WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default New SPEED RECORD attempt: 29 day thru hike.

Not to be out done by Wild Cowboy, I am hoping to set the bar a bit higher this year and go for a 29 day thru hike and beat him to the punch.

I'm confident that I can hike at the required 75 mile per day pace because last week I walked from one end of the Palisades mall to the other in less then 10 minutes. That's an average of 5.5 miles an hour.

My training regiment has been tough. I'm trying to put some weight on before the hike so I'm on a strict diet of budweiser and burgers. This should help keep the weight on as I make my weigh down south.

By the way does anybody know how to set up a tarp? I don't have much backpacking experience but I grew in the south so I know how to walk in the mountains pretty well.

(In voice of Leslie Neilson) I just want to say good luck. We're all counting on you.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Not to be out done by Wild Cowboy, I am hoping to set the bar a bit higher this year and go for a 29 day thru hike and beat him to the punch.

I'm confident that I can hike at the required 75 mile per day pace because last week I walked from one end of the Palisades mall to the other in less then 10 minutes. That's an average of 5.5 miles an hour.

My training regiment has been tough. I'm trying to put some weight on before the hike so I'm on a strict diet of budweiser and burgers. This should help keep the weight on as I make my weigh down south.

By the way does anybody know how to set up a tarp? I don't have much backpacking experience but I grew in the south so I know how to walk in the mountains pretty well.
    Don't worry about a tarp. If you hike fast enough, the rain will never hit you. JMHO.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I'm sorry, but you have already done too much hiking/research on this project for it to have quite the same flair as Wild Cowboy's hike. You need to set another, higher goal for yourself. Maybe something involving swimming? Swim across the Atlantic in 29 days?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    I'm sorry, but you have already done too much hiking/research on this project for it to have quite the same flair as Wild Cowboy's hike. You need to set another, higher goal for yourself. Maybe something involving swimming? Swim across the Atlantic in 29 days?
    Marta,

Funny you mention that, I had considered swimming across the English Channel without using my arms and legs but I thought that would be a better Summer time challenge.

For now I will concentrate on hiking.

Maybe you could summit Everest. . . in a thong.

Images

In a roundabout way this brings up one of my pet peeves...this constant one-upsmanship about speed records, "purity," etc. Don't get me wrong--I greatly admire amazing athletes like Karl, who is going for a record this year, and the woman who is going for the women's record this year.

But come on, folks, if you are an ordinary person who is going to make a stab at thru-hiking for the first time, don't kid yourself, it's plenty hard enough without trying to make it harder than other people's thru-hikes.

Now I'll crawl back under my rock.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Now my goal is 28 days.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

But come on, folks, if you are an ordinary person who is going to make a stab at thru-hiking for the first time, don't kid yourself, it's plenty hard enough without trying to make it harder than other people's thru-hikes.

Now I'll crawl back under my rock.
    Agreed.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Now my goal is 28 days.

New Statement to the press:

After hearing of team warraghiyagey's attempt to thru hike in 28 days, I will be adjusting my schedule to thru hike the AT in 27 1/2 days.

All media inquiries can be directed to my PR manager UCONNMike

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

Marta,

Funny you mention that, I had considered swimming across the English Channel without using my arms and legs but I thought that would be a better Summer time challenge.

it is possible...it is called undulation...core body management
    technically you could use your hands to skull while holding your arms still under the above mentioned means or transprtation..

it will take a while so wear a wet suit

Exactly Marta...Cowboy is probably in for a very rude awakening. I would think if he actually DOES 72 the first day he " won ". I will be amazed if he does even that.

Images

I wonder if this will deteriorate into a ford, or wind chill, or evils of motorized vehicle thread. People seem primed for some bombastic verbiage.

Where's Woodsy? Might as well get the dog and pony show started!

Dang but it is chilly here. Imagine bare hands in the wind, filtering, while talking on a hands free cell phone. With your dog, who carries your gun.
    You'ns have fun.

Images

Marta,

If you read my previous post I am currently in training to swim the English Channel in 30 min. I started my swimming lessons Tuesday night and did very well. I can dog paddle like you wouldn't believe. But, I think I would be faster doing that laid out flat overhand thing. So I'm going to try and learn it. I plan to make my swim at the end of February. I'm hoping that the cold water will make me want to swim faster.

I'll be posting my info and training regimen on www.imsofullofit.com
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Maybe you could summit Everest. . . in a thong.
    It's safe if you do it before 7 a.m. I heard L.Wolf say that, anyway.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    I wonder if this will deteriorate into a ford, or wind chill, or evils of motorized vehicle thread. People seem primed for some bombastic verbiage.

Where's Woodsy? Might as well get the dog and pony show started!

Dang but it is chilly here. Imagine bare hands in the wind, filtering, while talking on a hands free cell phone. With your dog, who carries your gun.
    You'ns have fun.
    At the spring in the shelter you are staying in, with your trekking poles leaning against you.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    it is possible...it is called undulation...core body management
    technically you could use your hands to skull while holding your arms still under the above mentioned means or transprtation..

it will take a while so wear a wet suit
    Wet suits are not allowed by the rules of English Channel swimming. Sorry, sissy.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006

Wet suits are not allowed by the rules of English Channel swimming. Sorry, sissy.
    ya really. I forgot to mention that before hitting the water you must cross ther french country side on a jetpack

Catskill 3500 #1575
    Images

I will attempt to set a new world record in each of these categories:
    http://www.ifoce.com/records.php

Images

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    At the spring in the shelter you are staying in, with your trekking poles leaning against you.
    Because you asked someone with a tent to vacate, and wanted to read poetry to the rest of them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++