WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Staying safe on the trail - from a different perspective...

I was going back reading some old threads today, and a couple years ago SGT Rock had started a discussion about being mistakenly perceived as being dangerous because of his appearance.

With all the bad press the AT has got recently over Hilton, and recent talk about carrying defensive weapons this year, how many of you are worried about all the other first-timer AT hikers out there packing heat, and staring you down from up the trail as you approach them with full beard and long nasty hair? And could you imagine two inexperienced hikers getting paranoid over each other and pulling out weapons?

Its definately gonna feel alot stranger on trails down here in GA this year.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Images

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxb3 View Post
    I was going back reading some old threads today, and a couple years ago SGT Rock had started a discussion about being mistakenly perceived as being dangerous because of his appearance.

With all the bad press the AT has got recently over Hilton, and recent talk about carrying defensive weapons this year, how many of you are worried about all the other first-timer AT hikers out there packing heat, and staring you down from up the trail as you approach them with full beard and long nasty hair? And could you imagine two inexperienced hikers getting paranoid over each other and pulling out weapons?

Its definately gonna feel alot stranger on trails down here in GA this year.
    Hopefully, all of the paranoid people will load their weapons, lock their doors, and stay home!

I honestly can't picture a legal firearm carrier just whipping it out at the slightest provocation.

kicking around ideas for the next adventure 1Pint's Avatar
    Images

Default Expect a safer 2008.

I anticipate feeling SAFER this year on the trail.

I think everyone is going to be looking out for each other even more than before and I anticipate that there will a lot of love and caring for other hikers sharing the trail.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it until proven differently.

Happy hiking all!

1Pint/Laura
    "It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." Train

Images

The trail is a great place and while hearts are certainly heavier for Meredith, it will ultimately have relatively little effect on the thru-hiker community. People will head out, some will falter, others will press on, and nearly all will develop positive bonds as a tribe forms and heads north.

I doubt there will be any more hikers carrying weapons than have done so in the past, and highly doubt one would be used (or even seen) in any thing shy of a true life and death situation.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 1Pint View Post
    I anticipate feeling SAFER this year on the trail.
    I think everyone is going to be looking out for each other even more than before and I anticipate that there will a lot of love and caring for other hikers sharing the trail.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it until proven differently.
    Happy hiking all!
    1Pint/Laura
    I think you've hit the nail on the head, 1Pint. The hiking community DOES know how to "close ranks" and look out for its own. I've seen this reaction after several crimes took place, but I've never seen an increase in the number of folks brandishing firearms.

Just use common sense (good trail sense), and listen to your gut feelings about others.

Images

Don't wear flowerdy Hawaiian shirts.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Not too worried. But if I do any LD hiking at all this year, it's going to be on the PCT, and many months from now. I suspect the "trail community" will take this tragedy in stride, as it were.

I hear the Rangers at Amicalola Falls will be handing out Nunchucks and giving a three day seminar in the art of AssKickADo.

So, for the sake of being safe, all new hikers make sure you do the Approach Trail this year.

Images

Chink Chink Pow works good.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Am I Doomed?

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Don't wear flowerdy Hawaiian shirts.
    Rats. I guess I am doomed because this is my trail shirt:

http://www.railriders.com/eco-mesh-s...?cPath=104_111

It is the Aloha Print design of the Eco-mesh RailRider shirt and I am used to it & kind of fond of it. The blue & green pattern even matches my olive green trail shorts.

Images

i love hawaiian shirts! they are very "stealth"!!!

Images

It was Hawaiian shirts what got me into that fix.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    The trail is a great place and while hearts are certainly heavier for Meredith, it will ultimately have relatively little effect on the thru-hiker community. People will head out, some will falter, others will press on, and nearly all will develop positive bonds as a tribe forms and heads north.

I doubt there will be any more hikers carrying weapons than have done so in the past, and highly doubt one would be used (or even seen) in any thing shy of a true life and death situation.
    A voice of reason.

Journal Entries
    Images

While I think that the AT is relatively safe I think we need to not allow ourselves to grow complacent. The attitude, "it will never happen to me" is part of this. I think it is healthy to be careful, sort of check out other hikers, make friends of other hikers, communicate. But to numbly go on hiking, not being alert, not aware of our enviroment is asking for a repeat. -SunnyWalker
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

It's still safe, maybe safer. I got stopped on the 14th by a Polk County Sherriff Deputy for looking like a crazy person.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    I honestly can't picture a legal firearm carrier just whipping it out at the slightest provocation.
    Ditto. Now we are in the strange state of things where people are afraid of afraid people afraid of the afraid. . . etc. . . .

The real deal is that people who carry guns are no more fearful than those who don't. It's just a matter of how much preparedness people think they need, and the comfort level with guns already existent, and the laws, etc.

Strange that some people will be more afraid of law abiding folks carrying guns than they will be of a Gary Hilton type.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    It's still safe, maybe safer. I got stopped on the 14th by a Polk County Sherriff Deputy for looking like a crazy person.
    How is it safer? He let you go.

[quote=dessertrat;503621Strange that some people will be more afraid of law abiding folks carrying guns than they will be of a Gary Hilton type.[/quote]

Or you could turn that around and say... it's not the guns that amaze us, so much as the fear that compels folks to desire them.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++