WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Elk in the Smokies

A friend sent me this article. Has anyone seen elk in numbers in the park?

http://www.charlotte.com/outdoors/story/454847.html

A few years ago we drove into Little Cataloochee valley and saw about a dozen grazing in the fields. They all had collars on but it was cool to see...the tracks they make are enormous ...compared to deer.

I haven't, but I know someone that did see a small herd in the Little Cataloochee area. He said they were kinda small compared to the ones on WY and MT.

Haven't seen one yet, hopefully the third time's the charm, as they say.
    I'll have my camera ready.

Images

Cool! Hope I get to see one.

Anyone know how the Red Wolf population is doing?

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Anyone know how the Red Wolf population is doing?
    it failed.no surprise. reintroduction that is

Images

I've seen lots of elk, both in Cattaloochee and at the Oconaluftee Visitor's Center.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I saw some near the Oconaluftee Visitor's Center last year. Haven't seen any on the west side of the park, however.

As LW notes, the reintroduction of the wolves didn't work. I did hear them howling in the Cades Cove area for several years, but haven't heard than since about 1995-6. It was my understanding that the pups weren't surviving in sufficient numbers for the reintroduction to be successful. Also, many local farmers were opposed to the reintroduction due to the fact that wolves like to attack corralled cattle and sheep. It is easier than chasing down a deer.

I did see get to a wolf late one afternoon in Cades Cove around 92-93, maybe a little later. Coolest animal, very stealthy when moving. Too bad they didn't make it, seeing it was more exciting than seeing a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    I saw some near the Oconaluftee Visitor's Center last year. Haven't seen any on the west side of the park, however.

As LW notes, the reintroduction of the wolves didn't work. I did hear them howling in the Cades Cove area for several years, but haven't heard than since about 1995-6. It was my understanding that the pups weren't surviving in sufficient numbers for the reintroduction to be successful. Also, many local farmers were opposed to the reintroduction due to the fact that wolves like to attack corralled cattle and sheep. It is easier than chasing down a deer.
    That's the same reaction farmers have out near Yellowstone. Can't say I blame them, but the impact on their livestock has been pretty small from what I have read. I had the chance to watch a pack for an hour or so this summer in Yellowstone, pretty amazing.
    You can't fix stupid....

Images

Cataloochee is the best place to see Elk, early morning or late afternoon seems to be the best times. I have only seen one bull in the field next to Oconaluftee Visitor Center, it was the day after Thanksgiving 2007 and it was late evening.

The largest herd of elk live in Cataloochee valley, and many of the males are very big! You should try to get out there during the rut in October, it is quite an experience to observe. Some at the Oconaloftee center, viewed at dawn, we have not been lucky in seeing more there.
    The wolf puppies died of parvo infections, a disease introduced by dogs into the park.
    A friend and I saw a red wolf at dusk in Cades Cove a couple of years ago, following a herd of deer. It was thrilling to see that a few did survive.

Quote Originally Posted by d'shadow View Post
    The largest herd of elk live in Cataloochee valley, and many of the males are very big! You should try to get out there during the rut in October, it is quite an experience to observe. ...
    Although, don't get too close to a male during rut. I don't know much about Elk, but I'm sure they'd be just as aggressive as a moose or even a deer during rut season. Each year more people are killed by herbivores than carnivores.

I hope it works out well.
    Elk are tasty.

Right, they are preoccupied with... mating. We have stayed clear, however, there are always tourists who have to try to approach. The Rangers are great at crusing around and making folks stay back. A very
    exciting experience and worth viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by d'shadow View Post
    ...We have stayed clear, however, there are always tourists who have to try to approach.....
    Gotta let a few get close, makes great videos

Images

I was in Cataloochee a few years back, and some morons were about five feet away from several elk, who all were obviously annoyed. In a few minutes a ranger drove by shouting at them through a loudspeaker about what idiots they were. It's a shame....I'd have loved to see some elk carnage.

Images

Got a shuttle last year from Jeff Hoch of the Hike Inn, he said the wolf's didn't make because everyone knew about them being released. So they released more without the media hipe.........he says they are out there. Don't remember if he said he has seen them, but he talked about the large mountain lions he has seen, no not the smaller Florida Panthers, but the BIG boys. I remember reading the journal at Ice Water Shelter about a guy that was followed by a Panther.................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++