WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default What do you think about trailphone.net

http://trailphone.net/

Surfing and I found this... I am sure I have never seen it. What do you think about it. I am sure I would listen to some audio journals!

I emailed them to see if they are still active.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I would definately use that website--then I wouldn't have to actually talk to my family.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I am considering using it for my thru, have not decided though.

Kirby

Default Quite Amazing and Appealing!

My initial response is WOW! Sure would save a LOT of typing, writing, journaling, etc. It would provide a way to use more personal expression and description verbally, for those of us (ME) who are not talented with the written word.

On the downside, you wouldn't have a hard copy at the end of your hike, unless you do both. Another thing is---for those very few with dial-up-the download speed is S_L_O_W!

Seems like it could have lots of other possible applications, too.

I think it is a great idea. It will be interesting to see if it flies.

Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

I also was looking at the site a few days ago. I also noted the owner had announced the site here on whiteblaze last year. Had I known about it I may have used it on my Thru last year.

Radar

Working on Forestry Grad schol

It looks like it's gone mostly unused. I also wish that I had known about it earlier.

Pretty cool. is that from the same guy that makes the Varga stove? (Says Adam on the website)

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I would definately use that website--then I wouldn't have to actually talk to my family.
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...2&cii_nRGID=-1

about 2 ounces, including batteries

Costs $49.99

will record 23 hours of good quality talking (well, quality of the words is up to you - I meant the sound quality )

has built in USB. plug into a computer and send the voice files you've created over the last few days as email attachments.

delete the files on the digital recorder and start again.

Also useful for group photos. When you take a shot with a bunch of people, recite their names left to right (or have them speak their name), and then when you caption the photo when you get home.
    Frosty

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    That IS a distinct advantage... But, you may spend more time explaining how to access these updates to your non-computer literate Mom that actually doing a quick phone call. Not that I know from personal experience...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

wow, I would be interested in it for the cdt next year. What great idea. On the other hand i am not a techy... i repeat NOT !

There's no wrong way to eat a Rhesus! Monkeyboy's Avatar

Its great if you have a lot of people you would like to keep up to date on your journey....instead of twenty phone calls to state the same info, one phone call from any telephone (no computer necessary) and you are done.

Definately worth using.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...2&cii_nRGID=-1

about 2 ounces, including batteries

Costs $49.99

will record 23 hours of good quality talking (well, quality of the words is up to you - I meant the sound quality )

has built in USB. plug into a computer and send the voice files you've created over the last few days as email attachments.

delete the files on the digital recorder and start again.

Also useful for group photos. When you take a shot with a bunch of people, recite their names left to right (or have them speak their name), and then when you caption the photo when you get home.

Is this thing Mac friendly? We're in the market for a digital voice recorder right now. Does it export to some proprietary file type, or something like a wma/mp3 through any USB connection like an ordinary flash drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Maiden View Post

On the downside, you wouldn't have a hard copy at the end of your hike, unless you do both. Another thing is---for those very few with dial-up-the download speed is S_L_O_W!
    There's a service (free) called Jott (http://www.jott.com). You set up an account from your cell phone. Then I think you have to call once to finish the set-up. When you get everything set up, you call the Jott number, and it asks who you want to Jott (an individual or your mom or whoever, it's someone *you* have set up). You say "Mom" (or whoever you want to Jott), and then it prompts you to start talking. You get 30 seconds, if I remember right. Then it TRANSCRIBES what you said, pretty darn accurately, too, and sends it to that e-mail address or addresses. It only handles a short message, but it can let you send a note to a group of people quickly, and fairly accurately. It even helps by not including "um, um, um, um's." It's pretty neat. I'm not sure what they're up to, or why it's fee, but it is. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that they're working on some wonder-voice-transcription-program, and need lots of testers. As long as your updates are fairly short, I would think this would be pretty nice.

Beth

Default TrailPhone.net is still up and running.

Hi. I saw this thread and just wanted to chime in quickly. I'm the guy who created TrailPhone.net.

Last year, I launched late in the hiking season and didn't have the opportunity to properly get the word out. Since then, development for TrailPhone.net has fell by the wayside, due to other work obligations... BUT the site is still totally up and running. I plan on adding a few more features and making a few more fixes real soon.

Briefly, TrailPhone.net is a 100% FREE phone service for hikers. It works like this: 1)
    1. You call 877-99-TRAIL
    2. You punch in your mile mark number
    3. You record an audio entry
    4. Your entry magically appear online (and is even mapped). All your friends and family members magically get an email to tell them you recorded a new audio entry.
    Doctor Space Monkey 5000 (adamvarga.com / @varga)
    AT NOBO 2004
    CT NOBO 2009

TrailPhone.net - Free Audio Journals for Appalachian Trail Hikers

Wow, I've never heard of that, I've bookmarked it and will definitely keep it in mind when I go, hopefully in 2010. I hope others start to use it more because I would be interested in hearing about their experiences and adventures. Sounds like a great service!

What you do is get yourself a 2oz Creative MuVo1000 and it can hold something like 60 or 70 hours at a time on a 2gb. It has a built in mic thats pretty good and pretty clear. Very simple to use also. Another great thing about the Muvo100 is that there is no usb ports, the usb is actually built right into the player at the same time. Its basically an MP3 player with a microphone. I have it and have no complaints about it.

Images

Looks like a cool idea.

++ New Posts ++