WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default Still need response on Pearisburg question

Someone surely knows the AT just south of Pearisburg VA. We are planing a short hike from VA 606 to Pearisburg and need advice. 1) Has any one stopped at the Honey springs Picnic area 0.1 Mile off the AT on the Ribble trail 12 miles south of Pearisburg? Info on water and possible campsite? 2) Doc's Knob shelter, good camping near it? 3) Trail conditions through this section? Rocky? Steep? Any other impressions? Thanks, I've posted this question 3 times now and have not gotten any resposes. Please help. Thanks, Early Riser.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

This is fairly easy trail, not steep, occasionally rocky; there are sections that'll slow you down a bit as you have to watch where you put your feet. There are a few OK but not spectacular campsites adjacent to Doc's Knob shelter, but I'd try and go a bit further; as you approach Angel's Rest, there are all sorts of great places to pitch a tent.

Okay, I'll answer . . . but don't call me Shirley.

1. No help, here. I've only walked the Ribble once, and don't remember this picnic area. If this is supposed to be a water source at the top of the ridge, I'd suspect it's dry now.

2. Jack's right. There's a flat spot 100 feet north of the shelter big enough for one or two tents, but it's not a dreamy campsite. Also, the Doc's Knob spring is one of the first to dry up every year. It was low when I went through in May this year.

3. The jump-up from Wapiti Shelter (which had a strong stream running in May when darn near every other source was mud, by the way) to the top of Pearis Mtn. is a little stiff if you are an out-of-shape section hiker like me. It's also rockier than other parts of Virginia, which means only a little swearing.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

++ New Posts ++