WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 83 of 115 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,660 of 2284
    Images

Interesting that Karl's SPOT only shows his location at road crossings lately.

Happy hiking!

TTF

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97 View Post
    Interesting that Karl's SPOT only shows his location at road crossings lately.

Happy hiking!

TTF
    I think this is expected SPOT peformance at this point...only working in clearings.

Images

Good point : )

Happy hiking!

TTF

Quote Originally Posted by 1camper View Post
    What you can't see is that the guy on the left is actually CARRYING his sleeping bag, and it is just as big as his buddy's bag. They did inform me that it was there first overnight trip. Both were young chaps, and stoked to be out on the trail.

Not really a rare photo. You can see this at least once everyday between 3/1 and 4/10 on the approach trail.

geek

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    as of 1:30 he had another 12.9 to Jug End rd. he should finish around 5:00
    You may be right Lone Wolf as you have been so far at where he would stop each day. I am wondering though if his leg feels good enough will he try to go further to Summit Rd or Bear Mountain Rd. Are those roadsable to get to by the RV?

Default Totals Day 22

Total are up on his site for Day 22, Tuesday. 12 hours and 21 minutes - 44 miles. That's an average of 3.56 mph.

Hey Lone Wolf do you have a hot line to the Karl crew? You're on it with the day ends.

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelmary View Post

Hey Lone Wolf do you have a hot line to the Karl crew? You're on it with the day ends.
    nah, i'm just good at support crew stuff. i'm thinkin Cornwall Bridge today. Kent if he's really feeling good. although this stretch ain't flat by any means

Journal Entries
    Images

nah, i'm just good at support crew stuff. i'm thinkin Cornwall Bridge today. Kent if he's really feeling good. although this stretch ain't flat by any means
    Be sure to check out the movie the movie link that Warren sent over to www.whereskarl.com

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Be sure to check out the movie the movie link that Warren sent over to www.whereskarl.com

i really don't think warren sent that. i think the crew is just havin' fun

I was just checking out the terrain and handbook and was figuring the same. Did you see Karl was up at midnight and posted? Hope he has a good day today without much pain. And best of luck to all the NOBOers that are in the Whites about now.

2010 complete

I think that he can start cruising by lunch; right thru CT, NY, NJ and PA.

Images

Did you see Karl was up at midnight and posted? Hope he has a good day today without much pain. And best of luck to all the NOBOers that are in the Whites about now.
    Good insight to Karl's injury based on his latest post. It seems like the leg is slowly getting better.

2010 complete

i really don't think warren sent that. i think the crew is just havin' fun
    It does look like the streets of Great Barrington where they stopped for laundry, shopping, etc. while waiting for Karl to run/walk/limp 18 more unexpected miles for the day.

Storyteller
    Images

If he gets elected, will he make Warren the Secretary of Education? Or just poet laureate?

Actually, the video comes from here.

Now that is what I call great new technology! I am making a list right now of who all I will be sending one to.

Looks like Karl is moving slow this morning. Hope that leg is okay. With the pain he has been having the last several days while moving on, he has put in some good mileage. Hope he's not rushing recovery. I was excited yesterday when he was at a good pace but worried now after his post at midnight. Thoughts and well wishes and increased strenght go out to Karl.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Looks like Karl is moving slow this morning. Hope that leg is okay. With the pain he has been having the last several days while moving on, he has put in some good mileage. Hope he's not rushing recovery. I was excited yesterday when he was at a good pace but worried now after his post at midnight. Thoughts and well wishes and increased strenght go out to Karl.

Just hope he doesn't develop a stress fracture from this (which one can't see on x-ray, only a MRI). Not worth it at all, IMO. Should stick to hiking and run another time. His body is trying to tell him something and he is ignoring it. I don't like to see suffering as his post said, but if you're injured, the game plan changes. If you refuse to change that plan, then there's consequences. I've been there big time. It's not worth it.
    He should go home, heal, come back, finish a simple SOBO hike and then plan for the run another time. Forget the glitz. Time to face reality. Other athletes suffer injuries. You work with it, not against it. You plan for the future so you can succeed.

I've been injured big time in the past esp with my calf, shin and ankle, so I know. I had a calf injury on the trail last year. Same cramping issue and pain as Karl. Sports Dr here in Charlottesville who has run marathons said it was likely a slight tear. I came home and doctored it for a good week. Never had another issue the rest of the trail. But I took it easy too. I worked with my pain issues. And made it.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Just before 10AM Karl was past CT RT-44 approaching mile 692 and 'The Giant's Thumb', that unusual phallic rock formation right on the trail.

At first I was figuring his mph with a start of 4:04 AM which was the time of the first Spot this morning. But now I see that he started at 4:55 AM. So, he is going at the rate of 3.54 mph. About the same as yesterday's finishing rate. I'm repeating myself about worrying about his leg but am saying prayers for him that he is not further injuring that leg.

Default Spot

This may have already been asked and answered here. If so, my apologies for duplicating. I have read maybe a third of the 1600 posts here and may have missed it.

Anyway, lots of discussion about the lack-luster performance of SPOT in the green tunnel and, just as talked about, the poor Google/SPOT maps on the "Where's Karl?" site. So my question, for those who have or have researched SPOT, are there better mapping options? For example, is it possible to interface it with better web maps? Can you bring in the AT centerline file so that the AT displays? Can it be tied into Google Earth in an automated way?

For me, the infrequent "pings" from SPOT are understandable (albeit disappointing) given the thick canopy, but the poor maps and lack of an AT centerline map really seem like things that could be very easily improved.

Good question. I have the AT overlaid on my google earth and i imagine it could be done. the technology sure should be available but who knows how to incorporate it with spot live.??
    Also, i have the AT on my Delorme Topo software but don't see how they could do that live.
    It would probably have to be done with google maps or google earth.

I am just learning google maps now.

Page 83 of 115 FirstFirst ... 33 73 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 93 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++