WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Please post good camping sites between shelters

I plan on hiking the park S to N in April. I would like to break up some long days by tenting between shelters. Anyone have info on legal sites along the trail where I could go. As a last resort, any info on "stealth sites" ? Thanks

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

deleted
    Last edited by Freeleo; 01-15-2008 at 11:01. Reason: not paying attention

As in "dessert" not "desert"

He put this under SNP forum, so I would guess SNP?

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Well, I can only suggest that you don't camp in picnic areas. A few of us did, and we ended up getting a late-night visit from a park ranger who wasn't pleased to see us. (surprisingly, he let us stay, but he warned us that we'd be booted from the park if we got caught camping illegally again)

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I plan on hiking the park S to N in April. I would like to break up some long days by tenting between shelters. Anyone have info on legal sites along the trail where I could go. As a last resort, any info on "stealth sites" ? Thanks
    http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

Can't vouch for the legality of it but you'll find a nice little site up at Mary's Rock, if you scrounge a little. Plus, I spent a night at "Dundo Group Campground." I was the only person there. A bunch of deer came to visit... annoying little buggers... spent the evening shooing them away.

Images

[quote=L. Wolf;501772]http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm[/quoteI want one of those beer kegs....whoops....that's bear kegs......damit!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Well, I can only suggest that you don't camp in picnic areas. A few of us did, and we ended up getting a late-night visit from a park ranger who wasn't pleased to see us. (surprisingly, he let us stay, but he warned us that we'd be booted from the park if we got caught camping illegally again)
    Boy that was lucky! They like to slap fines.

Problem with SNP and camping is that its on a ridge, so good spots are sometimes hard to find. I know people have done stealthing and I have seen some caught and had to pay fines. Check the park regs on camping and have maps handy to help you find areas.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

SNP appeared to me to be highly camp-able, as far as the terrain goes. But I didn't, except for the one night at Mary's Rock, mostly cuz I would have been camping alone and really didn't want any nocturnal bear visits. I had company that night on Mary's Rock.

I like to camp halfway. Half way between one place I shouldn't and another place I shouldn't. Like halfway up a hill, or halfway into the woods. My favourite place is halfway between where I had supper and where I would like to have breakfast.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Camping in Shenandoah

Even camping in shelters is considered "backcountry" in Shenandoah, so you will need a (free) backcountry permit for any night you stay there.
    www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm
    If you make a reasonable assessment of how far you will hike each day, you can get a permit for each night without specifying exactly where you intend to stay. Then, as long as you don't camp in prohibited areas or "too" close to the trail, your backcountry permit will allow you to camp just about anywhere you want to stop.
    Or you can camp in the designated campsites
    www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm
    some of which will be open in April.

Thanks to all. Mary's Rock idea is what I am looking for. As long as I am 20 yds from the trail, and by the map it looks like it is 1/4 mi from the pkwy, I should not get hassled. Any others have any knowledge further South in the park?

Don't camp anywhere where a bear could trap you, say on the edge of a cliff. Lots of bears there.

Or perhaps in a three sided shelter???

As a rule you can pitch your tent anywhere along the AT unless otherwise posted. They stress that you camp in low impact or areas where a previous campsite is. You won't have any trouble finding campsites between shelter all the way to Virginia. They are plentifull.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Don't camp anywhere where a bear could trap you, say on the edge of a cliff. Lots of bears there.
    Huh? Bears are trapping hikers in the SNP these days? I never new. Yeah, make sure you're in a spot where you'll be able to out run the SOB's.

i pick up my .44 mag in my maildrop in Waynesboro before entering the park for that reason. i'm not running. i'm shooting

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post

The link Lone Wolf posted should be required reading for those who camp in the SNP backcountry.

Without being too specific, rest assured there are sites in between each overnight hut where you can legally camp. Some are near water, others are dry and you'll have to carry water from somewhere south of them.

These kinds of campsites are mostly "obvious" to the alert hiker. But they are not typically publicized in guidebooks or on the internet, because to do so would invite over-use. Besides, self-discovery and self-sufficiency are two of the better delights of long distance backpacking.

There is a list of some of these sites available to clients of Mountain & Valley Shuttle Service, handed out upon request during a paid shuttle. Even then, details are not real specific. Clients are pointed in the right general direction, where they can discover a site or sites for themselves. (A spreadsheet of SNP water sources along the AT—more specific than the stealth site handouts—is also available to clients.) For more info: www.mvshuttle.com.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Huh? Bears are trapping hikers in the SNP these days? I never new. Yeah, make sure you're in a spot where you'll be able to out run the SOB's.

LOL. First time I read that I thought I saw "outrun the SOBOs." Now that would be funny!

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i pick up my .44 mag in my maildrop in Waynesboro before entering the park for that reason. i'm not running. i'm shooting
    That's probably good advice for everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++