WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: C&O Trail?

Thumbs up Did it last year

We took our time and did it in 5 days. It was great. I would suggest earlier than later. Mud and cold is bad, bugs and heat are worse. The hiker/biker camp sites are nice little things that are kept relatively clean.

As for time, I know a couple of folks that have done it in a day and I know a lot more that did it in 2.

Quote Originally Posted by twosticks View Post
    We took our time and did it in 5 days. It was great. I would suggest earlier than later. Mud and cold is bad, bugs and heat are worse. The hiker/biker camp sites are nice little things that are kept relatively clean.

As for time, I know a couple of folks that have done it in a day and I know a lot more that did it in 2.
    One year Libby and I did it in 6 days. It was nice, and we didn't feel pressured to get the day's ride completed. We just didn't get as much time to do the leisure activities we like to do.

The official "unofficial record" is 11 hours and 41 minutes for a supported ride; and 12 hours 36 minutes unsupported.

Judy

Quote Originally Posted by starvingmusician View Post
    One year Libby and I did it in 6 days. It was nice, and we didn't feel pressured to get the day's ride completed. We just didn't get as much time to do the leisure activities we like to do.

The official "unofficial record" is 11 hours and 41 minutes for a supported ride; and 12 hours 36 minutes unsupported.

Judy
    Interesting, I was not aware people were doing this on the C&O, but then again never gave it a thought.
    Not a good place to try and set a record, IMO. Many bike paths in the D.C. area now have speed limits, because of the congestion. The C&O is also congested, at least between D.C. and Harper's Ferry. Sometimes the congestion, especially with all the kids, makes even 15 MPH too fast, which is about the average one would have to do for the above times.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Interesting, I was not aware people were doing this on the C&O, but then again never gave it a thought.
    Not a good place to try and set a record, IMO. Many bike paths in the D.C. area now have speed limits, because of the congestion. The C&O is also congested, at least between D.C. and Harper's Ferry. Sometimes the congestion, especially with all the kids, makes even 15 MPH too fast, which is about the average one would have to do for the above times.
    John, I agree. As I recall the 11 hour record was done in October 1994, and the riders didn't finish until dark. The reason (I was told) that the record is unofficial is that the two gentlemen who did the ride exceeded the 15 mph speed limit.

The first year Libby and I did the canal, I pulled a two wheeled trailer and my average speed was 6-7 mph -- especially in the stretch downstream of Brunswick, MD. Lots of mud in August 2004 (aftermath of Bonnie and Charlie), and poor trail conditions. We've fared much better that last few years.

Judy

My grandfather and I were planning on biking the Allegheny Passage and connecting into the C & O this summer. Does anyone have a guestimate to how long it would take? Is 9-10 days under or over shooting?
    Bonus dies est in silva ambulare.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by starvingmusician View Post
    Spend as little time (Cumberland/DC in 3 days) or as much time (Pittsburgh/DC in 3 weeks) as you want. There's enough to see and do to stretch the trip out...

Fonzie -- was that 3 weeks a round trip (DC/Pittsburgh/DC)?

Last year we spent 17 days on the Passage/C&O. Why so long? Fishing, swimming, rafting, tubing and sightseeing... and general laziness. After all, it was vacation.
    The Passage parallels the Youghiogheny and Casselman Rivers (until Meyersdale, PA) and the C&O parallels the Potomac. We rafted at Ohiopyle, went bum-sliding at the Meadow Run natural waterslide, went tubing in the Potomac at Harper's Ferry. We visited military sites - Harper's Ferry, Antietam/Sharpsburg, Fort Frederick, Fort Cumberland; explored ruins - the Darr Mine Disaster site, Round Top Cement Mill; went visiting in towns - West Newton, Confluence, Rockwood, Meyersdale (PA), Frostburg, Cumberland, Paw Paw (WV), Shepardstown, Poolesville (MD), Washington (DC), Leesburg (VA); saw plenty of nature, wonderful vistas, beautiful falls, caves and man's destruction - acid mine drainage, coal mining scars, slag heaps, abandoned buildings, junkyards. Visited Fallingwater and Kentuck Knob - Frank Lloyd Wright's contributions to Western PA architecture. Talked to locals, yokels, legends (Maynard Zembower is a 99 year old volunteer at the Rockwood trailhead, Bill Schoenadel is owner of Bill's Place and the unofficial mayor of Little Orleans, MD) and a reporter from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (even got mentioned in his article). Hell, I had so much fun, I'd like to extend this year's trip another week. Maybe do a return trip and get shuttled from Cumberland to Frostburg by steam train.

We camped most of the time, went to a hostel in Meyersdale and a motel in Cumberland and Harper's Ferry. Stealth camping is discouraged (read forbidden), but the C&O has hiker/biker sites every 5-7 miles (on average) until just outside of DC. Best of all, they're FREE. The Passage has very few free camping opportunities, be prepared to pay.

"184 Miles of Adventure" is a great guide -- was my first one when I was hiking the Canal in the 60's and 70's. Mike High wrote a excellent guide entitled "The C&O Trail Companion", which I would also recommend.

Judy

Because I did 670 miles thats how many are when you ride from DC TO Pitsburg and then BACK to DC.
    "It's better to try and fail than not to try at all"
    " www.myspace.com/bigfonsie "

Section Hiking to Maine. little bear's Avatar
    Images

What would you recommend for carrying my stuff, a 1 wheeled trailer, or a 2 wheeled trailer of panniers. Im guessing you have as much stuff as when you go backpacking ie, sleeping bag/pad, tent, food, clothes, water filter, plus biking gear like extra tire tube and pump. As I said in an earlier post im new to cycling, but think it will be fun, to be outdoors on a bike for a couple of days. Im already into backpacking and kayaking, so thought biking would be cool to add.

Thanks
    LB
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fonsie View Post
    last year I was a little out of shape but I took about 3 weeks to go from DC to Pitsburg.
    Sorry if I misunderstood, I thought you meant round-trip, but I just wasn't sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Halfway's Home;
    My grandfather and I were planning on biking the Allegheny Passage and connecting into the C & O this summer. Does anyone have a guestimate to how long it would take? Is 9-10 days under or over shooting?
    335 miles over 10 days -- at 35 miles per day it is very do-able, with plenty of time to see the sights. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by little bear View Post
    What would you recommend for carrying my stuff, a 1 wheeled trailer, or a 2 wheeled trailer of panniers. Im guessing you have as much stuff as when you go backpacking ie, sleeping bag/pad, tent, food, clothes, water filter, plus biking gear like extra tire tube and pump. As I said in an earlier post im new to cycling, but think it will be fun, to be outdoors on a bike for a couple of days. Im already into backpacking and kayaking, so thought biking would be cool to add.

Thanks
    LB
    I've travelled with all three (not at the same time). I like the convenience of the two-wheeled trailer... easy to get to gear, you don't have to do a major balancing act - but there are stretches of trail on the C&O where the wheels just drag. The BoB... it only has one wheel which tracks directly behind the bike, minimal drag - but I had a hard time organizing gear in the dry sack (which IMHO, wasn't large enough). Panniers... my old comfort bike had a suspension fork, difficult to mount a rack on it (and carrying my daughter's gear was the reason for the trailer)... I had everything in panniers (front and rear) on my new touring bike last year and didn't regret it, some people don't like to load too much weight on their bikes, especially on the rear. Libby and her friend Gooby carried their gear in the BoB. I still use the trailers, but only when I have to.

I found that using a trailer is like getting a larger pack, though. There's more room available to fill it up, so you do.

FWIW, I always used panniers, never tried either style of trailer. I do most of my riding on the roads, so I want a sleek profile, which you don't get with a two wheeled trailer. The inline trailers do look a little sleeker, but they also look too small for my needs.

I just returned from cycling the C&O Canal from Cumberland to Harpers Ferry. This was my longest bike ride yet. Each day was hotter and more humid than the previous but it was a fabulous trip.

Day 1 - Wednesday - Cumberland to Cacapon Junction campsite 51.4 miles
    Day 2 - Thursday - Cacapon Jct to Shepherdstown 60.9 miles (sore!)
    Day 3 today - Shepherdstown to HF 12 miles

I had never cycled more than 29 miles with a fully loaded bike so I was a bit apprehensive but this worked out fine. Wildlife sightings: turtles (including one snapper), blacksnakes, deer, woodchucks, wood ducks, pileated woodpacker, deer, rabbits, and loads of squirrels. And of course mosquitos!

Saw about 8 thuhikers in HF but didn't get any names. I was planning on taking AMTRAK back to Cumberland but a Trail Angel gave me a ride.

Ready for an encore in the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I just returned from cycling the C&O Canal from Cumberland to Harpers Ferry. This was my longest bike ride yet. Each day was hotter and more humid than the previous but it was a fabulous trip.

Day 1 - Wednesday - Cumberland to Cacapon Junction campsite 51.4 miles
    Day 2 - Thursday - Cacapon Jct to Shepherdstown 60.9 miles (sore!)
    Day 3 today - Shepherdstown to HF 12 miles

I had never cycled more than 29 miles with a fully loaded bike so I was a bit apprehansive but this worked out fine. Wildlife sightings: turtles (including one snapper), blacksnakes, deer, woodchucks, wood ducks, pileated woodpacker, deer, rabbits, and loads of squirrels. And of course mosquitos!

Saw about 8 thuhikers in HF but didn't get any names. I was planning on taking AMTRAK back to Cumberland but a Trail Angel gave me a ride.

Rready for an encore in the Fall.
    I wouldn't mind tagging along.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    I wouldn't mind tagging along.
    Let's plan on it - next time, to DC! I didn't go that far this trip because I didn't want to push my luck. I'm not sure about these 60 mile days!

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Let's plan on it - next time, to DC! I didn't go that far this trip because I didn't want to push my luck. I'm not sure about these 60 mile days!
    Let me know what's good for you, I'll make it work.

Did you "blue blaze" on the WMRT from Pearre to Fort Frederick?

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Did you "blue blaze" on the WMRT from Pearre to Fort Frederick?
    I was tempted but resisted - not out of altruism, but the perception that the WMRT was more likely in full sun. Believe me as hot as it was, I craved the shade of the C&O.

I followed the official detour between miles 89 and 85 on country roads in full blazing sun.

Probably is sunnier - but also a lot faster!

Is it actually true that the WMRT extension from Pearre to Little Orleans will happen soon? That will add some shade...

This is a great site for getting motivated for the trip

http://www.mcmullans.org/canal/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post

Thanks - that's a very comprehensive guide on all 185 miles of the Canal.

Here's another good one: http://www.bikewashington.org/canal/

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post

That is a great site..I wish I had found this before we did our 200 mile trip. I would have known more of what I was looking at.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++