost suffered from hypothermia, or slipping & breaking my treking pole and cursing out the world, the list of miserable experiences is much larger than the good, yet I keep returning. Mind boggling.

Images

Because I know I CAN! I just need to get out there and do it without worrying about folks at home. I keep letting other people influence my hike and I need to do what I need to do. Part of it is proving to the naysayers that I CAN!

I'm wondering why it's the A.T. that exercises such a fascination vs. creating one's own hike of magnitude suiting the time/money available, using a wider network of footpaths.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

A change from my current life. I always feel like I am trying 100%, and I want to do something that will require me to try 100% both physically and mentally. Plus, I can't thing of a better way to spend my spring and summer.

Kirby

someone refresh this sobo's brain, how far is neels gap from SM?

My reasons for going:

1. adventure
    2. fun
    3. challenge.
    4. friendship and new experiences
    5. seeing the country.
    6. doing something different and off the beaten path
    7. enjoy the outdoors
    8. test of mental/physical limits

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    someone refresh this sobo's brain, how far is neels gap from SM?
    30.5 miles.

Kirby

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++