WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 53 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 2284
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Finishing this, a high miles high speed end-to-end of the AT, will be a remakable achivement whether he breaks the record or not.
    Good luck to him!
    Unhow. It's easy (and fun) to be critical, but the guy is really doing pretty neat things (despite what a few people are saying). I just looked over the profile maps from Grafton Notch to Gorham and that is one hell of a day hike, pack or no pack.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I just looked over the profile maps from Grafton Notch to Gorham and that is one hell of a day hike, pack or no pack.
    when i was supporting Maineak we left Gorham at 5:30am, arrived at Grafton Notch around 7:00pm then he continued on another 10 miles to East B Hill rd. finishing around 1:00am. pretty long day.

At 9:54AM Karl was at Lakes Of The Clouds, mile 333.8 having done the stretch from the summit at about 4MPH.,

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    At 9:54AM Karl was at Lakes Of The Clouds, mile 333.8 having done the stretch from the summit at about 4MPH.,
    yeah, he'll move along pretty quick to crawford

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    The railroad grade on the other side of Crawford should really allow him to fly.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

usually confused but never lost Fannypack's Avatar

Nice to see he is from NH and that he has always wanted to hike the AT, see article here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40143

From what i read in the article, I can't tell how many RV drivers he will have but hopefully the drivers (could be a weak link in his plan) have some familiarity with the trail . Of course, i sure hope the RV doesn't break down.

Btw, i noticed way back at the beginning of his hike that his resting heart rate was 42 bpm. That is unblieveable.

Good luck karl.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Guess the short day yesterday helped him. Wow.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Fannypack View Post

Btw, i noticed way back at the beginning of his hike that his resting heart rate was 42 bpm. That is unblieveable.

Good luck karl.
    Runners tend to have that. Mine is often 48 in the evening, going as high as about 60. And I'm overweight and don't run. Used to drive the nurses at the blood bank crazy when they took my pulse, because they always had to call a supervisor over to question me.

Images

He is making tracks now.

Anyone know if he is carrying the new, more powerful Spot device?

Either way...

Go Karl!

Images

when i was supporting Maineak we left Gorham at 5:30am, arrived at Grafton Notch around 7:00pm then he continued on another 10 miles to East B Hill rd. finishing around 1:00am. pretty long day.
    That is hard to fathom, quite a feat. I hiked Gorham to Baldplate lean-to in 2 days and thought that was a butt-kicker!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Runners tend to have that. Mine is often 48 in the evening, going as high as about 60. And I'm overweight and don't run. Used to drive the nurses at the blood bank crazy when they took my pulse, because they always had to call a supervisor over to question me.
    Same here. Resting heart rates are to a large extend hereditary. Mine ranges from the mid 40s to mid 50s and I CAN'T run.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Same here. Resting heart rates are to a large extend hereditary. Mine ranges from the mid 40s to mid 50s and I CAN'T run.
    I'll add that along with a great pulse rate, I have high blood pressure. For that, I thank my maternal grandfather and my mother. As well as my propensity to cram things in my pie hole.

This seems like a really good decision! One of the 'easier' stretches up north and he needed to start making his mileage goal. The Crawford path stretch and the stretch to Zealand Falls will give him about 15 (?) easy miles.

I'm also guessing he really got anxious sitting around yesterday afternoon thinking "This is no way to set a record!"

Gravity

LW...he faked us out with this big day in the whites. pretty ballsy. he's got the tunes cranked and he is flying up there. cool stuff. goats like rocks........

Journal Entries
    Images

This is excellent.

Go Karl!

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gravityman View Post
    I'm also guessing he really got anxious sitting around yesterday afternoon thinking "This is no way to set a record!"

Gravity
    i'm sure youre correct about that!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Has he made it down to Crawford Notch yet? Hope to get a blog update from whereskarl at some point today.

One thing I think would be cool from the whereskarl site would be a quick video diary with karl's thoughts at the beginning/end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Poison View Post
    Has he made it down to Crawford Notch yet? Hope to get a blog update from whereskarl at some point today.

One thing I think would be cool from the whereskarl site would be a quick video diary with karl's thoughts at the beginning/end of the day.
    he was around mt. pierce around 11:00am which left him 7 more miles to crawford. he should be there real soon. i hope he likes night hiking. the moon's almost full

he was around mt. pierce around 11:00am which left him 7 more miles to crawford. he should be there real soon. i hope he likes night hiking. the moon's almost full
    I bet he's looking forward to hiking Franconia Ridge in the dark if he's not beat up too bad.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Good morning.. err afternoon. Anyone try and see karl and company on th Mt Washington webcam?

I wonder how many other sites/people are following Karl's hike as intently?

Page 53 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3 43 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 63 103 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++