WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Freezer Bag Lipton Sides

Ok, I give up. I've tried to freezer bag cook these things with the wide noodles and had no success. I've used the amount of water they call for and it makes soup. I've halfed the water and it has the right consistency but tastes half cooked. Can these be done with feezer bag and cozy? I've left them for as long as 23 min. in the cozy.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Follow the directions on the package.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly Normal View Post
    Follow the directions on the package.
    Where on the package did they make mention of a freezer bag and cozy?

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Ok, I give up. I've tried to freezer bag cook these things with the wide noodles and had no success. I've used the amount of water they call for and it makes soup. I've halfed the water and it has the right consistency but tastes half cooked. Can these be done with feezer bag and cozy? I've left them for as long as 23 min. in the cozy.

I've had the same problems as you. Can't get those noodle mixes to cook using the freezer bag method.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

The following is what I do / recommend for Lipton's/Knorr Sides:

1. use 1.5 cups of water to 1.75 cups of water
    2. use a cozy that really holds the heat - I use one made of an old army CCF pad that works well
    3. always put a good slug of olive oil in just before adding the hot water
    4. always stir will after adding hot water
    5. wait about 22 minutes for noodle dishes and about 30 minutes for rice dishes with the cozy closed up

Images

Can't cook a Lipton Side Dish in a freezer bag???
    Some of us have been doing it for more than a decade.....

If it is easier, forget the freezer bag. Place the Lipton Side Dishes pouch between 2 rocks or something else that will hold it in place, Rip the top off and Dump 1.5 cups of boiling water right into the Aluminized pouch and stir gently to get the powder out of the bottom cracks. Clip the top together for 8-12 minutes and then eat it.
    If you are using older bags with a few pinholes, then dump it into a freezer bag. and follow the above.

If you are still having problems then give up and get off the trail cuz you 're either obviously a metrosexual who demands the finer things or you're a halfass..
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Default ???

I'm sorry......have we all not heard of POTS????!!!!!! We cooked ours in a POT and ate from the POT. Kept them hot and cooked them exactly like the package SAYS to cook them! You won't carry a POT that has to be cleaned but you WILL carry multiple freezer bags that have to be disposed of????? And in case you haven't noticed, those bags are meant to be filled with a food, sealed up and then dunked into a POT of boiling water - - not to be used INSTEAD of a POT!
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by DSoTM View Post

If it is easier, forget the freezer bag. Place the Lipton Side Dishes pouch between 2 rocks or something else that will hold it in place, Rip the top off and Dump 1.5 cups of boiling water right into the Aluminized pouch and stir gently to get the powder out of the bottom cracks. Clip the top together for 8-12 minutes and then eat it.
    If you are using older bags with a few pinholes, then dump it into a freezer bag. and follow the above.

If you are still having problems then give up and get off the trail cuz you 're either obviously a metrosexual who demands the finer things or you're a halfass..

Maybe halfasses like yourself like eating half cooked food, (see the symmetry there) but using your method definitely wont fully cook the noodles.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Freezer Bag Method

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    I've had the same problems as you. Can't get those noodle mixes to cook using the freezer bag method.
    Me too!!

I tried it but it usually came out half cooked. So, I gave it up. I thought that a cozy and freezer bags were just not worth the effort for my simple evening (or morning) meal. Plus I didnt want to haul around the used freezer bags after I ate out of them. At least for me, the simpler cooking and eating out of my small MSR kettle was much easier-and tastier

I heat up more water than I need, then measure out the amount I want for my noodles and put it in the bag. Mix it up and then put the bag back into the pot with what is left of the hot water. I might heat the water in the pot one more time while the noodles are cooking. they always seemed cooked to me. BTW always use freezer bags, they're stronger.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    Me too!!

I tried it but it usually came out half cooked. So, I gave it up. I thought that a cozy and freezer bags were just not worth the effort for my simple evening (or morning) meal. Plus I didnt want to haul around the used freezer bags after I ate out of them. At least for me, the simpler cooking and eating out of my small MSR kettle was much easier-and tastier
    Agreed! Personally, I'd rather carry an extra fuel canister at +/- 6 oz. and have the flexibility to cook as well as boil water.

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

Wow, glad I didn't ask the question! LOL

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Trangia

Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    Agreed! Personally, I'd rather carry an extra fuel canister at +/- 6 oz. and have the flexibility to cook as well as boil water.
    That is one way. Having an alcohol stove that simmers so as not to have to lug around freezer bags and cozy was one of the reasons I decided to go back to my trusty 'ole trangia. The minuscule amount of alcohol it consumed simmering seemed, for me at least, to 'underweigh' the need for the freezer bag stuff already mentioned. Plus I kind of enjoy lounging around and 'cooking' my mixture of whatever.

Images

f you are still having problems then give up and get off the trail cuz you 're either obviously a metrosexual who demands the finer things or you're a halfass..
    Who died and made you the judge of who is what and what is right? What made you feel that you had to respond to this post at all. I asked if folks had a solution to a problem that I was experiencing. Some were kind enough to offer suggestions...then there were the jackasses like yourself that just want to criticise and be a jerk. I could care less what you think about me cause you're obviously someone that I don't care to be around anyway.

Go take a hike...alone.

I've cooked them on the trail and had no problems. Of course, I was so hungry I don't think I'd have noticed if they weren't perfectly cooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I'm sorry......have we all not heard of POTS????!!!!!! We cooked ours in a POT and ate from the POT. Kept them hot and cooked them exactly like the package SAYS to cook them! You won't carry a POT that has to be cleaned but you WILL carry multiple freezer bags that have to be disposed of????? And in case you haven't noticed, those bags are meant to be filled with a food, sealed up and then dunked into a POT of boiling water - - not to be used INSTEAD of a POT!
    Huh? Freezer bags are freezer bags. If you are talking about simmering bags of food in water you are thinking of items like Food Vac and Seal A Meal Bags. This is not the same thing.

As for Lipton side dishes, sure I know people who do it. It works for them. Do I do it? No. For a fraction of the cost I can make my own version with a 1/4 of the sodium

As for carrying multiple bags out, well, unless you pack all your food in cloth or paper bags pot cookers do this as well. Nearly everyone I have ever seen cooking in the backcountry uses bags to carry food in. Some of us also happen to eat out of them as well. Dual purpose in a sense.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Dude, what's up with the attack when the man just asked a question? No need to get nasty about it. Just answer his question and move on. Name calling and putting someone down just because they do something different than you is just plain wrong. Get a grip man.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Last edited by envirodiver; 01-17-2008 at 12:48.

Images

I simply can't do freezer bag cooking. I must be sensitive to the plastic, cause I can taste it in my food. YUCK! I do use an alcohol stove. I add the noodles to the water, in my pot, then bring it to a boil. I leave it till I run out of fuel, then put the whole pot, with lid, in my cozy that I made just for that pot. Works every time. Rice dishes take a little longer than noodle dishes.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    I've cooked them on the trail and had no problems. Of course, I was so hungry I don't think I'd have noticed if they weren't perfectly cooked.
    I'm the same way. Actually I started liking pasty noodles.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++