WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by malowitz View Post
    John - great place to stop for the night. I was there at a time when there were heavy thunderstorms and they tried to amke room for everyone. The horse trailer leaks though - you're better off in a tent.
    I stayed there that night along with loads of other hikers. Got there late afternoon and not only was the horse trailer fully occupied, they had so many hikers trying to duck the incoming storm, they also had their RV full, too. So I ended up tenting in a protected spot between the barn and the hillside. Quite a wild and wooly night with torrential rain and 60 mph winds. As I recall, it was about $5 for tent site, shower, laundry and stove fuel.

Breakfast was over-the-top delicious and worth every penny ($7? $10?). Definitely a "do again" if I'm ever in that area--one of the best hostels on the trail IMHO.

Default unbelievably fabulous!

MUST-STOP! It has a large movie collection, wood stove, the classiest and gourmet breakfast spread on the trail, accomodating and gracious owners, a ride into town, EXCEPTIONALLY clean, slackpacking if you're into that sort of thing, down right homey feel.

I stayed two nights here on my SOBO thru, and felt like quite a princess, something I desperately needed at the time. The rates are extremely reasonable considering the services. The Roans are magical unto themselves, and this hostel puts them over the top! Can't wait to go back!

Images

My visit was fantastic too. I look forward to my next visit.

Hikers must keep in mind that this is a business and prices are fair. But, the owners Mary and Terry are not there to serve freeloaders.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Super clean, very nice people (not hikers, so keep that in mind), we stayed there last fall for a shuttle to Carver's and hike back to 19E. Breakfast was stellar, fresh fruit, cantelope and blueberries, homemade jams from her neighbor, OJ, coffee and pancakes - delish.

There are cats in house, so if you're allergic be aware. Let our dog stay with no problems at all, and $2 for parking. Not a budget minded stay if you are a thru, but peaceful and a great porch to just chill out on, and watch the goats.
    ad astra per aspera

I cant say enough great things about MHBB. Mary and Terry (sp) as well as Shannon got Ward and myself all over the area during my sectioning this area over the span of 3-4 shuttles. I can only hike fri nights, sat and sundays so I cant go very far in a single trip and live 4 hours away. Never stayed here just used their shuttle and parking service. Very dog friendly if your dog isnt an *******, and on a scale this place and people are a 10/10. I will miss seeing them as a venture futher south but will def make a trip to Roan partly to visit with them.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Stayed in 2012.

I used pictures of the breakfast buffet to show what thru-hikers "normally" eat in the woods. Half my kids believed me. The other half weren't too sure if I was lying or not.

Great place - tented in the parking area, as bunk houses are not for me. Others loved it. Got a shower, buffet, nice shuttle up the road to town. great deal all in all.

Hope they continue. Looking forward to stopping by again in 2016.
    Last edited by Old Hiker; 03-24-2014 at 11:54.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Images

I thought this place was top notch. I am sorry to hear others didn't like it. Passing on a hill, etc. I've had way worse on hitches. This was really a primo place. We got out of the snow. There's another hostel less than a day north and then Kincorra or Bear the next night. Very AT, three hostels in a row.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Default Must Stay

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    This year I'm thinking of passing Erwin, Tn. (too close to Hot Springs) and try out Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast, located 0.3m west on US19E (~385.5 miles N. of Springer). I'm pretty sure this is the same place I heard a lot of good things about last year.

Anyone use this place?
    Stayed there 2 nights during very bad weather in 2011. Most pleasant stay, they did our laundry, took us into town for dinner and shopping, and they have the best breakfast ever! Hope to be lucky enough to get reservations there this year.

4-iron

Stayed there in 2013, and I can't say enough good things about the place- clean, comfortable and really nice people. Never had such a great breakfast before or since, top notch food and really nice people.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++