WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Contrail-Tarptent Cold Weather Question?

I have the Contrail Tarptent for which I have a question:

Is there a process for using an additional tarp as a cover to make the tarptent more cold weather friendly? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

The problem with a tarp tent in cold weather is all the ventilation inherent in the design. That's what makes it work in moderate/warm weather. I don't see how another waterproof tarp would help. If you were dealing with windblown rain maybe a sil nylon poncho rigged on the windward side would be a consideration, but you'd be using your raingear for that, so that's an issue.

I saw a Tarptent with an added breathable nylon "skirt" around the edges of the tarp. They were then folded in and under the floor making a solid seal on the windward side. reducing ventilation, but it kept the wind out.
    The "skirt" was secured with ties and Velcro for easy removal.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Maybe just get a bivy and deal with it the same way you would if you had just a tarp and bivy in the winter. (Many folks are perfectly happy with the tarp and bivy arrangement, even in a snowstorm.

Images

Is it possible to start a nobo in februrary? if so what should I take for clothes because my only fear is sweating too much and then it freezing my clothes. I was planning on leaving in mid march with a friend who took his own life a few days ago so there is no reason to wait around.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by iliketacos View Post
    I have the Contrail Tarptent for which I have a question:

Is there a process for using an additional tarp as a cover to make the tarptent more cold weather friendly? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
    Have a good sleeping bag and a hat/balaclava. Your contrail won't be any colder than sleeping in a shelter or cowboy camping.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Have a good sleeping bag and a hat/balaclava. Your contrail won't be any colder than sleeping in a shelter or cowboy camping.
    I've only spent one windy night in a tarptent but I was suprised how much warmer it seemed inside. I think Shire's original design only had mesh on one side, so you just oriented it away from the wind.

Images

A couple of weeks ago i was on Cowrock Mtn. in my Contrail it was 18 degrees that night and a little windy, it did great. This is the easiest tent to put up i have ever had.

Thats a good thing to hear. I am considering using the Contrail in the late part of my thru-hike.

If it's windy, stuff some extra clothes on the side of the tent that the wind is blowing into. I have both an original squall and a contrail, and I take them backpacking in every season except winter.

dragonfeet- Sorry to hear about your loss. My sympathies.

tacos- The Contrail is designed to be set up in 'bomber mode' where it will be less susceptible to to wind gusts and windblown rain. Staking the side guyouts to the ground as well as staking the front and rear corners of the canopy lower to the ground will expose less mesh. You'll sacrifice airflow through the tent which might result in more condensation. Do some searches on this and other forums (especially Franco's excellent posts) foir some pics. Here's one from an old thread showing the setup- http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...orm-set-up.jpg
    If you don't do it this year, you'll just be one year older when you do - Warren Miller

Images

Yup, X2 on rswanson's post.

I take the edges and stake them down all the way around to the ground. You also lower your front pole to allow the fly to touch the ground and help stop the wind.

Not as nice as my Microzoid in cold weather but is liveble.

Images

Dragonfeet -- that's rough, you have my sympathies. My hiking partner passed away a couple of years ago from cancer. Not as sudden or as shocking, but I still feel the loss every day.

Yes, you can start a thru-hike in February. There are several threads on cold-weather clothing. Here's a link to a long post I wrote on this subject last month:

http://tinyurl.com/2jnopm

But read the whole thread from the top -- there's lots of great information in there, and it should answer your questions.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++