WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default anything wrong with lithium?

my princeton tec aurora headlight specifically calls for alkaline batteries. it warns that nicaads will not burn as bright. my question is what about lithium? anyone know? i tried emailing p.t. but their screwy website wont take my email.

Images

I hear lithium is good for ADD/ADHD...

No, I dont really know any bad news about using Li batts. *I* think they last longer than alkaline... but I have not done any testing...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

I f'ed up my Aurora by using lithium batteries - the lower resistance of the lithium batteries plus slightly higher voltage results in more current through the LEDs than they can handle - due to the heat build up the LED (one or more) will eventuallly fail - in my case after about 10 hours of use one of the LEDDs failed in such a way that it started blinking.

wow. see, now that is news you can use. thanks, hoi.

Images

Good on HOI, as they say... learn something new...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by Hog On Ice View Post
    I f'ed up my Aurora by using lithium batteries - the lower resistance of the lithium batteries plus slightly higher voltage results in more current through the LEDs than they can handle - due to the heat build up the LED (one or more) will eventuallly fail - in my case after about 10 hours of use one of the LEDDs failed in such a way that it started blinking.

It’s not the batteries that cause the LED’s to burn out it’s the poor design of the LED light that causes them to burn out the LED’s. Any LED can be over ranged in voltage or amperage if not protected by a voltage regulator or a dropping resister. The regulator is a little better able to do this then a dropping resistor, but they both will protect an LED from to much amperage. The regulator will also be better able to protect from not only excessive amperage, but also excessive voltage. Ideally you want to protect the LED from both. Lots of LED flashlights are not equipped with the right protective circuits to keep the LED’s in their optimal power range, so they run hot and burn out prematurely. LED lighting is still a fairly new technology and has not had enough time to have all the bugs shaken out of it yet.

The reason for lower light output from rechargeable batteries is that they are only 1.2 volts per cell, where as an alkaline battery is 1.5 volts per cell. 3-tents of a volt does not sound like all that much, but when you have a light that uses 4 AA batteries it’s the difference between 6-volts and 4.8-volts. It takes 5 rechargeable batteries to equal 4 alkaline batteries.

As far as using lithium batteries in place of Alkaline, I do it all the time with great results. Lithium batteries will retain much more of their charge when it’s cold out. Alkaline batteries don’t fair too well in the cold. Also Lithium batteries while more expensive weigh very little as compared to all other batteries.

but princeton tec specifically calls for alkalines. like i said, i couldnt contact them to ask why.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest View Post
    but princeton tec specifically calls for alkalines. like i said, i couldnt contact them to ask why.

1-800-257-9080

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    I hear lithium is good for ADD/ADHD...
    Works well with some Bipolar disorders...just, be sure to get monthly lithium levels...so as not to become toxic!
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    It’s not the batteries that cause the LED’s to burn out it’s the poor design of the LED light that causes them to burn out the LED’s
    Absolutely correct. If your headlamp won't take lithiums, then it is a POC and you should warn other about it.

There are too many over-priced POC headlamps out there.

If you do have a LED light that burns out the LEDs and have the factory replace it or buy another one. You can prevent it from cooking the new LEDs again by purposely putting rechargeable batteries in it. The lower voltage 1.2 as apposed to 1.5 volts per cell will dramatically lower the LEDs being over driven and while you will have a lower light output, you will not have the thermal runaway (burnout.) of the LEDs.

my princeton tec aurora headlight specifically calls for alkaline batteries. it warns that nicaads will not burn as bright. my question is what about lithium? anyone know? i tried emailing p.t. but their screwy website wont take my email.
    Maybee they've seen your avatar

Default Lithium Batteries

Bob S' comment about regulators, is good information.

Lithium batteries should not be used in the Aurora. This model is one of Princeton Tec's non-regulated series headlamps.

This problem is not limited to Princeton Tec. Petzl advises against the use of lithium batteries, in most of their product line.

Princeton Tec has responded by creating a regulated series. Their website currently shows 5 models which are designed to be used with lithium batteries. The Quad, similar to your Aurora but with an additional LED, is the lightest of the series.
    Roland

tater, you magnificent old school bastard! that series of numbers you gave me, when applied to this 20th century communications device on my wall, worked! i spoke to a very nice man who said that indeed the aurora is not made for lithium batteries and will be damaged by them. he went on to say the aurora has been discontinued and that the other lights with similar issues are clearly marked and annotated against the use of lithiums.
    oregon hiker, first of all, thank you for living as far away from me in this country as you can. second, i think you have a case of avatar envy. and who can blame you. look at yours. what did you do...lose a bet????
    thanks to all who answered my questions.

Images

Default Flying

On a side note regarding lithium batteries, a new rule for flying is in place since the new year. Extra lithiums, not in their unopened original package, are not allowed to be carried in checked in luggage. The must be in your carry on. Has something to do with lithiums, if they touch, can generate enough heat to start a fire. Does not apply to batteries in your devices, just loose ones.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

What is the best choice environmentally speaking?

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    What is the best choice environmentally speaking?
    fireflys????

Images

fireflys????
    Most of them have already been 'offed' by mosquito control treatments.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

not in my back yard on summer nights. wonderful. gus the sheltie chases them.

Yeti GAME 08 Team Deutschemark smaaax's Avatar

Looks like most of Petzel's lights shouldn't be used with lithiums.

http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=464#

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++