WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    Images

Those are very similar to the techniques that we taught for scuba rescues as well. Biggest difference being when you come up behind them, grab their 1st stage valve at the top of the tank, pull them up and back and lock their tank between your legs, reach around and inflate their BCD and pulled them in holding the tank valve.

It's a little easier, if done right, with that tank and BCD between you. They have a much more difficult time reaching around and grabbing you.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Those are very similar to the techniques that we taught for scuba rescues as well. Biggest difference being when you come up behind them, grab their 1st stage valve at the top of the tank, pull them up and back and lock their tank between your legs, reach around and inflate their BCD and pulled them in holding the tank valve.

It's a little easier, if done right, with that tank and BCD between you. They have a much more difficult time reaching around and grabbing you.
    Never did the SCUBA rescue thing. In fact, never did SCUBA at all. Snorkelling - yes. SCUBA rescue sounds a bit more involved.

Images

Actually it's a bit easier IMO. For 1 thing you are both wearing flotation devices (Bouancy Compensating Devices, BCD) that you can put air in and float. Some of the tasks are difficult, but the class was excellent fun. Lot's of role playing, we probably used the same equpiment that you did. Boogie boards, throw ropes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Lot's of role playing, .
    Weird. We never did that.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Took it, taught it, advance life gaurding, water safety instructor, blah, blah, but it's been quite a few years since my cert. was current. Good stuff to know though.
    flashbacks of the videos......"grab on!!.....grab on!!"......and swapping spit for rubbing alcohol with ressesive annie

did you ever have to backboard anyone or do actual CPR....scary stuff

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Weird. We never did that.
    Really, that was the best part. Sometimes the "victims" were brutal on the rescuer, while still playing the part. If you messed up you paid the price. Very effective to drive home a point and well controlled w/ instructors in the water with "victims" and students.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    did you ever have .... do actual CPR....scary stuff
    Yes, on a four month old baby who had a seizure while I was taking her to visit her mother... scary, scary stuff.

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Yes, on a four month old baby who had a seizure while I was taking her to visit her mother... scary, scary stuff.
    i have backboarded three times...one serious..... and only witnessed CPR.....i have been close a hand full of times.....spend most of your life around pools and it is bound to find you sooner or later

How did that turn out FD? Good I'm hoping.
    How do you think it might have turned out without the training?

i have backboarded three times...one serious..... and only witnessed CPR.....i have been close a hand full of times.....spend most of your life around pools and it is bound to find you sooner or later
    I sort of rescued rescued a kid in a pool once. It was at a mixed barbeque party (kids and drinks) and I thought most parents were a little distracted so I kinda kept half an eye on the pool. Sure enough this little fellow went in the depend and wasn't making it back to the side so I just sort of hopped in mid sentence, clothes and all, pushed him to his mom, then went back to finish my sentence. It was funny in a way. I think I was still talking when I hit the water.

What the heck is a depend? I gotta get back to checking my posts.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    How did that turn out FD? Good I'm hoping.
    How do you think it might have turned out without the training?
    I was able to revive her - she was an abused child with 'shaken baby' syndrome - had some serious brain damage. It took several months to find a combo of meds that would control her seizures. Not sure of the long-term outcome as she was adopted by a family not in this area when she was 15 months old.

As to how it would have turned out had I not been required to know infant and child CPR - not nearly as well as it did.

I think I'm overdue on some refresher training. I hang out with kids enough you never know. Thanks for the reminder FD.

Oh. And well done of course. Sad about the abuse. Alcohol fetal syndrome makes for many sad situations also. Some kids just don't seem to have a chance. Good to have some folks like you around when God needs to place his hand. Catcher in the Rye and all.

Images

flashbacks of the videos......"grab on!!.....grab on!!"......and swapping spit for rubbing alcohol with ressesive annie

did you ever have to backboard anyone or do actual CPR....scary stuff
    Yes, a number of years back, CPR to my mother. Found her too late for ultimate survival although her heart/breathing restarted. It can work.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I was able to revive her - she was an abused child with 'shaken baby' syndrome - had some serious brain damage. It took several months to find a combo of meds that would control her seizures. Not sure of the long-term outcome as she was adopted by a family not in this area when she was 15 months old.
    Apparently, when babies are crying and screaming them, shaking babies quiets them very effectively and makes them look content - while doing irreparable nerve damage and possibly endangering their lives. So some uneducated but well-meaning parents shake their kids as a way of comforting them. Scary.

Jonathan

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++