WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Cheapest Tarp?

Images

Default Cheapest Tarp?

I am pretty unsatisfied with my stock hennessy tarp. If there's any rain, it offers virtually no protection, let alone comfortable room to sit under/cook under.

What's the cheapest tarp worth getting? I like the JRB Cat cut and MacCat, but not the price tag associated with them. Can I go under $100 for a tarp with that kind of coverage and lightweight?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bredler View Post
    I am pretty unsatisfied with my stock hennessy tarp. If there's any rain, it offers virtually no protection, let alone comfortable room to sit under/cook under.

What's the cheapest tarp worth getting? I like the JRB Cat cut and MacCat, but not the price tag associated with them. Can I go under $100 for a tarp with that kind of coverage and lightweight?
    Have you given any consideration to a Speer Cat Cut Tarp? The cat cut tarp is $99 and his quality and customer service are absolutely first rate.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

You really can't go wrong with the MacCat Deluxe or the new JRB 11x10 Cat. Both have excellent coverage and awesome quality. The are well worth the price and in no way overpriced for what you get.

You may be lucky to find a slightly used MacCat for sale, I was. I was able to get one, used once, for $65.

- JT
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Images

Guide gear is the cheapest - Comes in Camo for Stealth.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Well, if you want cheap(er) and good there's really only one solution that's reliable; make your own. I will say that tarps, even cat cut ones, are relatively easy projects. I notice you asked this question over on Hammockforums too, so I'm sure you getting the same answer from a lot of folks there. Check out BlackBishop's "Black your own Cat!" site for the best instructions out there on making a cat cut tarp, including a nifty Excel file for automatically calculating and laying out the cat cuts. I'll be making mine as soon as I can afford the "fabric" I really want to make it from...Cuben. I'm going not just for more coverage but seriously lighter weight while I'm at it (by my calculations, I should be able to get a tarp somewhere between a MacCat standard and deluxe in size for about 4.5oz, including lines and no-see-um skins, which is a 4.25oz weight savings over the original HH tarp.)
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Campmor has a cheaper silnylon tarp.....

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I have a 10' x 12' silnylon tarp - $85 from Campmor - excellent coverage and performance - weights 19 ozs. They also come in 8' x 10'

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I have a 10' x 12' silnylon tarp - $85 from Campmor - excellent coverage and performance - weights 19 ozs. They also come in 8' x 10'
    I have used the 8X10 with my hammock and it was fine. I had issues with my first hammock, a Byer, but that was due to the line configuration. I think you might want to consider though something cut a little better if it is to serve a more dedicated role to your hammock.

Making a cat cut is one of three projects I'd like to get to with the sewing machine.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by DSoTM View Post
    Guide gear is the cheapest - Comes in Camo for Stealth.
    They no longer stock the camo versions we've all been acustomed to. They only carry a white version now and for how long who knows. but every once in a while you see someone post one for sale so keep your eyes open.
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Images

i bought a tarp from a hardware store in damascus for less than five bucks at the hardware store about 6'x9'. worked good enough for the next 4-5 months.
    hey hey, my my

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sloopjonboswell View Post
    i bought a tarp from a hardware store in damascus for less than five bucks at the hardware store about 6'x9'. worked good enough for the next 4-5 months.
    I used the old blue tarps for years and they are very durable and effective - and h-e-a-v-y

Get a flat tarp for your hammock. You can seal the ends more effectively. Use mini-biners to hold the two flaps together. Stake the ends to the ground with one stake. A 10x12 tarp will give you all the protection you'll need. Others will envy you.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++