WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Must be getting early, Clocks are Running Late" The Doctor's Avatar

Default Is it just the south or does hitching always work?

Just Curious, but I have only hiked in the southeast, but it seems like everytime I need a hitch I get one within 20 minutes (even in inclement weather). Is this just a southeast thing (Ga, NC, TN) or is this a common occurence all the way to Maine?
    "When the going gets tough, the tough take a hike"

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Don't expect easy hitches in new england (other than Maine). I found people in PA to be just as friendly as those in the south.

Images

People who live near the trail are used to hikers being in their neck of the woods during the typical hiker season and are generally receptive to the need a hitch issue.

I'm sure folks on here will have stories of unfriendly encounters and difficult hitches up north, particularly around the mid-atlantic and southern new england. Luckily there are few places you need to hitch to in this area, as usually the PO's and towns are within walking distance. In fact, off the top of my head one could hike some 800 miles betwen Waynesboro VA and Manchester VT without needing to hitchhike.

I think you'll find it's not much of a problem anywhere. By the time you get up to Maine it'll be easy again. Having an attractive female around always helps.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

As soon as I got to PA and tried to get a ride... I was out there on the road, pack on, thumb out and a car full of people rode by threw garbage out at me,*which hit me*, and screamed "Get a JOB!" Rides were harder to get until you get to Maine then people there seemed to be nicer...

hitchin is hitchin between GA and ME. no problem or better or worse in the south or north. all good

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    As soon as I got to PA and tried to get a ride... I was out there on the road, pack on, thumb out and a car full of people rode by threw garbage out at me,*which hit me*, and screamed "Get a JOB!" Rides were harder to get until you get to Maine then people there seemed to be nicer...
    Wow, I had the exact same experience. The first major road in PA (can't remember the number) had me standing there for over an hour trying to get ice cream. I usually don't mention it because I didn't NEED to go there, just wanted to. Also, it wasn't a real trail town per say. Still, the people around there were unfriendly A$$holes

Default Is it just the south or does hitching always work?

The people in the south were realy great but I've gotten rides all over the country. Here are some examples:

I was hitching back to the trail with Scott and Nora. We waited and waited. Then I suggested that Nora let her hair down. She did and the next vehicle gave us a ride.

Dolly and I were going to hitch to that town by the NOC. We each had a dog. I didn't think it would work but a guy in an SUV stopped and he had a huge dog. Three dogs, three people, no problem.

I never had a problem hitching with Winter. One time an elderly couple stopped for us and Winter sat in front with them. They asked Winter questions and I answered from the back seat as if it were Winter. Very sick but what the heck.

I thought I had been discreet when I changed my clothes behind a vehicle at the grocery store parking lot in Gorham, NH. I hiked on. Two or three days later I was hitching back to the trail again. A car slammed on her brakes and stopped for me. It seems that the woman had been sitting in the grocery store parking lot with her girl friend. She stopped and picked me up because she remembered my legs.

I was hitching with TUK and Rachel and not getting a ride. TUK hitched in the opposite direction and the guy turned around and took us to the restaurant.

Just smile and try not to look like an axe murderer.

Images

Actually my worst (never got one) was trying to get to Franklin, NC. I walked about 3 1/2 miles to a payphone at a campground and called a cab. However, I should mention it was COLD rainy day, and I was a bit of a BIG drowned rat. I never really needed to hitch any where I went the rest of the time I was in the south. You walk through LOTS of trail towns and easy resupply points.

I never had to wait more than maybe 20 minutes for a hitch any where else, and usually less than that.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Hitchin' is like raindancing. Its all in the timing!
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Images

Default Only problem I had was no cars.......

It was not getting picked as much as having no one come by for an hour.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

http://www.myspace.com/officialbillville Mountain Dew's Avatar

Thumbs up hahahaaa Hikertrash

They threw trash at you that actually hit you ? omg...That's hilarious. I'm sorry, but I'd pay good money to have seen that. The question that begs to be asked here is...

Did you go through the trash to see if there was anything good to eat on ?
    THE Mairnttt...Boys of Dryland '03 (an unplanned Billville suburb)
    http://www.AT2003.com
    [email protected]
    http://www.myspace.com/hudson_hartson

The worst time I've had recently was in Kalispel, MT trying to get to Glacier. I hhitched 3.5 hours before I gave up and rented a car. I had one guy yell out the window, "You need a woman!" Yeah, like I didn't already know.

I know this girl that got hit with beer bottle thrown from a trunk on 19E. There was no mistaking her for a man either. What's with that?

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    Hitchin' is like raindancing. Its all in the timing!
    No kidding. I've resorted to making signs and at times to hold cash, without luck. Other times I can barely get across the street and I have a ride.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I know this girl that got hit with beer bottle thrown from a trunk on 19E. There was no mistaking her for a man either. What's with that?
    Southern Hospitality?

Images

Default Funny you mention 19E....

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    We camped there in behind the sign because we hit there at dark. The locals noticed us and started driving by and whopping and shouting and throwing bottles out the window. It lasted 15 minutes and I slept with one eye open.
    The heaviest thing I carried was my attitude.
    Montani semper liberi - Mountaineers are always free

Desire is the main ingredient for success

I remember a long time ago, i hitched from CO to my home in PA, the last ride i needed was about 6 miles from my house.
    A bunch of kids went off the road onto the shoulder to either try to scare me or actually try to run me off the road.
    Oh well, you never know.

A sign in a Loo in England: "Hitching is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat - Sooner later you get pissed off!"

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post

Consider yourself lucky, I got paintballed last year!
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

I tried to pick resupply points that were close enough to the AT that I could walk in case I couldn't get a ride. Worst place I had was Lincoln NH. I had to roadwalk 6 miles into North Woodstock. It took me less than 2 hours though.

I find MD, PA, NJ, NY and NH to be the hardest states to get a hitch. The first four I think because of the proximity to the big cities and the distrust that sometimes comes with that. NH, well, people are just cold and distant up there. Til you get 'em drunk, of course.

I'd rank Geogia and Maine as the easiest places to get a hitch.
    Yahtzee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++