WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

There are a number of REI stores in the Atlanta area. You can find them at www.rei.com . There will be a lot of great gear in the stores. Go to the biggest store, it will have more variety. A lot of the employees are knowledgable, ask them many have hiked the AT. But, the really important part is to get your pack fitted, put some weight in the pack and walk around, see how it feels. It's nice to be able to put your hands on the gear, weigh it, see how it works, etc.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

I'll answer your question about packs

Osprey
    Granite Gear
    Kelty
    ULA

are just some of the packs I can think of offhand. Going to Neel's Gap at Mountain Crossings is a great idea. That's where I got my ULA pack. I would NOT go to a big chain outfitters unless you know someone that works there that has done a thru hike. They'll sell you all kinds of crap you don't need. Do a search on here on backpacks. I'm not familiar with a lot of the most popular packs since I'm happy with what I've bought and not looking. I also have a kelty external frame, the Trekker. Love both my packs.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Big chain stores do not have the expertise or the equipment you'll want for a thru-hike. You'll walk out with heavy gear and a light wallet.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Oh, and I responded to Blissful's comments by PM. I

Images

There's no reason not to go to both REI and Mountain Crossings. Take a gear list with you, see what they have. Do not buy anything during your first visits. Go home. Cool off. Rank things you need from most expensive to cheapest. Generally speaking, a good sleeping bag is the most expensive item in your pack. Get that first. How much or how little padding you'll want under you when you sleep. Decide on your tent. Your cooking system. Your clothes. Get four days' worth of food. When you've got all that together, then it's time to look at packs.

The thing about a place like REI is that they have so much stuff you'll probably end up with all sorts of stuff you don't need--a coffee pot, multiple cook pots, some heavy-duty rope (for the bear bag), maybe a GPS...

Mountain Crossings has more limited stock but it's very much aimed at long-distance hikers. If you shop there, you'll probably buy fewer items, so you can afford to spend more on each one, and you'll probably get it right the first time.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Default More packs

First of all, welcome to WB!!!

I'll second the recommendation of going to Mountain Crossings and trying on some packs..... And don't buy one until you have your gear...

As far as another line of packs, I can recommend the GoLite brand of packs.... I am the proud owner of a GoLite Pinnacle, which is about a 4000 cu.in pack... I'm able to put my hammock, the rain fly, sleeping gear, clothes, food, and stove all inside of it... The pack itself weighs in at 25 oz.

The ULA line of packs are also very good, and many people are fond of them. I don't have any personal experience with them, so I won't comment on it.

Enjoy!

Randy

Thumbs up Thanks guys!

This is good information. I have a sleeping bag I got a long time ago but I really don't know any stats. If I had to guess I'd say it's somewhat shady. It's a mummy style (I think) and it's made of some kind of plasticy-nylony-fabric. I'll probably bring it with me and have them tell me if it blows or not.

Now I just need to decide if I want to get the Tarptent Contrail or a hammock! Decisions decisions...

Others have mentioned it before, I haven't done it myself though but... REI will rent you equipment. That is a thought if you do some weekend hikes, that way you can play before you decide. Another thought, do a bit of North Carolina too while doing Georgia. Welcome and I know you'll get coming back for more.

Images

Ya, REI rents equipment, but it's usually not the best gear for a thru hike. We are lucky here in Nashville to have people that have thru hiked working there. Can't say that's true for all of them. Can't go wrong with a Tarptent. I have a Squall and love it. Hammocks are a good choice too. Tough making that decision. Being female, I like the privacy of a tent. Hard to get dressed in a hammock.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

There are plenty of places to camp on the AT in the south, if you carry in your own water.. I liked to camp near a water source so I would have plenty to cook dinner and breakfast.. Check out the Appalachian Pages ,
    or AT Companion, available online, to find out where the campsites and springs are.

Also I bought a whole lot of used equipment which served me well through the whole thru hike.. there is a used gear forum here, or if you know what you are looking for then you get look on ebay.

Look at some gear lists that others have posted here. While everyone makes different decisions, you'll find a lot of commonality. for example, you'll find a lot of people suggest not skimping on a sleeping bag (or quilt, in a hammock), and maybe a decent pack (but not super expensive). Other than this, you can do everything else for pretty cheap. You have plenty of time. don't buy anything until you've read 10 gear lists.

I would go with a down lightweight sleeping bag, an alcohol stove, a silnylon tarp tent, by six moons or Henry Shires... A lot of people use the ULA or the Granite Gear Vapor Trail.. These are not available at the outfitters but they are real good.. Get your torso measured at the outfitters.... And compared with what is out there you probably should replace your sleeping bag...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    Ya, REI rents equipment, but it's usually not the best gear for a thru hike.
    True, but it does give you a chance to get out and hike with gear, without buying it. Then start thinking on your own about what works what doesn't prior to spending lots of cash. Nice to have a little first hand experience.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Welcome, Freedomclub!

There are lots of experts here on WB. They really know their stuff. All the different perspectives are valuable.

For gear, make sure you check out Goodwill and the Salvation Army. I have gotten 2 NorthFace sleeping bags, both synthetic but in excellent condition, and a pretty good semi-rectangular down bag (no-name). Paid no more than $7.50 for any of them. Kind of lucky finds, but i got one in Crawfordsville, Indianna on a business trip. Shipped it home via UPS for $7. Not bad for a 20dF North Face synthetic bag!

You can find great deals on clothing: merino-wool sweaters, vests and even cashmere sweaters. Never paid more than $5 for any of it. Wool clothing is preferred by many (though it is a bit heavier than synthetic "petro-clothes") because it is more comfortable over a wider temp range, and they don;y stink after sweating in them. Also look f or silk shirts, which do great in hot weather, and also don't stink as bad.

Also, I'd go slow before jumping into hammocks. That means, learn ground camping some, and borrow someone else's hammock if you can for at least a night. Or visit Just Jeff's camping site for instructions to make a cheap ($10) "test-hammock. http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Listen to people who really use the gear, not just salespeople. I used to sell adventure gear, and I used to sell people more than they really needed, mostly cause I didn't know any better.
    I walk the line.

Images

ula pack
    henry shires tarptent
    western mountaineering sleeping bag
    caldera cone stove and pot

with these i believe you will be going first class

Images

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    True, but it does give you a chance to get out and hike with gear, without buying it. Then start thinking on your own about what works what doesn't prior to spending lots of cash. Nice to have a little first hand experience.
    This is true, and you can rent the big ticket items to check out how your other gear works; water filter, stove, etc....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by thecaptain View Post
    ula pack
    henry shires tarptent
    western mountaineering sleeping bag
    caldera cone stove and pot

with these i believe you will be going first class
    yup, I have the first two on this list and I saw a caldera cone stove at the SoRuck this last weekend. Tin Man sells them at antigravitygear.com. saaweeet!! I may have to invest in one of those......

Default Welcome to the real world

Great advice from Boudin and Grandma. Do get fitted for your pack! It's not a bad idea to get fitted for a sleeping bag also. Mountain Crossing is a great place for this. The staff there are hiking people and will spend all the time you need to get things right.
    Get a few miles on your boots, spend a couple of nights out camping, and you'll be just as good a backpacker as anyone on this site! It's all about freedom to go and do what makes you happy. That the beauty in what we do!
    Happy trails
    Moses

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++