WhiteBlaze Pages 2022
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
$5 for printable PDF, AVAILABLE NOW. $9 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Registered User Alilalien's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2007
    Location
    Bryson City, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14

    Default 2008 Thru-hike Group Forming

    Real name is Chris But I like to go by "Guy"
    NOBO
    March 15-17th
    Approach Trail


    Looking for other hikers that are interested in group hiking. Please reply with any contact information so that you can meet the rest of the group. Please only if you are leaving within the select dates (March 15-17th) and only people starting from the approach trail NOBO. A group list will be supplied via pm or e-mail.

    Thank You, Guy

  2. #2
    Registered User Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2007
    Location
    Idaho Springs, CO
    Age
    39
    Posts
    145
    Images
    17

    Default

    Well Just to let you guys know im 24, and guy is 26, so mabe people within that age group would work out the best. Its kinda a cool idea to try and meet people at the approach, as a group and see what happens. I mean if we got enough people that would be pretty wild! Anyway Im in, Ill be at the Hiker Hostel from the 14th to the 16th. Cheers, Dirty harry.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-07-2007
    Location
    Willimantic, CT
    Age
    37
    Posts
    144

    Default

    I am starting on the 15th. I have some friends taking me to the trail though, so I dont really know what my plans are- I was just going to do whatever was easiest for them.
    Two Beers.

  4. #4
    Registered User whitelightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-27-2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Age
    46
    Posts
    69

    Default

    I plan (as of now) to start on the 15th. It would be cool to know a few hikers who are starting at the same time. I plan on doing the approach trail and am flexible to time of departure. Feel free to PM me.

  5. #5
    Registered User Alilalien's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2007
    Location
    Bryson City, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitelightning View Post
    I plan (as of now) to start on the 15th. It would be cool to know a few hikers who are starting at the same time. I plan on doing the approach trail and am flexible to time of departure. Feel free to PM me.

    Nice to meet you WhiteLightning. There is plenty of room in the group. I will send a message with info regarding.

  6. #6
    Champerrific
    Join Date
    12-27-2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Age
    37
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alilalien View Post
    There is plenty of room in the group.
    How nice of you...

  7. #7
    Registered User Alilalien's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2007
    Location
    Bryson City, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14

    Default

    TheChamp obviously has nothing constructive to say and does not have a desire to hike with us.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-30-2007
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Age
    37
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I'm leaving around the 15th as well. Plus it would be swell to tell mi madre that I am meeting people down there so she can stop having a panic attack...

  9. #9

    Default

    Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter...it's better to just go easy and the 'group' will fall in when it's right. If it's ever right.

  10. #10
    Champerrific
    Join Date
    12-27-2007
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Age
    37
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy99 View Post
    Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter...it's better to just go easy and the 'group' will fall in when it's right. If it's ever right.
    Alilalien, you're right, I have no desire to hike with you, but here's something constructive for you...I agree with BigDaddy on this.

    This has been the standard advice on these and other forums. Some people don't listen to the people who have been there before, and still try to organize a group/partner before leaving for the trail. If you go without a group planned, like-minded people will gravitate into hiking "groups" and have a good time. What happens if you "let" someone join your "group" and they turn out to be an a**hole? Just go with the flow...or plan your group if you really want to. I don't care...

  11. #11
    Registered User Dirty Harry's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-19-2007
    Location
    Idaho Springs, CO
    Age
    39
    Posts
    145
    Images
    17

    Default

    ok, then don't reply. If it dosnt workout then it dosnt work out. I hiked the trail I know how it works, and how it dosnt. I thought it was pretty cool that this thread was started, I. Actually meet up with the person that started this thread over the weekend and we where able to go through gear and talk about the logistics of this thru coming up. So for me even if this group dosnt work out, it was still helpful for me, any way see you guys on the 16th- approach trail.

  12. #12

    Default forced group hiking

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy99 View Post
    Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter...it's better to just go easy and the 'group' will fall in when it's right. If it's ever right.
    big daddy99' is right, except if theres a group there will be more people to say goodbye as they drop off one by one...

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    63
    Posts
    31,307

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alilalien View Post
    Real name is Chris But I like to go by "Guy"
    NOBO
    March 15-17th
    Approach Trail


    Looking for other hikers that are interested in group hiking. Please reply with any contact information so that you can meet the rest of the group. Please only if you are leaving within the select dates (March 15-17th) and only people starting from the approach trail NOBO. A group list will be supplied via pm or e-mail.

    Thank You, Guy
    all i ask is you keep the group under 10 wannabes. we don't want to impact the trail. LNT and all.
    Last edited by Lone Wolf; 01-30-2008 at 09:19.

  14. #14
    Registered User Alilalien's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2007
    Location
    Bryson City, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14

    Default

    The idea of starting this group is to be able to "start" the hike without having to be by yourself in the beginning not to finish as one but if that was to happen then so be it. I just would like to get there already knowing someone. Dirty Harry and I have already met in person and I have learned a lot. We also seemed to get along well. Those are all thing I am trying to accomplish with this thread. I am not trying to get comments such as "keep it under 10 wannabes" and "Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter" . SO IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED LEAVE IT BE!

  15. #15
    But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Join Date
    09-24-2006
    Location
    Between Kittery and Fort Kent
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,576
    Images
    3

    Default

    Hm.

    If you are going to start with a group, fantastic (I am), just don't be dependent upon your fellow hikers. Design it so that you could push forward on your own if need be.

    That's my own advice, do what you please with it,
    Kirby

  16. #16
    Working on Forestry Grad schol
    Join Date
    01-21-2005
    Location
    Blacksburg, VA
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,455

    Default

    I met people on the trail who formed a group online and were still hiking together at Damascus. It can work.

  17. #17
    Registered User Alilalien's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2007
    Location
    Bryson City, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Hm.

    If you are going to start with a group, fantastic (I am), just don't be dependent upon your fellow hikers. Design it so that you could push forward on your own if need be.

    That's my own advice, do what you please with it,
    Kirby
    Makes perffect sence I agree.

  18. #18

    Default

    Considering your start date you guys will not be at a loss for company. Just a consideration, if you have too many people in your group you will be considerably slower and have problems finding camp and shelter space. Not a bad idea to meet some of your fellow hikers ahead of time. Best of luck Guy and guys!

    Glo-Worm

  19. #19
    Registered User Alilalien's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-27-2007
    Location
    Bryson City, NC
    Age
    40
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glo-Worm View Post
    Considering your start date you guys will not be at a loss for company. Just a consideration, if you have too many people in your group you will be considerably slower and have problems finding camp and shelter space. Not a bad idea to meet some of your fellow hikers ahead of time. Best of luck Guy and guys!

    Glo-Worm
    Thanks! Glo-Worm

  20. #20
    avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-14-2004
    Location
    planet earth
    Posts
    1,034
    Images
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alilalien View Post
    The idea of starting this group is to be able to "start" the hike without having to be by yourself in the beginning not to finish as one but if that was to happen then so be it. I just would like to get there already knowing someone. Dirty Harry and I have already met in person and I have learned a lot. We also seemed to get along well. Those are all thing I am trying to accomplish with this thread. I am not trying to get comments such as "keep it under 10 wannabes" and "Don't "plan" a group hike. All you'll end up doing is getting angry- people will be faster than you, people will be slower than you, people will wanna push to the next shelter" . SO IF YOU ARE NOT INTERESTED LEAVE IT BE!
    oh boy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •