WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default DA may seek Death Penalty

Just read on Atlanta Constitution online that the DA says he was not part of the deal with Hilton to not seek the death penalty and that they may still seek the ultimate punishment

i say thats the best news ive heard since this whole ordeal started..

only wish georgia was one of the states that still hangs people..
    but ill take the chair or lethal injection..
    FREEWINDS.

Images

or they could let him loose on the trail and let us deal with him. Let him feel the terror he caused in other people's lives!
    can't never did

Pilgrim of Serendipity

Hmmm... have to think about that one...

I support the death penalty and this guy definitely appears to deserve it. I would not be at all sad if he got it.

On the other hand... the DA needs to give some thought to impact on future cases. Plea agreements work because criminals have a certain level of faith that the law will hold up its end of the bargain. No one likes to see a heinous criminal get off with a lighter punishment, but sometimes that's the only way to accomplish important goals (like finding a live victim or a victim's body, as in this case).

I'm sure Hilton's only motivation in leading them to Meredith's body was that he expected not to get the death penalty. Without that, it might have been months or years before she was found, and they might not have succeeded in convicting him of murder. The DA might not have been part of the deal, but Hilton probably didn't know that. The DA has to think about what will happen next time there's a case like this and they need to persuade a criminal to cooperate. If they're on the record as offering "fake" deals and then going back on it, they're not going to get cooperation.

It was authorities in Union Co. (kidnapping charge) that made the deal, but since the murder took place in Dawson Co. (murder) the prosecutor there, who was not present to make the deal, says he will consider death. I love loopholes.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post

I support the death penalty and this guy definitely appears to deserve it. I would not be at all sad if he got it.

On the other hand... the DA needs to give some thought to impact on future cases. Plea agreements work because criminals have a certain level of faith that the law will hold up its end of the bargain. No one likes to see a heinous criminal get off with a lighter punishment, but sometimes that's the only way to accomplish important goals (like finding a live victim or a victim's body, as in this case).

I'm sure Hilton's only motivation in leading them to Meredith's body was that he expected not to get the death penalty. Without that, it might have been months or years before she was found, and they might not have succeeded in convicting him of murder. The DA might not have been part of the deal, but Hilton probably didn't know that. The DA has to think about what will happen next time there's a case like this and they need to persuade a criminal to cooperate. If they're on the record as offering "fake" deals and then going back on it, they're not going to get cooperation.
    They would have found her a bit sooner. I understand it they were already looking extremely close to where she was found. Sure his cooperation made it faster. But I believe she would have been found nonetheless, pretty soon.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Default Conflicting reports

http://www.11alive.com/news/article_...storyid=109280

The man suspected of kidnapping and killing 24-year-old hiker Meredith Emerson told authorities that he held her captive for three days inside his van before taking her to the Dawson Forest Management Area on Friday and killing her, a source close to the investigation told 11Alive News Wednesday.

In exchange for information on the whereabouts of Emerson's body, authorities in Union County where Gary Hilton was charged with kidnapping agreed not to seek the death penalty against Hilton.

Hilton has since been moved to the Dawson County jail to face murder charges. Even though the no-death penalty deal was made in Union County, authorities in Dawson County told 11Alive's Kevin Rowson that they will honor it.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

i say thats the best news ive heard since this whole ordeal started..

only wish georgia was one of the states that still hangs people..
    but ill take the chair or lethal injection..
    Granted, this guy is a low life POS, but isn't there some irony in being elated about a person's possible death, in retaliation for a death that was so devastating? I'm just saying, what makes murder acceptable in some instances and not in others.

Heh, heh... that would be great. If that's the case, it's most likely he'll die in prison before he's executed but, just knowing may give hin nightmares.

However, if I'm not mistaken, one problem may be he'll be on death row and not in the genral population where his sentance could be carried out by a fellow inmate.

Quote Originally Posted by berninbush View Post
    The DA might not have been part of the deal, but Hilton probably didn't know that. The DA has to think about what will happen next time there's a case like this and they need to persuade a criminal to cooperate. If they're on the record as offering "fake" deals and then going back on it, they're not going to get cooperation.
    Yeah, you need to think about it. The Union County DA made the deal, they're not backing out, so it wasn't a fake deal. If the criminal isn't aware of his options, it's his lawyers fault.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertMTB View Post
    Just read on Atlanta Constitution online that the DA says he was not part of the deal with Hilton to not seek the death penalty and that they may still seek the ultimate punishment
    haha, no suprise there. Lawyers break deals like you and I break eggs

Images

This guy is going to die in prison, probably before they would ever get around to executing him. I say use the death penalty to force a life plea. If there is a trial, and an execution, that gives him too much face time on TV. The sooner this dirt bag fades into obscurity, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    http://www.11alive.com/news/article_...storyid=109280

The man suspected of kidnapping and killing 24-year-old hiker Meredith Emerson told authorities that he held her captive for three days inside his van before taking her to the Dawson Forest Management Area on Friday and killing her, a source close to the investigation told 11Alive News Wednesday.

In exchange for information on the whereabouts of Emerson's body, authorities in Union County where Gary Hilton was charged with kidnapping agreed not to seek the death penalty against Hilton.

Hilton has since been moved to the Dawson County jail to face murder charges. Even though the no-death penalty deal was made in Union County, authorities in Dawson County told 11Alive's Kevin Rowson that they will honor it.
    That is an older story. I wouldn't put much trust in info on TV news websites

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    Granted, this guy is a low life POS, but isn't there some irony in being elated about a person's possible death, in retaliation for a death that was so devastating? I'm just saying, what makes murder acceptable in some instances and not in others.
    You don't see the difference between a murder and a state execution?

60+ year old, white, small, weak men don't last very long in prison.

He'll be dead soon enough one way or another.

Images

I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess you don't vote Republican.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

huh? i'm very elated this POS will die soon. him being murdered is totally acceptable

Images

I see the difference. I guess it just seems odd that the death of anyone would give someone a reason to be happy.

Images

OSUBCS#1
    what makes murder acceptable in some instances and not in others.
    This probably needs to be in the political forum, But how can you begin to draw moral equivalency between murdering an unarmed innocent victim, and capital punishment.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++