WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    weasel is right. i removed my post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Tell you what. Stop judging people, and maybe they will do the same.
    Thanks, Wolf. You're a good man, even when we differ.

As for JAK, well, I respect Wolf.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    My apologizes to all offended by my poor choice of forum category for this story.
    It turns out to be non-humorus.
    I'll be in the doghouse
    I'll bring you some biscuits and gravy. Good boy. Sit. Stay.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I We don't even know it this is a real story, so don't go totally nuts.

It is a real story.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

As I said, the article was poorly written from a factual point of view. It raises a lot of hypothetical questions and possibilities, some of which are serious, and some of which are not. It might be in bad taste to comment on one possibility in the context of another possibility, but as long as you aren't judging this person specifically, I don't see the issue.

Humour is not the enemy here. Judging other people is.

Find one of my posts that was in bad taste and I will apologize.

Go **** yourselves.

Images

Weasel, I don't neccessarily disagree with you, but my question is who and/or what do you think gives you the right to tell me or anyone else what to think? What to think about what is humorus or what is serious. Or for that matter about anything else?

So I do have a Mom, daughters and sister that I care about and respect. Yet I can and will disagree with you. I respect your right to say what you think, how about you respect everyone else's.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

She was found alive and is being cared for. Chill. It's all OK. And it's a funny story without the sordid details.
    Poor Woodsy. Always getting in trouble for innocuous threads.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    The ranger that was found dead in the Whites a couple of winters ago had removed much of his outer clothing before he died.

Weary
    As mentioned, Mt. Sanitas is a very popular local hiking area. Though it is only (at most) a 1/2 hr walk from downtown (and bumps against residential areas), it is in the foothills.

On a cold, nasty day with a person who may not be prepared for the weather, bad things can happen.

Bad things can happen to happen to experienced people as well as shown by the ranger incident.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    She was found alive and is being cared for. Chill. It's all OK. And it's a funny story without the sordid details.
    Poor Woodsy. Always getting in trouble for innocuous threads.
    I have to apologize you for my posts the other day. Got you mixed up in my head with the Weasel somehow. Sorry about that.

Weasel, nothing personal, but don't get so damned personal.
    Humour isn't the main problem with this thread. Judging people without all the facts is.
    So don't be a hypocrit, like me.

I have to apologize you for my posts the other day. Got you mixed up in my head with the Weasel somehow. Sorry about that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Weasel, I don't neccessarily disagree with you, but my question is who and/or what do you think gives you the right to tell me or anyone else what to think? What to think about what is humorus or what is serious. Or for that matter about anything else?

So I do have a Mom, daughters and sister that I care about and respect. Yet I can and will disagree with you. I respect your right to say what you think, how about you respect everyone else's.
    Enviro, you're not making sense. On the one hand, you "respect [my] right to say what I think." And I think that the "humor" here about a disoriented young woman stumbling nude along a trail in freezing temps is sick. OK? Especially in the context of still-active threads about a young woman of the same age whose decapitated body was found in freezing temperatures along a trail. So if someone has the right to say that sort of thing is "humorous" - and I appreciate it a lot that Woodsy agrees this was a poor subforum - then I have the right to say that those who see humor in such a situation are sick. As I said, if you really think it's funny, well, they'd be no less funny in the "Meredith" threads. Go ahead.

So I respect your right to post here and say your say, even when I disagree. But it works both ways.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Find one of my posts that was in bad taste and I will apologize.

Go **** yourselves.
    "Stunt"? That maybe it was just a sunny day?

You don't need to apologize. I wasn't speaking of your attempts to minimize this attempt at "humor". But you weren't the epitome of sensitive, either.

TW

Oh my goodness. Can we say cabin fever anyone? The thread starter has already apologized for his error in starting this in the humor forum.

In light of Mags letting us know that this is indeed a real story I am now moving this thread to the Colorado Trails Forum.

ETA... Can we all settle down now, please?

Images

Since it is no longer in the humor forum, please delete my post, thanks.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Since it is no longer in the humor forum, please delete my post, thanks.
    taken care of

Humour is not the enemy here. Judging other people is.
    I suspect there may be some personality and (sub)culture differences here.

I hope that all of us care deeply about women (and men) being safe on the trail (and in other settings). I hope we would each do what we can to be helpful to someone in this kind of situation.

For Weasel, any kind of joke about this situation is a sign of not caring or of being disrespectful of the woman. For some of us, there can be humorous aspects to what is a genuinely tragic situation.

So Weasel is telling us this offends him, because any joke involving this kind of tragic situation is offensive to him. Some of us regularly joke about even tragic situations we find ourselves in, so we're going to feel differently about this.

The fact is, people who care about the woman in this story may nevertheless have different feelings about whether certain jokes are funny. We can try to understand each other, but I doubt we'll change each other.

Jonathan

Images

And my posts criticising it for being in 'humor' and flowing from that can be deleted as well.

TW

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bootstrap View Post
    I suspect there may be some personality and (sub)culture differences here.

I hope that all of us care deeply about women (and men) being safe on the trail (and in other settings). I hope we would each do what we can to be helpful to someone in this kind of situation.

For Weasel, any kind of joke about this situation is a sign of not caring or of being disrespectful of the woman. For some of us, there can be humorous aspects to what is a genuinely tragic situation.

So Weasel is telling us this offends him, because any joke involving this kind of tragic situation is offensive to him. Some of us regularly joke about even tragic situations we find ourselves in, so we're going to feel differently about this.

The fact is, people who care about the woman in this story may nevertheless have different feelings about whether certain jokes are funny. We can try to understand each other, but I doubt we'll change each other.

Jonathan
    Bootstrap, that's a thoughtful post, and I understand what you are saying. But there are a lot of people here who still feel very raw, and very threatened, and very deeply distressed about another young woman who may have been in a similar set of circumstances only a few weeks ago. There are times, and places, for humor about some things that are just inappropriate at other times. This is one such time.

TW

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    And I think that the "humor" here about a disoriented young woman stumbling nude along a trail in freezing temps is sick.
    Weasel, does this feel to you like it's making fun of her, or an expression of not caring?

Jonathan

Images

Jon-

First, placing it in the 'humor' section (since apologized for and changed) is, yes, 'making fun' of her. So is "I don't get it. I do most of my naked hiking in the summer." And yes, so it " think the caller was quoted as saying she was "pretty hot"." As was the comment that "at least she wasn't wearing cotton." Other comments - most removed - about maybe she was a druggy or a hippie (which, to some, may be redundant) were just insensitive. As for 'not caring', people aren't required to care about everyone on the planet (it would be nice, but it's not required that I know of), but making light of this kind of situation is out of line.

TW

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++