WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Caring for Helium bag....

Well, I have never cared for anything besides a cheap synthetic bag so I have no experience caring for a nice down bag. I just picked up a Marmot Helium. As for storage, I'm just going to hang it in my closet. Now, one other question that I had is about compressing it. I also have a granit gear comp sack. Should I roll it up first and than put it in and stuff the rest or should I just randomly stuff the bag into there and than compress. I'm just worried about messing up the down. How do you guys do it when your on the trail? If you have any suggestions for me that would be awesome. Thanks alot guys.

Congrats on the bag! The Marmot Helium is a good bag. I bought one last year and I cannot say enough good things about the bag.

For storage, you should probably not hang the bag. Most manufacturers recommend storing the bag in a loft bag, which is basically a big cotton sack about the size of a large leaf bag. Hanging the bag might cause the down to settle to much and might put strain on the baffles. Just a quess on my part though.

You might not really need a compression sack for this bag. The stuff sack that comes with the bag already compresses the bag down a lot. I basically just stuff the bag into the sack.

Good luck!
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Yea, I did alot of research on this bag and it seemed that it was a really solid choice.

Thanks for the suggestion on storage. It came with a large bag which at the time I had no clue what it was for... I guess I know now. Thats what I will be storing it in then.

As for using a compression sack. I bought the bag on ebay. It was new but I got it on ebay and they auction came with a granit gear compression sack. It did not come with the original stuff bag though. I actually talked to the guy already and hes sending it out, he thought it was in the bottom of the bag. But anyway, thats why I wanted to use it is becasue I already have it and I can get that bag REALLY small with that comp sack.

88 - I have ditched the stuff sack that came with my Marmot bag. I now use a Sea-to-Summit dry bag. Some folks have had good success using their orig stuff sack and placing that in a simple garbage bag. I have found tears in my garbage bags and now do not use them for something as important as my bag. If my Sea-to-Summit bag would ever fail it would be obvious when I closed it (if you have one you know what I mean), and get another one.

Hi Ya'll
    I have been trying to purchase a helium bag for a few months now. Marmot tells me they are sold out. Did you purchase the helium EQ? Id not , where did you get your helium from
    Thanks
    Thorny

actually I may end up buying a helium EQ if I cant find a helium shortly,as I am planning on leaving Springer on March 1st
    Thorny

I think that the stuff sacks that come with the Helium's are too small. Just put it in a larger bag and let the load in your pack compress it.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Echo what Chinmusic said. Sea to Summit bag, I use a 13L bag, also just stuff your bag into the dry sack, etc, don't roll or any of that, or else you will start to wear it at the stitching. I have had mine for two years now and love it. I also and I know many others as well who would not recommend using a compression sack. It can mess with the loft of the bag.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Well, Im still going to use the compression sack regardless. I will just stuff it and not compress it.

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Well, Im still going to use the compression sack regardless. I will just stuff it and not compress it.
    I'd sell the compression sack and just get a stuff sack, its lighter anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    ............For storage, you should probably not hang the bag. Most manufacturers recommend storing the bag in a loft bag, which is basically a big cotton sack about the size of a large leaf bag. Hanging the bag might cause the down to settle to much and might put strain on the baffles. Just a quess on my part though. ............
    All my sleeping bags have loops on the ends that I always though were for hanging them up in a closet which is how I store mine. I hope I haven't messed them up.

I have been trying to purchase a helium bag for a few months now. Marmot tells me they are sold out. Did you purchase the helium EQ? Id not , where did you get your helium
    I think Marmot is bringing the new Heliums out very soon. They are also bringing out new Hydrogens and bringing back the Lithium 0* bag. I don't know of any difference in the 2008 models except the word is they are going to have a full zipper. If you cant find a Helium you might look at the WM Ultralite or Alpinelite.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocs123 View Post
    I don't know of any difference in the 2008 models except the word is they are going to have a full zipper.
    Son of a B****!!! FULL ZIPPER???? ARGHHHHhhhh I got my Hydrogen too dang soon........

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Son of a B****!!! FULL ZIPPER???? ARGHHHHhhhh I got my Hydrogen too dang soon........
    full zipper means they'll be heavier!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    full zipper means they'll be heavier!
    In this case, don't care. I like the "blanket" option with sleeping bags, especially one I consider a warmer-weather bag. Don't get me wrong, I love my Marmot Hydrogen, but I would love it even more a bit more zipper. I may have to sell my 2007 on eBay and get the 2008 model.

Thanks for the head's-up Mocs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    In this case, don't care. I like the "blanket" option with sleeping bags, especially one I consider a warmer-weather bag. Don't get me wrong, I love my Marmot Hydrogen, but I would love it even more a bit more zipper. I may have to sell my 2007 on eBay and get the 2008 model.

Thanks for the head's-up Mocs.
    Bagh!!!! A full zipper!!!!

I agree, completely worth the weight. I'd rather have one bag that I can use most of the year and sacrifice the weight for the simplicity

Quote Originally Posted by Critterman View Post
    All my sleeping bags have loops on the ends that I always though were for hanging them up in a closet which is how I store mine. I hope I haven't messed them up.
    The Helium also has this same loop at the end. Its no problem storing the bag in the sack though since I just got a "hiking" ONLY closet

It would be nice to have a full zipper but the half is alright with me. Using it as a blanket is the only real benefit that I can see. Its still not that big of a deal though anyway, its just a good excuse to buy a nice summer bag

Keep it tied down so it doesn't float up into the ceiling fan.

No fan in my bedroom. But that is a good idea though, I would of never thought of that and could have been a disaster (if I had a fan that is)

++ New Posts ++