WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Springer Mtn. Section hike

I'm a section hiker and want to start at Springer Mtn.
    I can do about 13 miles a day pretty easy, what would be a good section hike for a 2 to 3 day hike starting at Springer?

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

You could go to Neel's Gap, around 30 miles from Springer, or to GA 348, about 36 miles from Springer, if you add this Approach Trail, one of these finishing points may work well. I have never hiked this area, nor do I live in this area. I am purely operating based on the maps.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    You could go to Neel's Gap, around 30 miles from Springer, or to GA 348, about 36 miles from Springer, if you add this Approach Trail, one of these finishing points may work well. I have never hiked this area, nor do I live in this area. I am purely operating based on the maps.

Kirby
    I wasn't sure how far Neels Gap was from Springer.
    I need to buy that map of the GA section, hoping to start in March.
    I've done a little bit of the smokies...

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Starting in March will put you with about 4648394639 other people, depending on you start date.

Kirby

Maybe starting during the week would be better..
    I bet weekends would be alot more people.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Check out the guidebook

Journal Entries
    Images

I am planning a three day section hike starting at FS42(I've already been up to Spiringer from FS42) in late April. My plan is to take out three full days later at GA60 (Woody Gap). But I am a 7-9 miles a day hiker, so if you can do 13 miles per day, Neels Gap would be easily achievable. You could probably even make it on over to Hogpen Gap on the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway at about mile 37. That would give you half of Georgia in 3 days. The guidebook is nice, but I've also attached an Excel file I am working with that may help you. Good luck and enjoy. I hope you post here about your trip since you are going before me.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wrightsphoto View Post
    I can do about 13 miles a day pretty easy, what would be a good section hike for a 2 to 3 day hike starting at Springer?

Springer to Neels, 3 days roughly. Some decent mtns like Sassafrass and Blood Mtn to climb.

Early March during the week is a better bet for less people. Or avoid shelter areas and camp. Justus creek is a really nice stop for day one. Georgia hikers can help you when they get back from Soruck.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    I am planning a three day section hike starting at FS42(I've already been up to Spiringer from FS42) in late April. My plan is to take out three full days later at GA60 (Woody Gap). But I am a 7-9 miles a day hiker, so if you can do 13 miles per day, Neels Gap would be easily achievable. You could probably even make it on over to Hogpen Gap on the Richard B Russell Scenic Highway at about mile 37. That would give you half of Georgia in 3 days. The guidebook is nice, but I've also attached an Excel file I am working with that may help you. Good luck and enjoy. I hope you post here about your trip since you are going before me.
    Thanks for the info, I don't have a date set in stone yet....
    Since I live in NC, I can go about anytime.
    Thanks for the Excel file, that will get me started on planning.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm

Check out the guidebook
    Thanks for the link!
    I'll check it out!

John did a nice excel and here is another link, it shows elevation. In the South, which is all I've hike so far, it's up and then down. Enjoy
    http://pathways.uwe.ac.uk/thedatabook/index.php

If you start at Springer, vice Amicalola then Neel's Gap would be perfect for a 3 day hike; and you won't have to do 13 miles a day, tough section. If you want to do 2 days or need to bail early then Springer - Woody Gap (GA60) would be a good section.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I wasn't sure how far Neels Gap was from Springer.
    Here's a great, quick calculator for AT distances. Hope it works for you down in Gaston County! If Woody is still the the Police Chief, say Hi to him for me!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Here's a great, quick calculator for AT distances. Hope it works for you down in Gaston County! If Woody is still the the Police Chief, say Hi to him for me!
    Thanks!
    Yes Woody is still the police chief and also a good friend of mine.
    I am over the wastewater plant here in Cherryville and have been with the City for 14 yrs now. I see him daily.
    Thanks for the calculator and info!
    Maybe I'll see some of you at Trail Days this year.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    If you start at Springer, vice Amicalola then Neel's Gap would be perfect for a 3 day hike; and you won't have to do 13 miles a day, tough section. If you want to do 2 days or need to bail early then Springer - Woody Gap (GA60) would be a good section.
    Sounds like a plan, Thanks John!
    Sounds like I'm going to try to shoot for Neel's Gap then.
    Then hopefully go back in April and do another 3 day section starting from Neels Gap.

Thanks guys for all the helpful info!!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Thanks!
    Yes Woody is still the police chief and also a good friend of mine.
    I am over the wastewater plant here in Cherryville and have been with the City for 14 yrs now. I see him daily.
    Thanks for the calculator and info!
    Maybe I'll see some of you at Trail Days this year.
    I come down to Charlotte to visit a few times a year, maybe we can take a day hike at Crowder's Mountain some time. I was thinking of going to TD this year, so maybe I'll see you there!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

++ New Posts ++