WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Long Trail info

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default Long Trail info

Back in 2002, I wrote a Long Trail doc for a hand out at an ALDHA Gathering.

It has been on my website in one form or another over the years since then.

Lately, I've noticed it has been getting a fair amount of hits. Since the doc was a bit outdated (Jonesville General store anyone?), it was time to update the doc a bit. I'd hate for people to use outdated information to plan a hike.

So, with the powers of the intertubes, I was able to update the doc for 2008.

As always, it is not the end all and be all of planning information, but should help in getting you started in planning a trek of this Vermont classic.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.ph...d=24&Itemid=33
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Savoring Happy!

Appreciate it Mags!!! Perfect timing as I'm just starting the logistical planning for a late Sept SOBO. I promise I'll put all the info to good use.

Nice! Thanks Mags. I'm walking the LT nobo starting in July.

cool, wish it was there last yr when i did the LT

the colorado trail is 200 miles longer than the LT. and you can hike it in the same amount of time as the LT. shows how rugged the long trail is. nice site, thanks.

Mile for mile, the northern part of the LT is some of the hardest hiking (physically) I've ever done. Of course, my pack was heavier then and I was in worse shape.

While it is a rugged trail, I think a great prep hike for the AT or just as an enjoyable hike in its right.

Glad people can make use the doc.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Hooray for the MAGS site.
    What? Me worry??

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Mile for mile, the northern part of the LT is some of the hardest hiking (physically) I've ever done. Of course, my pack was heavier then and I was in worse shape.

While it is a rugged trail, I think a great prep hike for the AT or just as an enjoyable hike in its right.

Glad people can make use the doc.
    too rugged for a hiker to carry a child carrier?

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    I know that there were numerous spots where I gave it my best shot and hoped for the best. There are many, many locations that were particularly dangerous when they were wet. I guess it come down to what risks you are prepared to take, especially with a child involved. I only had a few falls, but that was mainly due to being very careful. There are some spots where a fall wouldn't be forgiven. Several of the hikers I spent some hiking days or evenings with had their hikes end with falls. The climbs and decents are frequent and there is almost no flat hiking on the northern portion.

In parts, yes. Devils' Gulch comes to mind. Many parts of the LT were, IIRC, almost hand over hand climbing.

Here's a photo from the trail as well:

Yes. The ladder IS the trail!

You be the judge. Everyone is different. Naturally, not all parts of the LT are like the above photo.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

sweet post, thanks

If you really like the child, yes - some bits are too rugged!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

how about the CT.

how about the colorado trail too rugged?

Better tread, but could prove to be interesting above treeline at times with a small child.

You should read Scraping Heaven by Cindy Ross. The first part of the book is about being on the CT with their small children.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Better tread, but could prove to be interesting above treeline at times with a small child.

You should read Scraping Heaven by Cindy Ross. The first part of the book is about being on the CT with their small children.
    thankyou mags i'll check into that. i consider myself and my ole lady strong hikers, and would love for our daughter to be with us. that doesn't mean an accident couldn't happen. we would like to hike 4-5 weeks this fall,and naturally wanted to take my daughter with us(she would be a year old.) but would never jeapordize her safety. babysitter or more local hiking are options.

and naturally wanted to take my daughter with us(she would be a year old.) but would never jeapordize her safety. babysitter or more local hiking are options.

I imagine local hikes or even weekends are very doable with a one year old. Long term hikes probably less so.

My good friends took their one year old on a backpack last summer. He was also on a hut trip this past winter. The backpack was less than 4 miles r/t. The hut trip was less than 3 miles in with very little elev gain.

So it can be done; seems like you just need to adjust what you do.

Then again, I am saying this as a guy without bambinos
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    I know that there were numerous spots where I gave it my best shot and hoped for the best. There are many, many locations that were particularly dangerous when they were wet. I guess it come down to what risks you are prepared to take, especially with a child involved. I only had a few falls, but that was mainly due to being very careful. There are some spots where a fall wouldn't be forgiven. Several of the hikers I spent some hiking days or evenings with had their hikes end with falls. The climbs and decents are frequent and there is almost no flat hiking on the northern portion.
    Having also end-to-end hiked the LT last year, I second this especially the reference to the effect of wetness/dampness on one's footing.

Any thoughts on whether or not to hike the LT going North or going South? Is the trail more difficult going North? What about transportation to--from the trail on the North end or the South end. Anything else that you want to throw in would be appreciated.

The southern 100 mile are on the AT:

Easier tread, more popular, better maintained. Between RT4 and Rt15, the trail is quite burly but nicer in my opinion in terms of scenery.

After RT15, and the last 50 miles, the trail become easier.

If you go Sobo, you get the hard stuff over with and cruise on the AT portion.

Jamie Compos, aka Duct Tape, is w WBer and has a good guide for transportation info (towards the bottom):

http://www.jamiecompos.com/longtrail/planning.html
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jack View Post
    Any thoughts on whether or not to hike the LT going North or going South? Is the trail more difficult going North? What about transportation to--from the trail on the North end or the South end. Anything else that you want to throw in would be appreciated.
    I'd say definitely head NOBO. Firstly, the very gradual progression from relatviely easy to quite difficult gives a hiker the chance to slowly get in shape for the most difficult section, between Lincoln Gap and Johnson. Secondly, the trail begins quite scenic, but the more spectacular sections are in the north and are something to really look forward to.

The southern end is quite easy to reach. The northern end is almost in the middle of nowhere, which is a downside. The time of year is another thing to consider. Heading NOBO very late in the season, or SOBO very early, means being colder in the north.

While I was on my hike I often thought that I was glad I listened to the many hikers that said, "Head NOBO".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++