WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default New to backpacking and need help . . .

I'm in the planning stage of starting backpacking . . . my parents think it is a dumb hobby and they don't see why would I want to go out and hike a 2,175 mile trail. My mom says "you have a day pack why do you need a bigger pack". Every day I come on this website and look and the pictures and read the posts of thru hikes (of the A.T. )I really want to thur hike the A.T.!

Any way, what are some ways for me to talk to my parents to let them agree to let me start backpacking. My mom said to me that would be a dumb reason to spend $700.00! HELP !!!!! I want to start backpacking !!!!

how old are you?

I'll be 15 in May . . .

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by alaska moose View Post
    I'm in the planning stage of starting backpacking . . . my parents think it is a dumb hobby and they don't see why would I want to go out and hike a 2,175 mile trail. My mom says "you have a day pack why do you need a bigger pack". Every day I come on this website and look and the pictures and read the posts of thru hikes (of the A.T. )I really want to thur hike the A.T.!

Any way, what are some ways for me to talk to my parents to let them agree to let me start backpacking. My mom said to me that would be a dumb reason to spend $700.00! HELP !!!!! I want to start backpacking !!!!
    I know it's probably a stretch, but I'm guessing your parents are couch potatoes? Here's an idea. If you're old enough, get a job, part time at least and use the money your earn from it to fund your desire to start backpacking. So, if it's your money, yoru folks have no say so in how you save or spend it, no matter how "dumb" they think it is. Good luck and to White Blaze!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

hmmmm. you've got a few years before you can get serious about a thru-hike.

Images

Join the boy souts??
    Or a church group that takes overnight camping trips, let your parents see you are serious about it.
    Check used gear and sales, , try different packs, sleeping bags, etc. see what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    hmmmm. you've got a few years before you can get serious about a thru-hike.
    I'm thinking 2018 !

But before them hike long trail around here, High Country Pathway (great trail)

Images

You definately have a few years to go before a through hike. Spend some time doing overnighters and learning the ropes. There are a lot of great trails in Michigan. The North Country Scenic Pathway has some great trails through the UP. I work at Jays sporting goods in Gaylord Mi. Stop in and ask for the hiking guy at camping. I will be glad to give you any help I can. Bring your mom and dad in and introduce them to me. Keep your folks advised as to anyone you meet on line. Including me. Hope to see you in the store.

Run away and join the circus.
    Don't trust anyone over 30.
    Avoid cliches like the plague.

Seriously, run. 15 is a good age to start seriously running.
    If you can't run fast, run far.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dough View Post
    Join the boy souts.......
    Scouting is a great way to get outside and learn valuable outdoor skills that will serve you the rest of your life. Lots of good experience available through scouting. I didn't get involved in scouting until just after my 14th birthday. Even with les than 4 years, I made Life Scout. I figured I'd never make Eagle, but you don't have to in order to enjoy what scouting has to offer. Don't get me wrong, Eagle is an incredible accomplishment and definitely something to be proud of. Realistically, not everyone is going to or even wants to make it. Do you think your parents would support you scouting?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You might also consider trying to make your own gear. There are a lot of on-line resources with instructions on how to make lightweight shelters, clothing, stuff sacks, alcohol stoves, packs; even sleeping bags. Also, you don't need to buy all your equipment at the same time; and in fact most people wouldn't recommend it.

Check out your local community college or university where you can sometimes rent equipment to augment what you own. You're likely to start with a heavier setup than you'd like, but at least you'll get out there and start to experiment with what works for you. You don't need a lot of money to survive out there, but you will be more comfortable if you lighten the load (and avoid cotton!).

I did my first section hike with two other 15-year olds: 53 miles from Delaware Water Gap to Unionville in April 1973. I had a lot of camping experience in scouting, but this was my first long distance hike and I learned a lot that year and during hikes with worse weather the successive two years. I probably carried 50 pounds, including a massive rectangular synthetic sleeping bag and a stove that weighed over a pound, but didn't know enough to carry a shelter thinking that I could roll up in my plastic ground cloth. Live and learn.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    You definately have a few years to go before a through hike. Spend some time doing overnighters and learning the ropes. There are a lot of great trails in Michigan. The North Country Scenic Pathway has some great trails through the UP. I work at Jays sporting goods in Gaylord Mi. Stop in and ask for the hiking guy at camping. I will be glad to give you any help I can. Bring your mom and dad in and introduce them to me. Keep your folks advised as to anyone you meet on line. Including me. Hope to see you in the store.
    I grew up in Farwell, on Five Lakes. Man I miss that place.

15 is a bit young, no wonder your parents are against it. If I were you, I'd quit talking about thru hiking and just start day hiking, then do an overnighter with someone. Work into longer trips as the years progress. You can rent backpacks and bags and such from outfitters so you won't have to put out a big expense at the start. Then, when you get a bit older and your folks are used to you hiking and backpacking, bring it up again. I wouldn't bring it up again till you were out of high school. In the meantime, find work wherever you can and save at least $6000 for the thru. That should be good for gear and expenses.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Do you have ang gear now? Do you have any friends who like camping/backpacking?

Images

I'll add my vote to scouting. Besides regular troops, there are co-ed groups (I think they're called Venture, although they were Explorers in my time) that usually specialize in one area. I was lucky enough to have an outdoors post at my high school. Does your high school have an outdoors club? If not, is there a faculty member who would sponsor one? What about the Sierra Club or a trail club in your area? They take lots of day hikes, and maybe even some overnighters. Do you belong to a church youth group that might be interested in outdoor adventures? Mine used to go whitewater rafting every summer, which was my intro to the outdoors. Community education at a local college or a nature center may offer hiking/camping/backpacking.

Unless you have experienced friends, you'll learn a lot more, be safer, and ease your parents' minds if you start out with an established group. Have your parents get to know the folks you'll be with. Maybe they'll even go along. Earn the money to buy your gear. Maybe get a summer job as a camp counselor. Regardless, keep communicating with your parents. Ease them into your new hobby. DON'T do what I did - take off on the AT at 18 as a complete surprise to everyone I knew. I caused my family an unbelievable amount of worry, which I fully appreciate now as the parent of 16, 15, and 14 year olds.

Although, it was a unique form of rebellion...

Welcome to WB Ak Moose! 15 is a great age to get started, I grew up in an urban environment and really was not exposed to hiking/camping until I lived in Colorado for many years in my early 20's, so at 15 you are way ahead of alot of us here at WB in getting started. Also, I would not be too worried about what mom/dad say about your hiking interest because I'm sure they have their interest and you have yours and your parents are giving you a good introduction to a simple fact that many people you meet in your life will ask you,"why do you want to do that"? Michigan has some great trials, go out and start hiking them this Spring and Summer, the North trail is very good one to start out on. Good luck and enjoy every step!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dough View Post
    Join the boy souts??
    Or a church group that takes overnight camping trips, let your parents see you are serious about it.
    Check used gear and sales, , try different packs, sleeping bags, etc. see what you like.
    ABSOLUTELY!
    Choose a Troop that does camp and high adventure many times a year.

You are young and you need to show them this isnt just a hollow wish. Show yourself reading all you can about backpacking, gear catalogs, leave notebooks around with things like wished for gear lists, planning notes, etc.

Take that daypack they say is enough; structure hikes and do just that. EVery free day, afternoon ...hike! When they come into a room (and if your serious, this shouldnt be a farce) they should see you watching what ever you can find on the TV having to do with the outdoors, camping, wilderness...all related material to what you want to do.

I am of the opinion that you really need your parents behind you if you have aspirations of doing any long distance hiking. Later on when your 25 or so, it isnt that big of a deal. If you feel the pull, your gonna at least attempt it with or without their support.

However now, you need them. Its sounds that this subject is foreign to them so you cant go right for the golden chalis. You have to lay the foundation of an interest and then build it up till they see it. When they do, you will know when they take you seriously. The questions will start, have you thought of this and that, how many miles are you going to hike, where, and you might even get the "WHY" question. (have a good answer for that one)

SECRET- if you get one parent on board with your interest, ping on them, make sure you make it a point to involve that parent in all that you want to do...NOW.

OH, and at this point DONT keep bringing up doing the entire AT statement. At least until you see them getting onboard with your interest.

good luck
    Last edited by HIKER7s; 01-18-2008 at 10:42.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Images

Welcome Moose. I'm so glad to see you interested in hiking and backpacking and the outdoors. Beats the heck out of Wii!

You're hearing lots of great advice from parents here... they no doubt are concerned that you want to spend big bucks for what may be a passing fancy and I don't blame them at all for wanting to go slow. (This does not excuse their making fun of your ambitions... parents should *never* do that!). I know it's fabulous to think about a thru-hike but, as the others have said, you totally have to start learning about backpacking, get physically fit and mentally prepared, and gain some maturity before you can undertake a project as gigantic as a thru. If you really are serious about doing it, then if you get a job and start saving your money, your parents will see that you're going to do it - it will really impress them and they'll start to take YOU more seriously. I know at your age it's tough to find a "regular" paid job, but there are many other things you can do to start to scrape together funds... my 13 yo daughter makes $50-100 per week between her babysitting, dog walking and goat milking jobs and she banks at least half of that. So it CAN be done!

Take care, I hope we see more of you...
    Jane in CT

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Scouting is a great way to get outside and learn valuable outdoor skills that will serve you the rest of your life. Lots of good experience available through scouting. I didn't get involved in scouting until just after my 14th birthday. Even with les than 4 years, I made Life Scout. I figured I'd never make Eagle, but you don't have to in order to enjoy what scouting has to offer. Don't get me wrong, Eagle is an incredible accomplishment and definitely something to be proud of. Realistically, not everyone is going to or even wants to make it. Do you think your parents would support you scouting?
    Hooch is right about the scouting program. In fact only 4 out 100 scouts will ever make Eagle (National Statistic). The Boy Scouts of America has another program that is co-ed, called Venturing. Check into this program as well. It is designed for young men & women ages 14 - 20. Venturing Crews as they are called, usually are involved in more "high adventure" activities such as climbing & repelling, whitewater rafting etc., and yes they backpack and camp too. To learn more go to http://www.scouting.org/
    and click on the green diamond on the right hand side of the page.

TO

Images

ditto on joining Boy Scouts. Find a troop that does a lot of camping/backpacking. You can get all your gear on way less than $700. Does your mom sew? If so, ask her to teach you, Go to http://www.ray-way.com/index.htm (after February). You can make your own tarp, backpack and quilt, for less than $300. Get a job, earn your own money, buy your gear and clothes. When your parents see this maturity, they will be more inclined to support your dream. Don't spend too much time focusing on a thru hike, enjoy every opportunity to do short hiking.

Images

A lot of great advice here. Do you have any of your friends that are interested or might become interested in hiking/backpacking? Trail clubs are another good idea, or if your school allows it, get with the administration, find a sponsor that hikes and start a hiking club at your school. Volunteer with local hiking/trail organizations to perform trail maintenance on weekends.

Learn as much as you can: this is a great place for information, but realize that you are in most cases reading peoples various opinions and some people have very strong ones regarding equipment and methods. Dig through that and determine what works for you. Read magazines and books on hiking. Learn from your mistakes.

I vividly remember my first backpacking trip: my buddy and I had a 5 lb bag of potatoes, full bottle of pancake syrup, full bottle of catsup...etc. this was for a 3 day trip...LOL. I learned quick.

Most of all talk to your parents about hiking and hopefully they will realize that it is a great hobby/interest for a high schooler. Sure a lot better and healtier than what a lot of kids at your school are doing...have fun!
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++