WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Encouragement needed!!!

Hey everyone,

So it's getting so close to when I leave and now it's seems to be raining everyday. Financially I mean. I have two paychecks left plus my income tax having had to spend the other money I saved on my Gear when my hours at work were cut and unexpected expenses. these last few paychecks were supposed to help me finish buying my gear and pay for my storage and a few other bills while i was gone leavining me about 2600 in tax refund money while i was out on the trail. In the last month I have had to have my wisdom teeth removed and now my car broke down on sunday and will be between 6-800 dollars to repair due to a stupid piece you can't buy separately but have to purchase the whole kit. I probably won't be able to Thru hike now seeing as i still don't have my sleeping bag (was planning on getting that this week after having had to return my original bag when my ex got my car impounded over the summer.) I am currently planning for 3months on trail then I'll see were i stand financially and how much farther i can make it. It's just so discouraging to know that i won't be able to finish it this year not bcuz I just can't physically do it but bcuz of finances. So thanks for letting me pour my heart out to all of you maybe in the morning I'll be happier (at least until I see the final bill for the car!) Please tell me things will get better???
    If you never try you've already failed ~ Me?? Somebody else??

Things WILL get better!!!

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

No hike is a failure. The best feeling I had was when I dropped everything and went to do something completely foriegn to everyone I knew. Most people don't understand that and won't be able to do that.

Having said that, consider working a couple extra months and hiking southbound. You can start in July and be done by the end of the year, or drag it out into Jan.

I would but I hope to be starting nursing school in the fall (i've been on the waiting list for two years) which is why march 1st was the best date for me to start.

Dare I suggest...a credit card....?

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    poor desicion making in my early 20's has made it next to impossible to get a cc...no wait I've tried to get a card and been denied so i guess that would make it impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post

Might as well. Depends on if you are going to be able to make payments when you get done. Hang in there.
    Be very tight when you are hiking and not take too many zero's in town. You can get pretty far.

My furnace broke 10 days ago. For several days I thought I would have to buy a new one, but then the manufacturer honored the original warranty. So instead of being out the cost of a new furnace I am only out the labor and a two minor parts.

Our laptop blew smoke out the keyboard, it was only 2 months past warranty.

My turn signal/flashers mysteriously won't work when the headlights are on, and when the headlights are off, the flashers go on when I use the turn signal. (I replaced the flasher relay, no luck.)

Life's a mixed bag, things will turn around for you hopefully soon.

What's wrong with your vehicle?
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

they have to replace the water pump, the thermostat and i think he said a baring(sp?) that has to do with the timing chain/belt. it was the baring that he couldn't buy separately and he had to go through dodge to get the kit. that alone was about 375.

you wanna talk little stuff that's annoying though... I can't unlock the passenger door with the key, i have a short in the door ajar line some where so my car always thinks the door is ajar (had to remove the dome light bcuz of it. and the seal on my driver's door is so bad that if it rains hard I get a puddle on my floor board. maybe some day i'll get those fixed to but right now they don't hurt the running of the car any and won't get me a ticket.

ps and off topic can anyone tell me why when i click my trailjournals link it just says coming soon???

Images

Definately DO NOT do a credit card. Horrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lizincali View Post
    ps and off topic can anyone tell me why when i click my trailjournals link it just says coming soon???
    you ain't registered over there

I see. Timing belts are not something I mess with. Sorry to see it happen so close to your hike.
    you wanna talk little stuff that's annoying though... I can't unlock the passenger door with the key, i have a short in the door ajar line some where so my car always thinks the door is ajar (had to remove the dome light bcuz of it. and the seal on my driver's door is so bad that if it rains hard I get a puddle on my floor board. maybe some day i'll get those fixed to but right now they don't hurt the running of the car any and won't get me a ticket.
    Someday you'll hopefully get a new car too.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Ask your parents if you can borrow money from them, with interest?

Sell the car?

Try to find a side job?

Hike on the cheap?

Buy a used sleeping bag?

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    My turn signal/flashers mysteriously won't work when the headlights are on, and when the headlights are off, the flashers go on when I use the turn signal. (I replaced the flasher relay, no luck.)
    This is going to sound stupid as hell, but check the water level in your battery. My Toyota started doing some stupid things like the lights coming on for no reason. Filled up the battery and it was fixed.

Check your other fluids as well.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you ain't registered over there
    I couldn't find you on TJ either. Different name?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

i was just looking over the help for the check list again and it said that direct links may take a couple days so i'll wait.

Images

Forget the car until you come back from the A.T. Check craigslist for used sleepingbag. Maybe you have something that someone will trade you the sleepingbag for on craigslist. Go cheap. Ramin is going to suck but the trail will make feel it all worth it.Maybe donate some blood. Its not much but you will be helping somebody and think of all the ramin you can buy for $30.00. Good luck if theirs a will there is a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    This is going to sound stupid as hell, but check the water level in your battery. My Toyota started doing some stupid things like the lights coming on for no reason. Filled up the battery and it was fixed.

Check your other fluids as well.
    Will do. Thanks.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++