WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    Me, too...in the winter. In the summer I wouldn't think of bringing one.

Seriously, there's a difference between what you might die if you don't have it; what you'll be suffer if you don't have it; and what you'll be bored/uncomfortable/whiney if you don't have it.

Leaving category 1 things behind is just stupid. A few people choose to leave category 2 things out of their packs and just hang tough. Category 3 items can make a hike more enjoyable.

There's enough traffic on the AT, and it's close enough to civilization that you will likely be rescued even if you omit category 1 items...but everyone will think you're an idiot.
    If you're a beginner and you leave some Catagory 1 items behind, it's forgivable ONCE. We've all done stupid things out of ignorance on occasion. But don't expect a bail-out if you keep doing it - a working definition of insanity would be: doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result!

I have a problem with personal locator beacons - and cell phones, for that matter - because they tend to give the user a sense that "I can screw up, and somebody will bail me out". What ever happened to the idea of going out PREPARED, so that nobody needed to bail you out?

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    ...What ever happened to the idea of going out PREPARED, so that nobody needed to bail you out?
    Whatever happened to the theory that S#!T Happens. But I agree, some people do put too much faith in certain "safe guards", they're just tools, not guarantees.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    .....a good practice? Or waste of energy?

I realize the AT is close to civilization in most places, and read so many threads about leaving essential stuff out of the long hikes. Rain Gear, maps, nail clippers, tents, etc.

Is it better to run on the edge or be prepared for the unexpected? Is self sufficiency overkill on the AT?

Discuss.
    Good practice to take care of your own self. Waste of energy to think of ways to cut corners and save a few measly oz's only to find yourself unprepared in the event you find trouble at your doorstep.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

thru-hikers have no sympathy for the unprepared.
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    there's nothing to discuss. be prepared or suffer
    Couldnt be said better. If your looking to lighten the load, there is a lot of light gear out there. You should always have the essentials however (section map, weather gear,etc)
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Quote Originally Posted by AT-HITMAN2005 View Post
    thru-hikers have no sympathy for the unprepared.
    lots of so-called thru-hikers ARE unprepared

Images

there is a big difference between thruhikers and life long backpackers like most of us here on WB..alot of thruhikers are 1st timers who learn as they go. usually they have everthing they need to start and as they head up the trail they get rid of some unwanted gear items that are troublesome in one way or another. seems most thruhikers learn the art of long distance hiking as it comes at them...

backpackers like most of us just dont care much about being prepared because it is 2nd nature to be prepared. after years of backpacking you learn what comes on the trail and what stays home but all in all its different strokes for different folks.. "what you talkin bout willis"....................bring what you think is going to be needed, its better to have than have not!!!!!!

You don't need to bring everything you might possibly need, and you can't possibly think of everything, but you should never go with the intention of depending on others, and you should always be prepared for find yourself unprepared. For example, you don't need extra batteries for something you really didn't need to bring along to begin with, but its sometimed a good idea to use nails instead of tent pegs and cord for a belt or for your tarp that is the same as your shoe laces, and some way of cutting it, your lighter if nothing else. I take very little, but I always have enough to get by. Sometimes the less you bring the more self-sufficient you are, if you do it right and understand what you are doing and where you are going. Go with what you know.

It's nice to be able to hike without being dependant on brand names.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    You don't need to bring everything you might possibly need, and you can't possibly think of everything, but you should never go with the intention of depending on others, and you should always be prepared for find yourself unprepared.
    This is kinda what I was getting at. Read a lot of advice to prepare for the optimum conditions instead of the realistic.

"what are the odds it'll rain"
    "someone will let you peek at their map"
    "someone will have a match"
    "someone will spare some food"

Believer it or not, realistically, you can spend a night on the AT in an tentsite or shelter with no one else around. And I agree that it is alotta newbies asking questions, but you would think those of us giving advice would want them to be even more prepared?

Quote Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
    Don't leave home with out it. And 3 extra candles.

Thomas

ps. but seriously, I had to spend the night alone at Jerry Cabin shelter while it was pouring down rain. I lit my candle lantern and hung it from a food hanger and it really cheered me up.

I like my candle lantern.
    OMG, how did you manage to survive a rainy night in a shelter?

Well that's just being nasty.

Don't be mocking the bond that develops between a lonely hiker and his candle lantern.
    Very bad karma.

Images

I have always had to take care of myself, even as a kid growing up. Why should the AT be any differant.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Well...

Quote Originally Posted by whitefoot_hp View Post
    OMG, how did you manage to survive a rainy night in a shelter?
    It was tough, let me tell you. If I had any idea that hiking was going to involve getting wet and spending the night by myself in a shelter I would have stuck with making potholders.

As it is, I have much money tied up in it to quit so I'm just going to have to deal.....

Thanks
    Thomas

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Well that's just being nasty.

Don't be mocking the bond that develops between a lonely hiker and his candle lantern.
    Very bad karma.
    Best $10 I ever spent! Man, I love that thing.

Thomas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++