WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Rain gear.... When?

Scenario: You're going on a 3-4 day section hike and loading your pack. There is no rain in the forecast.

Question: Do you still take rain gear?

If not, what is the "x% chance of rain" that you do take something to wear that'll keep you dry?

My thinking is that if there is no rain in the forecast and I'm only going to be out 3-4 days then I could (maybe?) get away with taking my .99 cent Wally World emergency poncho. Anything over 20% I'll switch to my DriDucks. What gives me pause with this plan is that the whole DriDucks ensemble only weighs 9 oz - why not just take them and leave the elcheapo poncho at home......

Thanks,
    Thomas

always have some rain gear

Images

I always have some sort of rain gear. For 1 thing mountain forecasts are uncertain at best.

Summer rain gear is minimal, cause the result of getting wet is to spend time in misery.

Winter rain gear is much more substantial, cause the result of getting wet can be life-threatening
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

No rain gear = 100% chance of rain.

Just one of those weird natural facts of life

Images

Default well...

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    always have some rain gear
    Except in the summer in GA. Well, a pack cover and dry set of clothes, but no personal rain gear needed.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DCHiker View Post
    No rain gear = 100% chance of rain.

Just one of those weird natural facts of life
    Yep.... you're probably right about that....

I always bring it. (On the AT. If I was in the desert that would be different.) Do you trust the weatherman that much? As Envirodiver puts out, mountain forcasts can be iffy. Most times the weather stations are not located where you are hiking and can be a lot lower in elevation too. If such is the case, where you are headed will be colder and the humidity higher.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

The weather pinheads can't exactly tell if it will rain on the mountain you'll be hiking, you can't rely on their so-called forecasts to predict much of anything, so I always bring my rain jacket.

Images

Default summer

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Summer rain gear is minimal, cause the result of getting wet is to spend time in misery.
    In my book, the only good thing about hiking in the summer in the south, is the near daily thunderstorm that cleanses my already wet body. I could do without the lightning thing, though.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images

I always take rain gear. Since mine is Goretex it also doubles as an extra layer of warmth if needed.

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

late April last year on Blue Mountain it was in the 70s on the south slope (where the trail breaks off to go to the source of the Chattahoochee). Then it started raining. By the top of the mountain it was in the 40s at Blue mtn. shelter and everyone was soaking with sweat under their rain gear. What misery.

Oh, and I had no dry t-shirt because I left it at Walasi-yi.

My big dilemna is whether to take frogg toggs or use a poncho arrangement. I sweat like crazy in rain gear.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

My Golite poncho weighs 10oz and packs to the size of a softball. Might as well bring it.

Mountain Laurel Designs makes a poncho thats only 3.6 oz but costs $170. The Golite is just $50 bucks, or you can make one yourself.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
    Scenario: You're going on a 3-4 day section hike and loading your pack. There is no rain in the forecast.

Question: Do you still take rain gear?

If not, what is the "x% chance of rain" that you do take something to wear that'll keep you dry?

My thinking is that if there is no rain in the forecast and I'm only going to be out 3-4 days then I could (maybe?) get away with taking my .99 cent Wally World emergency poncho. Anything over 20% I'll switch to my DriDucks. What gives me pause with this plan is that the whole DriDucks ensemble only weighs 9 oz - why not just take them and leave the elcheapo poncho at home......

Thanks,
    Thomas
    ======================================

Personally, I always take some form of rain gear. Most often it is just a lightweight (6 ounce) silnylon anorak pullover. Depending on the season and temperatures though, I generally don't actually end up wearing it.

Hiking in raingear is like hiking in a sauna - breathable or nonbreathable types. If the rain starts falling on a warm day, as long as my pack/contents stay dry I don't mind getting wet ...in fact it can be downright refreshing.

That said, if there is alot of moisture in the air from fog or rain and the temps are low you are well advised to wear some form of barrier to hold body temperature in and avoid evaporative cooling which can bring on hypothermia.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

In the summer when I know it can't get dangerously cold (low altitude) I only take an emergency poncho. I figure I'll get wet and then dry out.

Being wet correlates with two of the survival goals; stay warm and have shelter. Either don't get wet or have a quick option to get dry and stay dry. For short weather events rain gear seems to be the most convenient, quickest and perhaps most effective way to make sure you stay dry.

But it's not an absolute. Depending on conditions and where you are, a 'little' wet is easily tolerated. If you get caught in a thunderstorm without rain gear it's much easier to recover if you're in the arid Rocky Mountain west in August than if you're on the damp AT in April.

Watch the forecasts and pack accordingly. But, IMO, the further away from 'civilization' you are and the more mountainous the trail area, the less reliable the weather forecasts. Personally, I don't go out with anything less than a lightweight silnylon poncho (which has dual use). I also have a lightweight rain suit and heavier ponchos and GoreTex parkas. I seldom carry those but, given our multi-year drought, I seldom see rain, either. (I've worn rain gear once this decade )

Match your rain gear with where you are when for how long.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

I always carry something. If anything, you can improvise with your groundcloth/tarp/tentfly, but that's not alot of fun. Risking hypothermia to save 6 ounces ain't worth it to me.

Images

My mottos is always "BE PREPARED"just like in the BSA.Weather patterns are forever changing,some on short notice.I like to pack Dri-Ducks just in case and at only 9oz is better than risking hypothermia.

Images

My Golite poncho weighs 10oz and packs to the size of a softball. Might as well bring it.
    I agree. Mine is a homemade poncho that weighs 7oz. It doesn't make sense not to take it.

Here is my bare minimum for a 3-5 day in summer:
    0. Some sort of runner that isn't too heavy when wet.
    1. 1oz 1pr wool dress socks.
    2. 4oz polyester skin layer pants.
    3. 6oz nylon hiking shorts
    4. 8oz merino wool shirt
    5. 4oz nylon wind shirt
    6. wide brimmed hat
    7. 9oz rain poncho/tarp incl. cord/nails
    8. blue foam pad
    9. sleeping bag or quilt or blanket
    10. all that other stuff

I don't always put the wind shirt or poncho on when it rains, but I think I would leave my sleeping bag home before I would leave my rain gear home. If I was to be hiking in full sun I would likely bring a white long sleeved polyester skin layer shirt also, for sun protection.

One trip a few years back, I was planning a trip and the weather forcast called for a 0% chance of rain. I almost left my rain gear at home, but I am glad I didn't. It rained HARD for 9 hours straight the second day of the trip. Temps were in the 50's so I probably wouldn't have died without my raingear, but I would have been very uncofortable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++