WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

With Hilton being a national story, the public may be less inclined to pick folks up this year.

When I was in 4th grade by best friend's father was murdered by a hitchhiker. It's hard NOT to think of such things.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

The richer the area, the harder the hitch.

Images

Manchester, VT was the easiest hitch for me. Lots of nice folks there.

I had a hard time getting to N Woodstock, NH too. I think it's due to lots of "out of town" tourists driving down Rt 112 into town.

The pick-up truck is the hitchhikers friend. There seem to be more of them in the south, as well as in PA & ME.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Manchester, VT was the easiest hitch for me. Lots of nice folks there.

I had a hard time getting to N Woodstock, NH too. I think it's due to lots of "out of town" tourists driving down Rt 112 into town.
    Lots of hitching in VT. I pick up hikers hitching on the Green mountain spine all the time. Noticed hikers telling me they have been get passed over more often tho.

Default Is it just the south or does hitching always work?

The most amazing ride that I got on the whole AT was in the White Mountain notch that has the AMC by the railroad station. I'd sent a re-supply package to the AMC. When we were going back to the trail two ladies asked if they could give us a ride. They had the most beautiful Mercedes convertible with the top down. It had fine leather seats. My face must have showed my concern for the car with Winter’s claws. One of the women simply said “oh, don’t worry about the car.” The ladies asked a million questions about Winter. It’s amazing how many times I wind up feeling like just Winter’s assistant. Winter only needed me because I had the thumb to stick in the air.

A cop near Pawling NY told me it was against the law to hitch hike in NY. He did a background check on me and then drove me to the trail.

http://www.digihitch.com/
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

Gotta disagree with Wolf about hitching being easy anywhere on the A.T.

It's HORRIBLE in Connecticut and New York, not so great in some parts of Massachusetts, and not always great in PA.

Hitching a ride is MUCH easier down South, and I think there are three main reasons:

*The people are friendlier, period, and are less fearful of strangers.
    *They tend to be church-goers, i.e. they are charitable by nature, and
    have more faith in their fellow men.
    *Lastly, and here's the big one: The further south you go, the likelier you are
    to get a ride........in a pickup truck!

Images

This should be helpful to folks planning their trips and resupplies for 2008. Consider using towns where you don't need to hitchhike to resupply in, thus not relying on others. Towns like Bear Mountain, Kent, Salisbury, Dalton, Chesire, rt 2/n.adams come to mind.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I think hitchhiking in Vermont and Maine is just as easy as down south. NH maybe not quite as easy, but still good.

Trying to get a ride in NY, CT sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    Lots of hitching in VT. I pick up hikers hitching on the Green mountain spine all the time. Noticed hikers telling me they have been get passed over more often tho.
    I have been noticing that as well, meaning it's getting a bit tougher to get a hitch here in Vt. Just like the rest of the country we too have had our share of strange crimes and people are probably getting a bit more nervous and careful.

Images

I never expect to get a ride. When I plan my resupply stops I choose the towns or stores that are located very close to the trail. Every time I have stuck out my thumb, I have never gotten a ride. I usually just walk in/out of towns and if a car stops to give me a ride I take it, but never expect a ride and I'm never disappointed.

Images

ok so once I hitched close to fontanna and a redneck guy picked us up and gave us the ride of our lives in the back of his truck, my dog had crapped(got sick that morning) on me it was freezing and the guy was "going to church" i was holding on for dear life!

Another time this old couple picked myself and a girlfriend up while hiking down the USFS road at springer parking lot, we(I) had knocked a hole in her oil pan(jetta) and were stranded late and in the wrong season for anyone to drive by. The couple was cool and took us all the way home

Images

Last summer my wife and I hitched into Williamstown, MA with no problem. We stood at the curb, with my thumb out, for about 20 seconds.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

I didn't have a problem hitching in GA the last couple of weeks. If you are a woman you shouldn't have problems. Tourons and families never seem to pick anyone up. Other than Lurary, VA I never had a problem.

Unfortunatly I think it is going to make this harder with the past events. But I think it will be more likely to cause issues up north where people are not as used to it. Last week in Franklin 4 of us got a ride right in, a family in Shonies offerrend and drove us to PO, grocery store, and back to the trail. We got multiple ride offers in the PO and grocery. Hopefully this holds true for everyone. I think people that are used to hikers realize we are not all like that and will still help out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Gotta disagree with Wolf about hitching being easy anywhere on the A.T.

It's HORRIBLE in Connecticut and New York, not so great in some parts of Massachusetts, and not always great in PA.

Hitching a ride is MUCH easier down South, and I think there are three main reasons:

*The people are friendlier, period, and are less fearful of strangers.
    *They tend to be church-goers, i.e. they are charitable by nature, and
    have more faith in their fellow men.
    *Lastly, and here's the big one: The further south you go, the likelier you are
    to get a ride........in a pickup truck!
    i disagree it's no problem anywhere on the AT

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Wow, I had the exact same experience. The first major road in PA (can't remember the number) had me standing there for over an hour trying to get ice cream. I usually don't mention it because I didn't NEED to go there, just wanted to. Also, it wasn't a real trail town per say. Still, the people around there were unfriendly A$$holes
    So THAT's why there's a sign warning of the road crossing ahead on reaching PA 16...

got to say CT is the easyest state to get a ride. the only promblem is if you look like a hiker people assume you want to walk and are to polite to ruin you day by asking if you want a ride. we will Just wave to you and drive by.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++