WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

so from some posts it seems safe to call hilton a sort of national/state park and trail vagrant, wandering around from campsite to campsite or trail and just kind of scraping by. he was prominent enough in the area to be 'known of' by locals. apparently he had fairly intimate knowledge of the remote areas of north georgia, guessing from his placement of her body.

warrigahey, i understand what you are saying in post 2, but NCW kind of summed up what i am trying to get at. my point of view is that if some guy behaves like this virtually in my own back yard, i want to understand his profile as much as possible, not neccesserally to pre-judge others in the future though.

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    . . .
    warrigahey, i understand what you are saying in post 2, but NCW kind of summed up what i am trying to get at. my point of view is that if some guy behaves like this virtually in my own back yard, i want to understand his profile as much as possible, not neccesserally to pre-judge others in the future though.
    I get it Wf hp, after I saw your address it was too late to retract. You folks must be feeling it harder than most.
    Peace.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by STEVEM View Post
    LW, I've learned how much it hurts to loose a person I never knew.
    You mean "lose"
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Journal Entries
    Images

Check out the email I just got.

[quote]
    Read the e-mail at the bottom of this page..way too close........we should all stay on our toes at all times! Val

>>> B V 1/9/2008 11:44 AM >>>
    This is from my pastor's wife. Read the e-mail at the bottom.
    Bev.

> Pam P 1/9/2008 11:30 AM >>>
    I don't know this girl, but I can't imagine whats going through her mind. this is so scary knowing its so close to our homes, and to know he's only about 1&1/2 miles from my house in Dawson Co. jail. and the murder took place about 5 miles from my house and only 2 from both my kids homes. Love yall, Pam

I wanted to forward this on. It's from Nancy Hothem Linkesh and it's really scary to think of what could have happened. We all just need to stay cautious and aware of our surroundings at all times.

Subject: missing hiker

Hey everybody-
    I am sure you have all heard about the hiker who went missing on New Year's Day and the guy who is in custody for kidnapping her. Her body was found today and I am sure they will be charging him with her murder. He is also suspected in several other murders in Florida, North Carolina, and Georgia.
    I wanted to tell you all about what happened to me so that you will all be aware of who you talk to and to pay attention to your "something is weird here" radar.
    The day before the girl, Meredith Emerson, went missing, I was hiking on the same trail on Blood Mountain. I saw the man who is suspected of killing her and I talked to him for about 10 minutes. He asked me if I was alone and if I had a cell phone. It wasn't particularly odd that he asked me those questions, because he worked them into the conversation. My radar did go off because he is very strange. I didn't feel like I was in danger because I was with a group that I was hiking ahead of when I encountered him on the trail. I'd like to think I wouldn't have talked to him if I was alone, but I probably would
    have- just to be polite. He was most likely 'shopping' me as a victim. He was walking very quickly ahead of me as we talked and I walked more quickly to be able to hear him and continue the conversation. I kept looking back to make sure I could see or hear my group. When the trail split, he went the other way than we did. My husband noticed that when we got to the bottom of the trail, the suspect, Hilton, was behind us. I don't know if he doubled back to see if I was alone or not.

That encounter was a little too close to home. I always try to be friendly and polite, but I've found that is not such a good idea. Who cares if a stranger thinks you snubbed them?
    Just keep in mind that the world is full of bad people and that they are very good at manipulating situations to get you involved with them.

Be safe and listen to your gut! "Stranger Danger" applies to grown-ups, too.

Nancy

[\quote]

Scary ain't it??
    Last edited by dixicritter; 01-09-2008 at 18:40. Reason: To remove personal information and email addresses

Images

Very chilling. Thanks for posting that. I assume she has gone to the police with this.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries

I am currently section hiking the
    AT and will be starting at Fontana Dam the first of April. In 1983, my 16 year old daughter was kidnapped and murdered so I know the agony and pain the family is going through and will continue to endure.
    We must keep Meredith's family in our thoughts and prayers. I will not let these twisted individuals deter me from trying to enjoy life. I will be keenly aware of the dangers, but will be back on the trail with a heavy heart for Meredith.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dab48eu View Post
    AT and will be starting at Fontana Dam the first of April. In 1983, my 16 year old daughter was kidnapped and murdered so I know the agony and pain the family is going through and will continue to endure.
    We must keep Meredith's family in our thoughts and prayers. I will not let these twisted individuals deter me from trying to enjoy life. I will be keenly aware of the dangers, but will be back on the trail with a heavy heart for Meredith.
    That is so horrible I don't know what to say. You are very courageous to carry on undeterred.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

dab, Im in The 'Ham too, drop me a line when your not hiking!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Hilton was just named suspect in a Florida murder case he fits the description.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

Quote Originally Posted by Waterbuffalo View Post
    Crews, the POS who did the double murder in 90 on the AT, was wanted for murder in Florida too

Images

LW your right I forgot about that.
    "Sometimes you have to make a clean break from the past to make a new beginning"

And the POS that did the double murder at Wapiti shelter in VA is a free man today.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    we know just the tip of the iceberg about this *******. i've learned i really want him to suffer and die. how about you?
    It's all that I really do want to know about him at this point. Eliminate him from society and make sure he doesn't come back.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

As in "dessert" not "desert"

And the POS that did the double murder at Wapiti shelter in VA is a free man today.
    Wolf, do you mean the guy Maryland just paroled? I think the problem is they were never able to put together a case against him on that one, even though everyone is "pretty sure" it was him.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterbuffalo View Post
    I read that a forest service worker wrote down his liscene plate so they know he was in the area at the time of the Florida case's occurance.

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    Wolf, do you mean the guy Maryland just paroled? I think the problem is they were never able to put together a case against him on that one, even though everyone is "pretty sure" it was him.
    No, this guy lived near Pearisburg and apparently is back living there. are you talking about the double murder suspect in the Shenandoahs?

As in "dessert" not "desert"

No, this guy lived near Pearisburg and apparently is back living there. are you talking about the double murder suspect in the Shenandoahs?
    I think so. I remember reading about a guy Maryland paroled a few months back, who was suspected in an AT murder, but he was never convicted of that. He was convicted of some other crime, and served about 20 years, I guess. I'll see if I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    It's all that I really do want to know about him at this point. Eliminate him from society and make sure he doesn't come back.
    perhaps learning as much as possible about him might help us eliminate others worthy of elimination before they do as much damage as hilton may be responsible for.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dab48eu View Post
    dab as a parent of 2 daughters (age 18 and 20) this is my worst nightmare and your story along with the events of the last few days just make me want to hug them and never let them go out . But, we all know that is not realistic. This must have been especially hurtful for you.

My heart goes out to you, I have no idea how that must hurt still to this day. Way to stay strong, you have my admiration.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Anyone wanting more info about Hilton and the case can
    go to 11alivenews.com which is an Atlanta news station.

Hilton had Meredith for three days in his van before beating her to
    death and decapitating her.

He made a deal with law enforecement to not seek the death penalty
    in return for cooperating and taking them to the scene.

Hopefully they will tie him to the other murders he is suspected of doing
    and give him the death penalty on one of those.

We still execute a criminal in Georgia every now and then.
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++