WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question I've got some grey Coleman/Peak 1 mummy style sleeping bag

Is that too ****ty? I see Coleman and I think "probably not that great". I've never really had a problem with it before. I used it to camp in like 30ish degree weather. Not below 30 but probably not 40. I had no problem, I was sweating in fact.

What do you guys think? Is it worth taking it out?

Or, maybe I can phrase it a different way. If I get a hammock and bypass needing a sleeping pad, I could use a blanket or something with the sleeping bag and surely be warm.

Yeah? Neah? I really don't want to spend more money than I have to, unless I HAVE to.

peace
    fc

Question

On closer inspection it's got

nylon outside
    nylon liner
    DuPont Dacron Hollofill II polyester filling

I dunno.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by freedomclub View Post
    Is that too ****ty? I see Coleman and I think "probably not that great". I've never really had a problem with it before. I used it to camp in like 30ish degree weather. Not below 30 but probably not 40. I had no problem, I was sweating in fact.

Or, maybe I can phrase it a different way. If I get a hammock and bypass needing a sleeping pad, I could use a blanket or something with the sleeping bag and surely be warm.

Yeah? Neah? I really don't want to spend more money than I have to, unless I HAVE to.

peace
    fc
    Sounds like you're a CHEAP SOB - I like that!

I can't pass judgment on using it with a hammock, but if you're comfortable with the weight and the warmth, then go for it. Heck, I still have (and use) a couple of surplus Army "down" sleeping bags - they're warm as toast, but a bit heavy.

The bottom line on ANY piece of equipment is this: does it do what you need it to do? If it does, then fine - use it. If not, then it's time to go shopping!

Talking

Sweet! I like the enthusiasm for being cheap. I'm thinking of taking it up to Springer Mt. and trying it out for a night sometime mid-late Feb. Do people carry around thermometers? Or at least have a thermometer attached to some piece of equipment?

Images

Sweet! I like the enthusiasm for being cheap. I'm thinking of taking it up to Springer Mt. and trying it out for a night sometime mid-late Feb. Do people carry around thermometers? Or at least have a thermometer attached to some piece of equipment?
    Kid, if ya need ta ask how cold it is, stay home.

They used to make little "zipper-pull" thermometers, but I don't even carry that anymore. It's either "above freezing" or it's "below freezing". If it hurts to breathe, it's probably below zero.

Images

If you're cheap and proud of it then make sure you check out this thread.

I usually, but not always, carry a thermometer in cold weather.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    It's either "above freezing" or it's "below freezing". If it hurts to breathe, it's probably below zero.

Lol, nice. I spent last winter on the trail. Now I'm back here in MA and everyone complains about the cold (even lifers).
    But that quote pretty much sums up my feelings about it, meh.

If you go with the hammock, which I recommend, it would be best to use the sleeping bag as a quilt rather than zipped up. It is a royal pain to zip yourself up in a sleeping bag in a hammock. Plus your crushing the bottom of the insulation therefore rendering that part mostly useless. That's why so many hammock hangers use quilts or their sleeping bags as quilts.
    Bypass a sleeping pad you say, this time of year......only if you want to freeze your @^*)% off.Most folks need some kind of underinsulation in temps as high as 75°. Whether that is an underquilt or pad(s) or both.
    Check us out on www.hammockforums.net
    I'd first go here and absorb all you can www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

peace
    fc
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

Images

Do people carry around thermometers? Or at least have a thermometer attached to some piece of equipment?
    It's either too hot or too cold, anything in between is backpacking weather.

Images

But to answer your question about thermometers, there are whole threads about them in the gear section.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    It's either too hot or too cold, anything in between is backpacking weather.
    That's good. I'll probably take it easy then. Maybe I'll get out there in March/April.

gear has certainly improved since i used a coleman peak 1 bag. i used a 3#, 20* peak 1 synthetic bag on a year long trip which included a thru of the A.T....at the end of the year it was the most impressive piece of equipment that i tested on the trip. it lasted well past the year long trip and kept an honest temp. rating for about 3 years. that was 1990.

geek

You don't need the latest, greatist and most expensive gear out there...you just need gear. The Coleman should do fine..if it is too cold, then buy one of those fleece liners from Walmart...about $10 or so to go inside the bag....will be heavier than most...but if it works....do it and get out there. Spend the extra money saved on ice cream on a hot day in town or a meal(s) in town.

++ New Posts ++