WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: wear a KILT!!!!

Images

Well, I think the 'sex thing' is getting a little carried away, and approaching being offensive, to be honest. If you think wearing a kilt is a "girly thing", and that it's somehow related to "sex", you belong at an adult video store and not on the Trail.

A kilt is merely the Scots variant of the age-old "wrap" that was commonly worn by men in a variety of cultures, from First Dynasty Egypt through much of Southeast Asia (the "sarong", for instance), as well as Greece and Latin Europe; the word "kilt" is, in fact of Scandinavian origin. In Scotland - where much of my family comes from - they were functional in a variety of ways. Of wool, and generally a length below the knee, they were warm, easily made (once the weaving was done), and, by their pattern, at least in "formal" kilts, a way of describing the clan one belonged to. They could be used as a blanket at night, and were comfortable and less likely to be 'soiled' than were pants, in an era where undergarments were simply uncommon for any but the noble classes. Men wore them because they were what men wore. In much of rural Scotland today, a kilt is not uncommon, simply because it is practical clothing for those who work out-of-doors. One of the most hated edicts of the still-loathed English was, in the 1700s, to forbid the wearing of clan patterns, or "tartans". Not only did this seek to destroy family strengths - a source of opposition to English domination - but it had a practical effect, as well: Rough wool isn't suitable for pants, as most men know, but cotton IS. English cotton mills found a very nice new source of business in selling cotton clothing to the Scots and, conversely from wool, cotton doesn't function well as a kilting material in a damp climate such as Scotland. ("Cotton kills" was known then, as well as it is now on the AT.) But cotton DOES hold some warmth value when made as pants. So English cotton mill owners thought the prohibition against tartans to be a VERY useful "marketing" technique. So to those who think a kilt is a "girly thing", I suppose my Scots heritage says, "Ach, ye Sassenach just love to prove your money-grubbing colonial prejudices, don't ye?" Neither is true. So let's drop the insults, cute or otherwise.

Functionally, I find a kilt to be good trail clothing from Spring through early fall: My primary one is a Mountain Hardwear kilt, because I like the styling, but I have used simple wool sheets, 36" wide by about 4'long, and wrap it towel-fashion around me and secure it with (yes, it's the best way, probably because it's the SCOTS way!) a large safety pin at the top and half way down. I don't like pockets much in my other clothing, since I always seem to lose things from going in and out of them as I walk, so I just use a small pouch on one shoulder strap of my pack; a sporran would be uncomfortable for serious walking. The kilt minimizes upper thigh sweating, due to the increased ventilation, while minimizes chafing for me, which - given my size - is a serious problem and one I almost never have when I'm wearing a kilt. It's also more comfortable, once I get used to it - about a day of transition.

Against the question - which is as invasive for me as it would be if one asked (or wondered) about a woman - whether I wear underwear, I will say that there are two schools of thought, and that there is no need to be exclusively one or the other: One school, for wearing, is that one can keep a bit cleaner, and there is less risk of accidental exposure. The other, for not wearing, is that it saves a bit of weight, it's more comfortable, and a "short kilt" that exposes genitals is as inappropriate on the trail for a man as a miniskirt is as for a woman (which is why you don't see them), as well as the fact that cleanliness is not a hard thing to maintain if one cares about oneself.

You can agree, or you can disagree. But hey, Rock! Still sounds a little girly to you? Did you see "Gladiator"? Sergeants - and generals -like YOU conquered pretty damn much the entire Western world - from Britain to Persia, Germany to Egypt with "that girly look".

I like my kilt.
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

I'm not worried about appealing to women on the trail, the point is mute on that one Yeti. If she sees me in a kilt and hears about this my hiking privledges will be revoked.

As to hiking in a kilt, I'm open to it. I learned a long time ago, if it looks stupid but works, then it isn't stupid.

If Gladiators are so tough, why are they all dead.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Rock ---

I'd rephrase that: If the Romans WEREN'T so tough, why is most of Western Civilization really modernized Roman culture? Do you know where the name "Germany" comes from? Look this up - I dare you! - and you'll see why some of the Latin-based languages including - gasp! - English call it "Germany" in slightly different ways, while "Germans" call it "Deutschland"). Latin is the source of most Western languages (French and Spanish aren't really languages, some scholars agree, but simply dialects of Latin) and even forms of government west of the Urals (quick! Who was the last Caesar to rule? Answer: KAISER Wilhelm of GERMANY. Who was the second-to-the-last? TSAR Nicholas. When did the Roman Empire end? In 1918, when the last Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire abdicated the throne of Austria). Most large English (but not Scots!) cities were named by the Roman armies ("chester" and "caster" mean "army camps... Rochester, Manchester, Lancaster, and so on). The list goes on...

Not bad for a lot of "dead gladiators" wearing "skirts"? Ah, the value of kilts! Today, the AT! Tomorrow, the world!

Besides, Rock...don't you feel a little "girly" wearing a beret? (OUCH! No hitting in the face! OK, I'm sorry! But I couldn't resist!)

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

LOL, good point. I'll wear the Macho Hiker Tartan and my beret. Hey, did't some of those highlanders wear berets too?

BTW, I just saw a promo for some new Samuel L. Jackson blockbuster shoot 'em up, he was wearing a kilt.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

The Scots cap is called a "Tam O'Shanter" and looks like a beret, somewhat. But nicer, as in so many things that are Scottish.

Images

The real reason that Scots wear kilts is because sheep can hear a zipper a mile away!

Images

Lugnut is very correct. The affinity of Scots for their sheep is one of the reasons there are so many Englishmen.

The Weasel

Images

Man Russ, kinda tough on the Brits!

Images

Nah, laddie. It accounts for their gentle disposition (the sheep) until provoked (the Scots!). And it makes the sheep happy.

The Weasel

GA-ME 02 Kilted Hiker Trail Yeti's Avatar
    Images

WOW!!! I didn't think this thread was gonna take off like it has!!!
    So for a little more history....
    The Irish were also known for wearing kilts in days long ago, the difference being that they were not in tartan..they were usually shades of brown and grey.
    Also Weasel, when you were recounting your "historical references" you forgot the SPARTANS!!! Not sure you would call what they wore a kilt, but it WAS similar. And if the those guys weren't the toughest sob's I don't know who was (read "Gates of Fire" by steven pressfield, excellent book).
    As for the "chicks digging it". Well, I mainly put that in there for the young single guys. However, just cause you are married (or involved) doesn't mean you are dead, you still can look good for the ladies. Also, you don't have to be scottish, Irish, scotchirish etc to wear a kilt (although we do look better in them than anyone else)
    they are just cool (in more ways than one).
    anyway, I am thrilled that my thread has fueled such interesting conversation and debate....
    life is good, let em hang and WEAR A KILT!!!
    Trail Yeti
    oh yeah, one more thing. You will accidentally "flash your dirty bubble gum" if you wear a kilt the proper way. Its inevitable. Hikers understand and if you are careful, it rarely happens. I for one got caught a couple of times, but my girlfriend was always "on the watch" and would warn me if I was about to "reveal my innermost secrets" (why was she looking down there I wonder? ).
    and another thing- it makes it REALLY EASY to "moon the cog" on Mt Washington ....not that I would know ANYTHING about that...(I hate coal!!)
    "Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit"- Ed Abbey

Images

Default forgot something else

Weasel, good job w/your rebuttal!!!
    and guys, haven't you learned by now that arguing with a lawyer is like hitting your head against a wall? You are not gonna win, the most you can hope for is a draw! LOL

Images

There are no "draws". Arguing with a lawyer is a lot like wrasslin' with a pig. When it's all over, even if you win, you're gonna be covered with manure, and the pig's gonna have had a pretty good time!

As for the Spartans, they were Greeks, unless you're referring the Michigan State University (in my home state), which is not Greek, but Drunk.

The Irish have clan plaid as well, as do most of the Celts (of which the Scots are the other dominant group in Britain). "Working kilts" are generally not the same as "dress plaid", although they may have the same pattern. They're usually a dark tan or brown instead of deep green.

Those who follow my philosophy (borrowed liberally from Ray Jardine) of "ultralight" backpacking, will recall that I prefer every piece of gear to have at least 2 uses (a bandana is the best example of this). That includes clothing, which is why I like my wool "home made" kilt the best, since it is a bit larger and lower in the leg. It's not that it doesn't show off my otherwise uninteresting body, but that I can use it as a shawl when sitting in my sleeping bag and many other uses.

The Weasel

Images

Ok, I reread your post, I didn't catch the reference to the Greeks.
    I am Irish as can be and didn't know that Irish had clan plaids....any idea where I could get a glimpse of the patterns/colors?
    And for general info...there is a SOBO this year, I think his name is Strider that uses a "authentic" wool kilt like you use yours weasel.

Images

A brief search in Google for this inquiry:

"irish tartan" pattern

gave me several results. This one has Irish County tartans:

http://www.irishtartans.com/longford.html

The Weasel

Images

This site has Irish county tartans and some family ones, although the actual patterns don't seem to be shown.

Images

I did a little investigating on this since my grandmother's family is Scottish (wayyyy back) and was able to track the family name Bird (not Byrd) back to the affiliation with Aberdeen, Edinburgh - then see the tartan for that area.

Something interesting is that the Marines also have a Tartan according to that site.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I think this whole kilt thing is crap. I'd hike naked before I'd wear a damn kilt. UUHHHHH

Images

I've got pictures of you in a kilt buddy....so don't you be talking no crap! lol

GA-ME 3/5/02 -8/14/02
    Images

Default packwrap

The Mountain hardwear equivalent of the kilt for females is the pack-wrap...I bought mine in Daleville and wore it (combined with lots of body glide...one of the unsung secrets for trail chafe) for the remainder of the trip. It was nice to feel like a girl on the trail after feeling so disgusting all the time, and it washed and wore easily...
    "It's a dangerous business, going out your door...if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."-The Hobbit

Images

What about ticks and mosquitos when wearing a kilt?????

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++