WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thumbs up Killington to the Canadian Border

Sooooo new at all this. I think we are staying at the Killington bed and breakfast, know anything about it ??
    And the most famous question , how do you get back to your car if it is in Killington. Thanks for any and all information. I love hiking. Cookie P

Default Killington again

Sorry so excited about someone to ask forgot to ask if we are flying what is the closest airport to Killington. We (6 of us) are heading up there from the mountains of NC August 12, 2008. We are stoked Cookie P

Images

Consider the Long Trail Inn, great place. Good Bus service in Vermont.
    WalkingStick"75"

Default killington to Canadian Border

I assume you are speaking of hiking the long trail. Expect the most difficult terrain mile for mile anywhere in these parts. The LT is one hard trail in central andnorthern part of VT worse than most of the AT. But you will see some real nice scenery.

Once you get to the border.. you hike a mile and a half or so along the Journeys end trail then some dirt roads into North Troy, VT.

To get home.. you can hitch and prey. Or you can make pior arrangements. Forget about public transport. Nothin to be had.

David

I second changing your reservation to the Inn at the Long Trail. It's just so convenient for your purposes. I also second that the hike north out of Killington is comparable in toughness to anything on the AT. Climbs may not gain as much elevation but hiking is just as slow, if not slower.
    Yahtzee

the motion passes on the Inn at Long Trail... and yes, no public trans to get back from border. last year i managed to hitch to montpelier and got amtrak back home. pretty cheap but theres only one train a day or something. theres an airport in Rutland, Vt. never been there but you can see it from the trail and I think there's a bus up to the LT Inn. Rutlands a good place to supply as well, esp fuel you can't bring on place, etc.

Default Killington to the Canadian border

Consider contacting Mad Hatter at Long Trail Festival web site. He is in Rutland, AT alumni, and Green Mountain Club. Would likely conect you with all your needs. Good luck, might see you there 9LT that is) Pipesmoke

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

On the north end the nearest major airport is Montreal, Quebec. On the south end - Albany, NY.
    Aaron

There is nothing at journeys end for transportation, i had thought we had a ride out of there from someone mentioned in the end to enders guide, dont go by that, when we got to johnson, we called like they told us to , then told us they couldnt help us, we were screwd, but like evrything else, it seemed to work out, a short time later that day we met a couple people just touring the state and they offerd to meet us at journeys end and drive us to burlington when we finished, it worked out awsome, they even had beer in the river waiting for us to celabrate completing the trail,

so , dont sweat the ride if you dont have one before hand, you can most likely catch a ride from someone along the way, people are relly cool up there.
    also , i agree on the long trail inn, right next to killington and very good food and BEER!!!
    good luck,
    Backtrack1

As far as getting to the region by air you can use Burlington's airport (BTV) from where you can get to Rutland via US 7 or up to or down from N. Troy via VT 15 and Vt 100. Actually, quite a few folks make the daily commute between Burlington and the Troy/Newport area which could result in a single hitch. Also, the bus (Marble Valley Transit) makes runs I believe hourly from Rutland to Killington on US 4. Unless you have made prior arrangements it might be possible to hitch south from N. Troy via Vt Rte 100 which also goes through Killington, but the liklihood is you will end up stringing a long chain of short rides. The best bet would be as mentioned earlier trying to catch the commuter traffic to Burlington.

Last year I flew into Albany and took Amtrak to Rutland then a taxi ride to the trail.

I hitched north up 100 from Waterbury to North Troy. It took five rides but it was easy.

I concur. There is no other....The Inn At Long Trail.....best pint of Guiness on The Trail....

comingling spot of AT & LT thru hikers! Very kewl. Awesome Guiness Stew & Shepard's Pie. And just off he trail.

Doesn't get any betta!!!

I used to live over in Jay, VT for a year or so helping some freinds manage a bankrupt ski lodge. More cows then people up that way for sure.

It might be easier arranging transportation to North Troy than out of it. And much easier getting out at Killington. So, you might consider going north to south. Not a whole lot of difference in terms of effort.

One plan might be Logan, MA then bus connections to Burlington and then taxi to N. Troy. Hope your not on a budget!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I used to live over in Jay, VT for a year or so helping some freinds manage a bankrupt ski lodge. More cows then people up that way for sure.

It might be easier arranging transportation to North Troy than out of it. And much easier getting out at Killington. So, you might consider going north to south. Not a whole lot of difference in terms of effort.

One plan might be Logan, MA then bus connections to Burlington and then taxi to N. Troy. Hope your not on a budget!
    which lodge? i lived in Jay for 10 winters

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    which lodge? i lived in Jay for 10 winters
    Cederwood lodge, on the east side of Jay, just before you head up the hill to the ski area, 5-6 miles up the road. This must have been 1990 give or take a year. Towards the end of my serious mountain bum years.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Cederwood lodge, on the east side of Jay, just before you head up the hill to the ski area, 5-6 miles up the road. This must have been 1990 give or take a year. Towards the end of my serious mountain bum years.
    yup. i know the place. i lived in jay from 89 to 99

Small world indeed. Looks like I helped out there winter of 89/90 then became summer caretaker for Montclair Glen lodge near Camals Hump. By the summer of 90, the lodge was pretty much history as far as my friends were concerned, but I guess its still around.

++ New Posts ++