WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 115 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Default Karl Meltzer Speed Hike Attempt

This guy has the resume to take his attempt seriously.
    ====
    Beginning August 5th on the summit of Mt. Kathadin I will begin my quest to run to Georgia faster than anyone else has. Andrew Thompson currently holds the record of 47 days and change. A stiff record that will be tough to challenge. GPS tracking and daily updates will give the world a chance to watch a goat run through the woods…all day long! Any takers or supporters out there? I welcome any assistance, but will NOT be muled in any form. To leave a comment click on the comments above right. -Speedgoat Karl

http://karlmeltzer.com/

Images

I'm not laughing at this one. Go, Karl!
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

he's the real deal. smart starting at Katahdin too. i tried to get Pete Palmer to start there too but he wouldn't

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Published by admin on January 8, 2008

nice to see that wild cowboy is inspiring speed hikers all across the country

now if we could only get them to start on the same day and make it a race......cowboy would blow him away according to his prophesy......cannonball run AT style

Are there any good links that might have data on how many calories these guys eat and burn, as a function of distance, elevation gain, and total weight on feet? I am also curious how many calories these guys burn when sleeping at night, whether all the repairs that are going on in their bodies might actually help keep them warm at night, or how much more insulation they might need at night because they have less body fat and more need for rest?

I'm no knocking these guys, but it would be nice to see more data.

Seeing people like this only makes me feel more sorry for WildCowboy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Are there any good links that might have data on how many calories these guys eat and burn, as a function of distance, elevation gain, and total weight on feet? I am also curious how many calories these guys burn when sleeping at night, whether all the repairs that are going on in their bodies might actually help keep them warm at night, or how much more insulation they might need at night because they have less body fat and more need for rest?

I'm no knocking these guys, but it would be nice to see more data.
    I heard a talk by Flyin' Brian Robinson about his hike planning. He used 6000 calories a day as his target for food. He started thin and could not afford to run at a deficit.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

This is why I like the metric system. I just try and do some of the same stuff, but in metric. It still ain't easy, and most of it still ain't doable, but its fun trying.

Run a kilometer in 4 minutes. 26 kilometer marathon. Perhaps a 100km ultra.
    Usually I'm just happy hiking 20 kilometers per day, instead of trying for 20 miles.

The weight lifting in metric sure sucks though.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

He's cheating. It's downhill from Katahdin.

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    I agree, also the mountains are all lower on the north sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I agree, also the mountains are all lower on the north sides.
    Yep you can run down hill and brake your leg

It is always about what lies beyond the end... Javasanctum's Avatar

Where is the link to off-trail betting?

Definitely looks like this guy has the background to do it. I also note that instead of bragging, he says it will be a tough record to beat.

Best of luck to him in his attempt.

Default "Clean the AT"

Thanks for all the good words! I'll need lots of good vibes to hang in for at least 47 days. I am also coordinating an effort to "Clean the AT". With my support crew and the help of many who will provide mental support and crewing duties, we will attempt to pick up more garbage bags than days spent on the trail. Hopefully the number is low, but unfortunately after running on the AT in Pennsylvania two weeks ago, I could have picked up 25 bags at two trailheads. I thought that was a shame, so I thought it would be a good idea to pick it up. I may be from Utah, but we're all in this together, come join us and bring a garbage bag. Help us do more than just run/hike it! For more info on our "Clean the AT" project and the tracking devices I'll be using continue to check in at karlmeltzer.com these next 7 months!http://www.karlmeltzer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    he's the real deal. smart starting at Katahdin too. i tried to get Pete Palmer to start there too but he wouldn't
    L. Wolf, is that you who posted on Meltzer's site volunteering to help in Virginia?

And you are going to see Lonnie off at Springer. When will you have time for hiking?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgoat Karl View Post
    ...we will attempt to pick up more garbage bags than days spent on the trail....
    You'll be able to attain that goal by just picking up trash at that road crossing near US19E, between Roan Mountain, Tn & Elk Park, NC.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgoat Karl View Post
    ... I am also coordinating an effort to "Clean the AT". With my support crew and the help of many who will provide mental support and crewing duties, we will attempt to pick up more garbage bags than days spent on the trail. Hopefully the number is low, but unfortunately after running on the AT in Pennsylvania two weeks ago, I could have picked up 25 bags at two trailheads. I thought that was a shame, so I thought it would be a good idea to pick it up. I may be from Utah, but we're all in this together, come join us and bring a garbage bag. Help us do more than just run/hike it! For more info on our "Clean the AT" project and the tracking devices I'll be using continue to check in at karlmeltzer.com these next 7 months!http://www.karlmeltzer.com
    That is absolutely fabulous! I always pick up a few things on a hike, and I try to do as much as I can. It really makes me sad to see junk lying around where it doesn't need to be. I think it is a beautiful idea to promote this with your record attempt. If Fishing Fred is around, maybe he can make some plastic bags up with an appropriate motto. Make it the fashion statement of the 2008 class! "My Rain Gear Packs S***!" Nah, somebody here can come up with a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post

Nah, it's all uphill until Clingman's, after that it's a breeze.

Finally, after listening to both an imposter and an unrealistic hiker, it is nice to see a serious contender to the AT supported endurance record. He will find out how tough Grierson, Horton, Palmer and Thompson were.

It will be interesting to follow his progress along with Jennifer Pharr's sobo attempt at the unsupported women's AT endurance record (i.e., 93 days).
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

but will NOT be muled in any form.
    What does that mean?

Page 1 of 115 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++