WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Bear Bag

Default Bear Bag

I only have one last piece of gear to buy before heading out for the trail. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations on a waterproof bear bag.

Thanks!

As in "dessert" not "desert"

You're carrying a bear with you? Very heavy and not very useful. Consider a porcupine or a marmot instead.

Also, bears are pretty waterproof. You don't need to put them in a waterproof bag.

Default waterproof bags

Just buy a small waterproof dry bag like a Sea to Summit 13 liter (20 liter if you have lots of food or bulky food). The top rolls down to seal it, and you can get the regular or sil-nylon version. Then all you need is a standard 50 ft nylon non abrading rope or paracord.

There will be times that you don't want to hang your bag from the shelter, like in bear country or in a mouse infested shelter.

Images

Just use a sil stuff sack (light and cheap), but make sure it has the little strap on the bottom so you can hang it upside down.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Usually I didn't hang my food on the AT. When required, or when it seemed to make sense, I'd just line a stuff sack(s) with a plastic bag(s.)

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Buy a regular food bag(sea to summit, for example), and hang a bear line. If a bear really wants your food, that bear will get to it, even if you have a bear bag.

Kirby

Images

I also use the Sea to Summit dry bag (w/ the rolldown top). Works great and has made it through big thunderstorms with everything staying bone dry. They are very lightweight also.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Working on Forestry Grad schol

You might want to get something made out of fleece, to serve as a more comfortable pillow. That's what you do with a bear bag, right?

Images

Why not just buy waterproof food and then you woulnd't have to worry about keeping it dry.

Duh
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Working on Forestry Grad schol

I wasn't joking...

Default Bear Bag

Or double bag the plastic bag you get at the grocery store.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    I wasn't joking...
    After the PCT, I agree with you!

I wouldnt hang my food if I did the AT again. GA has cables, the Smokies fences, the Shenendoahs poles, and Jersey, boxes. Otherwise hang it from the shelter hooks or sleep on it
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    After the PCT, I agree with you!

I wouldnt hang my food if I did the AT again. GA has cables, the Smokies fences, the Shenendoahs poles, and Jersey, boxes. Otherwise hang it from the shelter hooks or sleep on it
    Those are all true except one; SMNP has removed most of the chainlink fronts front the shelters (this a report I've read from several of this year's SOBOs.) I didn't see any mention or other provisions like poles or cables, but they wouldn't need to worry so much given that the bears are all tucked in by the time the SOBOs reach SMNP.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Strategic View Post
    Those are all true except one; SMNP has removed most of the chainlink fronts front the shelters (this a report I've read from several of this year's SOBOs.) I didn't see any mention or other provisions like poles or cables, but they wouldn't need to worry so much given that the bears are all tucked in by the time the SOBOs reach SMNP.
    I don't remember any SMNP shelters that did not have cables. I almost always used them if they were there. If not I have rope and try to hang at least once a thru.
    Rambler

Granite Gear and OR(Outdoor Research?) make some great stuff sacks. I still use a Granite Gear sack I bought back in 2001 that's seen many many nights.

Don't worry too much about the waterproofing, since most of your food will probably be repackaged in ziplocs/grocery bags anyway.

Default Ursacks...

The mice break their teeth on them, too.

Images

Default amanda810

Take a look at the Equinox Bear bag at the link below.

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferr...ear-Bag/Detail

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

FWIW, I use a very old sleeping bag stuffsack for "bear" bagging (never saw a bear near my camp - I prefer to call it "critter bagging", whatever). It isn't even close to waterproof, as a matter of fact, I purposely burned a 1" hole in the bottom to let out any water passing through. My food is stored in zip-lock bags, so it doesn't matter if water gets into the critter bag. Cheap solution, and, if the critters get into it, no big loss (except for the food).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    You're carrying a bear with you? Very heavy and not very useful. Consider a porcupine or a marmot instead.

Also, bears are pretty waterproof. You don't need to put them in a waterproof bag.
    oh shoot, having read this, I am going to have look for the receipt for my bear and see if REI will take him back!
    Two Beers.

++ New Posts ++