WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: wear a KILT!!!!

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

Default wear a KILT!!!!

No, that's not a skirt I'm wearing in that picture w/the funny hat- its a Mountain Hardwear Hiking KILT[B]! I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for this great piece of gear!
    I bought my kilt at Neel's Gap and hardly took it off for 6 months.
    In fact, now that I am home shorts and pants feel almost restrictive.
    So there are a couple of good reasons to wear a Kilt as opposed to shorts. You can change clothes in front of anyone and not have to worry about finding some privacy. Its very easy to "take care of business" out in the woods. It reduces chafing, and on windy days on a ridge line it....well lets just say it makes "the boys" really happy.
    Now granted you do get some funny looks in town, but that just adds to the appeal. Most people think thruhikers (or hikers in general) are crazy so why not have fun with it?
    I know what you guys are thinking..."I am NOT wearing a skirt!"...
    well all I can say is don't knock it till you tried and believe me when I say that chicks dig it!
    The mtn hardwear kilt is pretty pricey, but it does last very well, mine has not a rip or tear in it after all those miles.
    I have also found another kilt website at www.sportkilts.com that has kilts for all occasions that come in actual tartans. I don't know much about them yet, but I am buying one and will let you know what I think when I get it.
    Anyway, just thought I would let all y'all know about some options instead of just following the main stream and wearing shorts.
    I know that I will NEVER hike in shorts again.
    so remember,
    life is good, WEAR A KILT!
    Trail Yeti
    ps-for the girls mtn hardwear makes a hiking skirt if you want...I heard some complaints that their kilt doesn't "fit" women since y'all are anatomically different.

Section Hiker 180 AT miles

ive been thinking about getting a kilt for a few years now. ive always wanted one it just seems so much easyer. i was even planing on being a scotsman for halloween just to wear a kilt. maybe ill get one. i mean hey id wear it all the time if i could, but i doubt thatd go over well with most people. im sure i could hiking though. ill see about it. thanks for the idea.
    "Do what you Love, Love what you do"

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default skirt. kilt, surong...

I saw a number of men out on the trail in skirts, kilts & batik wraps.

I myself wore a skirt 70% of the time. In actuallity it was a pair of Patagonia men's boxers with the crotch cut out. I loved the freedom of the skirt. I wore a dress as well but the skirt was more versitle.

Hammock Hanger
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Images

Have the same Mountain Hardwear kilt, LOVE it!
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

one descrepancy, it is www.sportkilt.com

Images

ooops! sorry about that. Cool site though.
    Also, a lawyer in a kilt...this I gotta see!! ha ha ah

yeah it really is a good site too, pretty good prices compared to everything else ive seen (unfortunately it still might be a bit high) although im not sure if im going to get a traditional kilt or a hiking kilt first. do you think one of those sport kilts would last on a trail?

Images

I don't know because I haven't seen one. I can tell you that the Outfitter at Harper's Ferry was selling kilts that looked similar to a sportkilt (the lady there had them made). I know a guy that bought one of these at Trail Days and he was still wearing it when I saw him in Baxter.
    The mtn hardwear does have pockets on it and I am sure the sporkilts don't....but if you don't want pockets then its not a big deal.
    I read the "testimonials" from sportkilts site and everyone seemed really happy w/them. They advertise them as perfect for the scottish athlete. If you have ever been to a scottish games festival some of the competitions are pretty rough...I would think they would hold up well.
    But don't hold me to that ....when I get one I will let you know.
    Trail Yeti
    ps- Early Riser you are to be commended on your vision in even thinking about wearing a kilt.... be different! Set your boys free!
    they will thank you for it!! ha ha ha
    pps-weasel, we should start a "hiking clan" for all the "kilted hikers" ha ha ha

Images

I must admit it sounds a little girly to hike in a kilt, but maybe I should try it.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

I personally have been thinking about buying a kilt and trying it. It would eliminate the rash I get from the shorts rubbing the inner part of my leg. I really like the idea. But the only downfall I see is letting the boys free as Trail Yeti calls it. I personally like the support. I like at least having an inner lining. Is it possible to maybe get a kilt with a lining in it? Does anyone know?

I don’t care about what that Macho Army guys say about it being girly. If it works don’t nock it is what I say.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Yea, I'm the macho Army guy, but Yeti is the Macho Marine that just hiked it to. And even though Weasel may be a lawyer, he looks like the burly hiker type.

Macho Hiker Clan Tartan. Take the green black and white from this forum for the weave.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

"Macho Hiker Clan Tartan"-that is classic!
    People couldn't believe I had just gotten out of the Marines w/my hair, beard and Kilt!! ha ha ha
    As for the lining....I don't know of any that come with a lining, but it would probably be pretty easy to put one in...use the lining from an old pair of running shorts or something.
    I didn't find "support" of the boys a problem...
    I only chafed in my kilt a couple of times. This was in high summer when the humidity was horrrendous... Even then I wasn't chafing against the kilt but against my own "equipment" if you get my drift.
    So what I did for this was buy some BODY GLIDE. Body Glide is this stuff triathletes use to make it easier to put on/take off wetsuits, and reduce chafing when wet etc etc... It works GREAT! It looks like a little deodarent stick and you just rub it on. I never chafed again when it was super hot.
    So even if you don't wear a kilt you should look into the bodyglide.
    life is good, WEAR A KILT!
    Trail Yeti
    ps- Rock, the boys back at Lejeune thought it was hilarious that I was hiking in a kilt!

yeah see id like pockets and all, i just dont want to spend a lot of money, and the mountain hardware kilts were almost fourty bucks more expensive. yeah it seems to me theyd hold up rather well. i also saw a part somwhere about hiking with a sportskilt and it seemed to be encouraged, so im sure it would be fine.
    the way i see it, wearing a kilt isnt a girlie thing, look at the greeks, they never wore pants. and i dont think anyones about to call Mel a girl. (or any of the scottsman in those highland games)

Images

Anyone who wants "support" for their genitals need only get a decent athletic supporter. Frankly, unless you're some kind of a perv and try to expose yourself, no one's going to notice much, and nearly everyone will be too tired to care anyhow.

A kilt with support? Damn. What will you Sassenachs come up with next? Ice in your malt? Heathens. Damn.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Well the sportkilt website sells sporrans to go w/their kilts. They even have a "sport sporran" which looks like a fanny pack to me....
    I didn't use the pockets on my mtn hardwear kilt except to stuff my data book in the side. the only other time was in town.
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

I was over at Victoria s Secret the other nite doing their annual inventory. They had some Bras that would probably fit some of you guys. Maybe I should post this in the gear section.
    Singletrack

Former Admin

Originally posted by Singletrack
    I was over at Victoria s Secret the other nite doing their annual inventory. They had some Bras that would probably fit some of you guys. Maybe I should post this in the gear section.
    Singletrack,

Are you refering to overweight fat ass big boobed hiker men?

Why not, if other men are wearing skirts, they might as well wear a bra to keep they're boobs from shaking around LOL

Heavy ones, please don't take this seriously, I'm a little over weight myself.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Adult site?

I suspected as much, we are becoming "adult"!
    ... I can't imagine why I felt so uncomfortable bringing up the "hiking naked" thread amongst this group. You have now moved on to even juicier topics like "men in drag", then quickly progressed to "women in men's underwear" and finally men shopping for women's undergarments. I can hardly wait for the next racy topic of discussion! Hell, is everyone "coming out of the closet" here and airing their fetishes? And I thought "hiking naked was controversial"!

Former Admin

I already came out of the closet this month in revealing my trail name.

Images

Yeah, yeah, yeah, trust me, you guys aren't coming up w/anything I haven't already heard...
    but since y'all think its so "girly" how about this for a fact.
    Of the 4 "Trail tail" couples this year....2 of the guys wore kilts, and 1 wore a skirt. I said earlier that CHICKS DIG IT, and I wasn't lying.
    so lets get this thread back on track huh?
    life is good, WEAR A
    KILT!!!
    Trail Yeti
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++